Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / How do you survey a rural property yourself?
carcrossguy
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 17:56

I own 1/16 of a section except part of it goes into a major river. Its the south east corner of the section. there is a railway and the trans canada hwy running through it. Did they survey ever 1/4 section in those days? I think you have to go by how they physically suveyed it so you have to find old monuments? there is a new monument that goes with the highway.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 18:19

i was a survey helper years ago ( run transit-level etc) and drew 100's of plats for surveryors.( part time) Go to the town hall and see if there is a survey plat on record. If not---look at your deed and it describes the property line---to this conc marker or this iron pin or this pile of rocks. Your deed will help alot in your search.

Bridge Boy
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 18:40

Turkeyhunter,

My property has a stake (metal rod at property line). With my son's new fancy phone can one actually check a some what accurate check on proper location of stake?

Thanks,

Mike

TomChum
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 20:09 - Edited by: TomChum

Are you in USA? If yes, go to your county website, look for "assessor". You are looking for plat maps that show your parcel, and ideally show it laid ontop of a satellite photo. Not all county websites have this, and also there can be error in the placement of the photo.

If you can find those, copy a screenshot of the image, and if there is photo detail then you can look for pins. Zoom into the corners and make screen prints. Certainly the road and railroad will appear prominently on the satellite photo. Corner section is good (if it's not the one in the river). My place has pins on some 16ths but has a BIG pin at the section corner.
Satellite photo with property lines
Satellite photo with property lines

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 20:31

Quoting: Bridge Boy
My property has a stake (metal rod at property line). With my son's new fancy phone can one actually check a some what accurate check on proper location of stake?

if you have a plat with a bearing and distance you can use the phone to get you NW or NE SW , SE bearing and take a 100ft cloth tape and i bet you can find the other corner.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 20:32

Quoting: carcrossguy
trans canada hwy

Quoting: TomChum
Are you in USA

i think he is in canada.....

TomChum
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 20:47 - Edited by: TomChum

eh?

carcrossguy
# Posted: 4 Feb 2012 02:00

Yale, British Columbia along the CPR railway. Homesteaded in 1913.
The section corner is in the Simon Fraser river. I guess it is easy to determine where the property lines should be in theory, but I guess I have to find out what the original surveyor actually did. thanks for the help.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 4 Feb 2012 09:23

Not sure how Canadian deeds work, but here in the US most, if not all, deeds have a description of the property boundaries. The first step is to review that description. Does it include "calls" for landmarks or other easily identifiable objects? If you can locate at least one landmark identified in the description, with the other angles and distances you may be able to work out the corners.

carcrossguy
# Posted: 4 Feb 2012 14:16

The legal descriptions for properties in that area only tell you the subdivision number, township range etc. I am subdivision 1 which is the south east corner of the section. there are 16 subdivisions in a section. each subdivision of course being 40 acres. I'm guessing that
the section corners were marked with earth mounds back in the 1880's. No records of surveys at city hall. None of the adjacent lots have surveys.

There is a modern survey monument close to my property line right on the edge of the highway that bisects my property.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 4 Feb 2012 14:45

Wow! This is a tough one. Not being Canadian there may be others on the forum with more knowledge of how these plots were orignally surveyed and marked, but if it were me I think I would consult with a local Professional Land Surveyor and get their guidance. Not that you have it hire them to complete a survey, but a local PLS has probably dealt with this issue previously and should be able to provide guidance on where to find documentation on lot descriptions and how to find the original monuments today.

Hick
# Posted: 4 Feb 2012 15:24

I used a gps. I was able to use the pin that the state marked and use that as my reference point. My land is in a square so it was pretty easy. No crazy angles.

cabingal3
# Posted: 4 Feb 2012 23:41

i dug around on my hands and knees for hours trying to find our metal boundary stakes.it took a couple of years of looking.we dont go out there that much.we finally found them all.

carcrossguy
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 00:12 - Edited by: carcrossguy

There are free cadastre map sites online for BC. I like that they have tools to calculate distance and area very easily. I attached a pic from the ICIS site. the property boundaries are in black. can see better when pic is enlarged. I can see two small railway buildings close to property line which will help me. Not sure if these boundaries reflect historical survey data monuments. I live in rain forest so harder to find details but I think you get better as you become familiar with the land.
myhouse.pdfAttached file: land survey cadastre

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.