Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Anyone have a Kubota or other small tractor?
. 1 . 2 . >>
TomChum
# Posted: 2 Apr 2012 15:02 - Edited by: TomChum

Wondering who has a small tractor, and how useful it is. What size, and what attachments? I'm getting interested in a little backhoe, to save my back. It has to be easy to store (small).

These things are expensive! However, it looks like if you get a used tractor at market value, you can re-sell it for about the same, which could be a couple years use for "free". Is this a reasonable assumption?

wakeslayer
# Posted: 2 Apr 2012 15:54

I always wanted ToolCat. Those things are great. But they are big dough !!

TomChum
# Posted: 2 Apr 2012 18:40 - Edited by: TomChum

You're right about the Toolcat (7 years old @ $28,000 used)! Heated and AC cab though. I don't think I'd want to open and close the door to get in and out.

I was referring to $14,000 for a 2008 BX24 as 'expensive", which is the going rate for the absolute smallest Kubota backhoe ( about the size of a large garden tractor.)

Rob_O
# Posted: 2 Apr 2012 18:47

Quoting: TomChum
These things are expensive! However, it looks like if you get a used tractor at market value, you can re-sell it for about the same, which could be a couple years use for "free". Is this a reasonable assumption?

Pretty much. You might even get more than you paid if you take care of the thing

I have a Yanmar YM276D. Would like to have a backhoe on it but they cost more than I paid for the tractor! Mostly I use it to bush hog, but I also have a grader box and clean up the driveway a couple times a year with it

Martian
# Posted: 2 Apr 2012 18:51

My sister has a Kabota. She loves it! Her's has a bucket on the front, and she has numerous attachments for the rear. She thinks its the best investment they made for keeping up their 20 acres.

Tom

Just
# Posted: 2 Apr 2012 20:57

mine is a B7100 HST ,bought it new in 82 3 . cyl .d. 4WD 17 HP best tractor i ever owned . never had the moter or tranny done runs great I have a 5ft bush hog ,a 5 ft blade a , 25 gal. sprayer .a 5 ft cultivator a 1 furrow plow and a 12 ft wagon .the best thing it does is work in the bush can pull a large log with ease . wish i had a hoe too many$$$ 5000$
B 7100 hst
B 7100 hst

ErinsMom
# Posted: 2 Apr 2012 21:16

We had a smaller used Kabota which was for mowing my few acres. Loved it but repairs were expensive. When we moved into town, the couple who bought our place had the tractor included in the sale of the house.

TomChum
# Posted: 2 Apr 2012 23:04

Quoting: Just
mine is a B7100 HST

I see some pretty nice ones like that for $5-$7,000. Wondering how you get a backhoe for that, and how much it costs.

Icebear
# Posted: 3 Apr 2012 03:21

I have a John Deere 2320 with front end loader and mid-mount bucket. Best purchase I have made, behind building the cabin.

mgc
# Posted: 3 Apr 2012 05:38

We have a Kabota L-4400 and a 900 RTV. Great so far, used tractor went up 2000 so far and RTV went down in price, a wash I guess. Both have been great.
DSC00138.JPG
DSC00138.JPG
DSC00147.JPG
DSC00147.JPG
DSC00685.JPG
DSC00685.JPG

Just
# Posted: 3 Apr 2012 08:38

get one easy for 5000$ used ones are not much less. + tractor

analogmanca
# Posted: 3 Apr 2012 14:52 - Edited by: analogmanca

TomChum
I am not impressed with the (newer) Kabota's, Everything seems flimsy, the frame, and steel used is so light gauge I would be afraid of twisting things.Was out last week to help a friend hookup a wood splitter to his, and lets just say the flow from the pump was far less than what the manual indicated.
I think a far better value can be found in something like a old massey44 with a front end loader (2500-4500) or similar type.
The backhoe is the single most usefull piece of equipmentyou can own, and it does not have to be a big one to earn its value.
Check out www.oilyhands.co.uk/ for ideas on homebuilt ones, I built mine for 3500.00 and saved a lot. There are even places that will sell plans or complete kits-cadplans,CDP, Greensmachine, and google can find you others.There is a vid of that greens machine backhoe on the site that despite its size would sure be handy, and I cant see how it would cost more than 1500 to build.
100_0575.jpg
100_0575.jpg
untitled.bmpAttached file: untitled.bmp

100_0414.jpg
100_0414.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Apr 2012 19:53

Quoting: Just
# Posted: 3 Apr 2012 08:38
Reply Quote

get one easy for 5000$ used ones are not much less. + tractor

Be careful, they are all over on craiglist for reasonable prices, just make sure you dont get a "gray market" tractor, if you do, find the non graymarket model equivalent for a Kubota, I know Kubota dealers will not sell you parts if they know you have a gray market tractor. They are doing that to protect their dealers.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Apr 2012 19:54

Personally, I'd want a front end loader, backhoe, roll bar with roof at minimum plus maybe a box scraper.

TomChum
# Posted: 4 Apr 2012 20:04

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
just make sure you dont get a "gray market" tractor

Excellent tip. I wonder how I might determine if a specific Kubota is gray market.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Apr 2012 20:12 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: TomChum
Excellent tip. I wonder how I might determine if a specific Kubota is gray market.

Tom, model number. If there is an add, get the model number and just call your Kubota dealer and ask. The dealer will tell you. Some gray markets dont have a US equivalent and some makes dont even have dealers here, so parts will be an issue. No parts makes it pretty much worthless once it breaks big time. You can have some stuff made. Also, watch for Chinese stuff. Many of those brands sell like crazy with dealers, then in about 2 yrs, company goes away, zilch parts.

Under craigslist, type in "tractor" for your search. That board is full of gray market stuff, but also about 20% of it is US market stuff.

exsailor
# Posted: 5 Apr 2012 11:34

This isn't a tractor perse, but it is highly flexible in its design and functions. Remember a post about a cabin on an island in Minnesota? Here is the link http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_692_0.html . There are pictures of the "tractor" in action on the post. It is a 4 wheel drive, home built "tractor" that can split wood, back hoe, grade, push soil, or anything else you build it to do. Here is the link for its plans http://www.cadplans.com/cadtrac.htm . When I get in a situation I need a tractor I think this is my future.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Apr 2012 13:52

I have a buddy who built the CAD digger from Metkit. He also built a msall crawler/dozer called a Magnatrak (maybe Magnatrack). Both nice. Ther Magnatrack was a kit, the cad digger he had to make each metal piece.

rayyy
# Posted: 5 Apr 2012 17:16

I have an old ford 8N can't kill the thing,runs like a top.I have a finish mower,dirt scoop,disks,scraper blade,post hole drill,brush hog and a lifting boom.I use that little tractor all,all,all the time.One of the best investments I ever made.

jgiffi
# Posted: 5 Apr 2012 22:54

Cat 305 and a John Deere 260 with metal over the tire tracks, looking to get a thumb for the excavator and some pallet forks for the skidsteer and I can pretty much do anything I need. Require some maintenance but I enjoy running them so I don't really care
P1010957.JPG
P1010957.JPG

TomChum
# Posted: 11 Apr 2012 06:39 - Edited by: TomChum

Got a Kubota BX24, front end loader, backhoe, brush hog, 138 hours. Photo in a Dodge sprinter (couldn't close the rear doors) and I made it home without getting stopped. Good price too.

My back feels better already. Apparently there are no gray-market models of BX24, but in any case this was a one-owner and has the local [ edit--->]Kubota Dealer's decal.
Kubota in a hi-top Dodge Sprinter.
Kubota in a hi-top Dodge Sprinter.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Apr 2012 10:46

Tom, you will be better off not getting a gray market down the road. Price is better if you did, but you pay from that point forward anytime you need anything.

jomer2000
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 09:22

Hi Just

I see you are running a 5' brush hog with your B7100 . I've got a 7100 2wd and use a 5' finish mower okay, but was wondering about a 5' brush hog being too much.

All I can find, reasonably priced, is 5' brush hogs.

So, no problems with the 5' hog?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 10:04 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

About not getting an off brand, I'm not sure about that . I have a JD 4115 and a three foot x 1/4'' hyd line cost $210. That's just stupid. Parts are still from Japan.

Owen

Just
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 15:22

it,s A light duty bush hog and i still find it a bit heavy for the 7100 but it's worked fine for many years .needs all the power she has though.good little tractor.

VTweekender
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 17:17 - Edited by: VTweekender

I have a 1962 Oliver Industrial 770 Backhoe/Loader 50HP 6cyl gas job, sucks up gas big time but is running before the starter gets a full revolution! Thing is a bear! Paid for itself in 3 weekends, I have a driveable road in now, and am in the process of digging out all the large hemlock stumps I took down in the clearing for the cabin, also digging a culvert and drainage trenches after that. Paid 3k for it, minor tinkering, fluid changes and I was working!
oliver1
oliver1
oliver2
oliver2

TomChum
# Posted: 16 Jun 2012 23:46 - Edited by: TomChum

I've been enjoying my little Kubota, has helped a lot. Paid $12,950, 2007 BX24 w/138 hrs incl 4ft brush mower. Envious of you fellas whose eqpt paid for itself already. It will be awhile for me, but eventually....

I burned and flattened 8 huge burnpiles, smoothed my road, drained puddles, mowed the field and made a campsite for friends. Been having fun accessorizing too. Carries a HUGE pile of brush on the 4-foot brushfork. Can't carry much logs on the fork without the backhoe on the rear. It's been great.
I built a brushfork. 2x1x.120wall steel, cost $80.  These cost $775 on the internet.
I built a brushfork. 2x1x.120wall steel, cost $80. These cost $775 on the internet.
Great help for burn piles!
Great help for burn piles!

VTweekender
# Posted: 17 Jun 2012 04:21

Awesome machine you have there Tom. I would love to get something similar someday after all my heavy work is done and cabin built....handy in so many ways.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 17 Jun 2012 07:46 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Mine has sure been worth the price. It's the one high priced toy I won't live without. I have a 54'' tiller. 48'' brush chopper, 6'' and 12'' post hole digger, 5' rear mount finish mower, 5' front end loader. I use them all. A nice garden, two miles of woods trails, lots of fields and yards to mow, and horse fence built.

Oh yeah and dam to break.

Owen
dam busting
dam busting

pondjumpr
# Posted: 3 Jul 2012 15:27 - Edited by: pondjumpr

I have a New Holland TC29D (4WD). I absolutely love it. I do not have a front end loader on it but would really like to have one.
My hesitation is that the smaller tractors don't dig like other machines made for digging or moving dirt.
I priced a loader for my model and it will be $3000-4000. I figure for a few more $ I could keep my tractor as a dedicated mowing machine and use other implements on the 3PT and PTO and get a skid steer loader or back hoe for better digging and dirt moving success.
I even thought about buying one, using it and then selling it after most of the work was done.
In theory, that sounds great... That is, until something breaks and I get the repair bill.

If you get a smal tractor, check out the seat. Some small tractors and some really old tractors will beat you to death and the seat are is the big issue.
My cousin has a Mahindra 20HP that is great around his farm but when mowing, it is work. the old Yanmars are the same way.
My New Holland is great to ride all day and I tow a 5" Bushhog and 6" Finish mower with ease and great success.
Good luck with your search for a new tractor. They are certainly not getting any cheaper these days.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.