Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Public land...
husker16
# Posted: 15 Jul 2011 16:21

Is it a reasonable and relatively easy find to buy a small acreage next to some public land and have access to hunting, fishing, etc. It just seems the amount of acreage that I want costs too much and this would be the best way to go.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 15 Jul 2011 17:07

Quoting: husker16
small acreage next to some public land and have access to hunting, fishing, etc.

and EVERYONE ELSE has that same access to the the public hunting /fishing :-( land.......i like private land hunting---- :-)

husker16
# Posted: 15 Jul 2011 17:12

I think I'd rather have access to 1000s of acres right next to my small (1-2) acre land than to have 10 acres of my own private land surrounded by other private land that I can't use.

smitty
# Posted: 15 Jul 2011 17:19

Yes, look for land next to a state forest.

Montanan
# Posted: 15 Jul 2011 17:53

Yes- our acreage adjoins National Forest. It's pretty perfect!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 15 Jul 2011 19:43

Quoting: husker16
than to have 10 acres of my own private land

it's according to where the 10 acres is located :-), i kill very nice bucks off my small private farm, i have killed a 10, 8,8,13, 12pt in the last 3 years,,,,,,,,,it all about location.

don't get me wrong, i hunt wma's, and National forest and lease property for hunting as well, but MY FAVORITE is my own DIRT!!!!!

neb
# Posted: 15 Jul 2011 22:50

husker16

My experience is great to own land next to public land. If the public land is hunted much at all the game just moves to your private. It can be a hunters dream. The key is stay out of yours till the time is right to hunt it. Good luck and I would never hesitate to buy next to state or fed. it can be awesome from my experience.

husker16
# Posted: 16 Jul 2011 01:55

Don't get me wrong either turkeyhunter, I would LOVE if I could have my own land and it would be a dream of mine. I'm just thinking realistically I'll probably never be able to afford the amount of land that I want.

neb
# Posted: 16 Jul 2011 04:09

turkeyhunter

I do agree with you on location. That is very important.

smitty
# Posted: 16 Jul 2011 09:53

Husker, what state are you looking?

husker16
# Posted: 16 Jul 2011 10:07

I live in Nebraska, so I'm mostly looking there, however, I wouldn't mind Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah...it's just a matter of convincing my fiance to move.

smitty
# Posted: 17 Jul 2011 23:39

Lol.. That could be a hard sell depending on the situation.. Luckily my wife is as crazy as I am :D... Wasn't too hard of a sale..
Good luck to you man..

husker16
# Posted: 22 Jul 2011 16:09

After a little research, it seems Nebraska just so happens to be the most expensive per acre out of the states I listed above.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 22 Jul 2011 17:46

I agree that private land adjacent to public land is ideal. You get privacy on your land, and access to a much larger public area than nobody builds on (hike or hunt, yes... but no neighbors). Makes your lot feel much larger than it what you paid for.

naturelover66
# Posted: 22 Jul 2011 19:39

If i could live in Montana or Wyoming............ i would be outta here in a minute.......... If i were you...... thats where i would go.
Take your lovely wife to the mountains for a nice weekend away........ she will fall in love with the place and its natural beauty.

Good Luck !!!
Lisa

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.