Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Property in SOCAL
wengie99
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 18:22

Does anyone know of a good place in SOCAL, that is 1 or 2 hour from Orange County, where one can buy property that is not BLM or USFS regulated for a small cabin?

The US Forest Service completely come on glued if you put Solar, even if
temporary portable type, anywhere near your cabin! Or a radio Antenna!

mohavered
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 19:16

i for one am looking myself for same, no antenna wtf ! maybe they think it will act as a lighting rod ? i dunno , is regulated by them just restricted to fed owned property ? or does that encompass public land ? good luck wengie

ptoddf
# Posted: 27 Apr 2009 20:36

There are 5 acre off grid parcels available above Yucca Valley, in the nearly smog free shadow of Mt. San Gorgonio. I have a cabin here, off grid, that I'm finishing up now with solar electric and hot water. It's wonderful, 5600', some snow in winter, dry high desert with great quiet and solitude for the artist/writer/photographer type. These were originally homestead parcels, and are bordered by BLM land, Black Mountain Wilderness and San Bernardino National Forest. There's a local old timey real estate lady that handles stuff here. I'm hesitant to mention her name/number on the forum in case of rule violations, but if you're interested email me and I'll get her info to you. P.S. I'm not involved commercially in any way, just looking to get some good neighbors up here. Best, Todd F.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 28 Apr 2009 09:49

Quoting: ptoddf
It's wonderful, 5600', some snow in winter, dry high desert with great quiet and solitude for the artist/writer/photographer type.

Any pictures you could share?

dpworks
# Posted: 19 Oct 2009 21:40

ptoddf
ptoddf
I have a 5 acre parcel on Eagles Nest Rd in Yucca Valley, but am interested in getting up even higher in elevation and getting an old homestead cabin. Can you provide the real estate lady's name and #?
Thanks, Dave

Borrego
# Posted: 1 Nov 2009 21:57

How about this/
http://www.desertland.com/Twentynine-Palms-Real-Estate/WV_0627-111-25_Virginia.html

Anonymous
# Posted: 1 Nov 2009 23:39

I've seen a ton of these ransacked shacks online and in person. They're mostly in the flat lands of 29 Palms, Joshua Tree, and Wonder Valley - what about nice cinder block abodes hidden up on the sides of mountains or in the rocks?? That's what I'm searching for ...

ptoddf
# Posted: 4 Nov 2009 13:33

Hello,
This is being typed with solar power in a cinder block cabin up in Burns Canyon, above Yucca Valley, above Pioneertown. This is not the flat scrublands. There are few usable, rebuildable cabins up here. Unless you can find one, you have to do the total building permit and multiple inspections route. A very tiny cabin is an exception. Yes the San Bernardino building department will detect new house construction and issue a stop work order if it's unpermitted. The one really good rebuildable that I know of, not a wrecked shack, has been sold. There are some smaller ones that are possibles. The real estate lady that I used and that did this sale is elderly and near retirement. She is Nita Vick. Office is Pipes Canyon Realty. web site is www.pipescanyonrealty.com. Contact her for properties for sale. She's a tough, honest old desert rat who knows this area better than anyone else I know. Best, Todd F.

dpworks
# Posted: 5 Nov 2009 00:24

Thanks Todd. I've researched the building process and as you probably know it can be pricey and time consuming. That's why I've taken up the search, as you have done, to acquire a rebuildable cabin. A cinder block would be preferable, but I'd take a wood shell any day - and then do solar, composting, etc. My property on the South side of Yucca Valley has great views and is behind all the residential properties, but It would be a major deal to swing the required 720 square feet the county building department requires. I'm in no hurry and will keep on hunting for a small-cabin-keeper! If you see anything that comes up please let me know. Thanks again, Dave

wengie99
# Posted: 2 Mar 2012 19:33

I AM STILL LOOKING. Looking for any advice. Any informations on areas. How to look for property. ANYTHING!!!

I have been using a cabin in Chantry Flats Area, and I cannot get enough. But, I am limited by the owner. Would like my own.

As stated before; I am looking for OFF GRID living. A place to unplug.

wengie99
# Posted: 2 Mar 2012 21:05

Also, I am looking for low cost. Its a small cabin. NOT A HOUSE. NOT A MANSION. NOT A HOME. NOT A RENTABLE. I WANT RUSTIC SMALL CABIN THAT WILL NOT BREAK THE BANK. When I go to cabin areas, and meet the real estate agent. They show me a house with a three car garage. It has AC, running water, sewer, a game room, a bar, a butler, and a price tag of a million dollars. I dont have million$. If I did, I would buy INCOME Property, and live off the rent. I want OFF GRID, Off the road, Low Fire Danger, No BLM, NO USFS, Cabin. Or, land to build one on.

Skiped
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 20:51

I have a off the grid cabin in the San Bernardino Mountains. It is on USFS lease land. They are pretty lenient on what they allow. I am definitely off the grid. I have a water holding tank, a sewer holding tank and no electricity. The cabin was real cheap for SoCal.

Anonymous
# Posted: 20 Oct 2012 22:18

Tell me more....About San Bernadino...
I am fed up of real estate j.a's.

Let me vent this one.... I saw a cabin on line using Redfin. It was everything I wanted in a cabin. Personal property, built in 1942, 500 square feet, tin roof, river rock fire place, no ac, no indoor plumping, loft sleeping quarters, kerosene stove and lighting. Perfection as is.

They would not sell it to me. I needed to sign an agreement to pave the quarter mile drive way, bring in power, sewer and water. They also, wanted the cabin develop into a home. The cabin was perfect as is. They would not sell it to me at any price. I went there and pounded down $9k in cash on their desk. Told them it was a bonus. No deal. The cabin and 2.3 acers was $75k. I offered 95k.... No deal without the agreement.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.