Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Leased land question.
flyrdr
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 22:15

I've seen some cabins for sale in northern NH that are on land leased from the paper companies. does anyone know how these leases work, length of lease, cost, still possible to do etc.? Just thought that might be an option.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 29 Jun 2012 05:36

i have a friend in Maine--who bought a old lake cottage on a beautiful lake in northern Maine--it was leased land from paper co. This last month he gets a letter stateing they are going to sell the land. He has to let them now in 90 days if he wants to buy, The letter states the lots will be anywhere from 80000. to 699000 no doubt he has the 699000 lot. He has done so much work on the place--it's a beautiful Maine camp now. When he retired and rebuilt the whole place. He pays 25000 per year now in for the lease.

flyrdr
# Posted: 29 Jun 2012 07:15

Wow, that's a shame! I guess that's maybe not a good option to consider. I know what it's like to out your heart and soul into a place and then kiss it goodby. I once built a house for my ex wife. I bought the land, cleared the lot, designed the house, subbed out the site work and frame and finished the rest with my own two hands, only to lose it all in a divorce. I feel for your friend.

VTweekender
# Posted: 29 Jun 2012 07:30 - Edited by: VTweekender

Referring to the gentleman in Maine, wouldn't a buyer, or possibly the current landowner that holds the lease have to buy out the remainder of that lease at sale? at 25k year that could be some cash....I can't see how anyone would sign a lease and put considerable money into a cottage without that clause.....especially in this upper end market described here.

flyrdr
# Posted: 29 Jun 2012 12:22

Tyrkeyhuner, did you mean he pays twentyfive hundred or twentyfive thousand a year for the lease?

bobrok
# Posted: 29 Jun 2012 13:57

We are on a lumber lease in the ADKS. Our club lease has been in force since 1953. Email me for more info if you like: offgridfanatgmaildotcom.
Bob

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 1 Jul 2012 07:51

opps $2500 per year---it is a year to year lease---

all the camps on that lake are like that--all leased lots.
you see cheap camps for sale--BUT most are on leased lots up that way...most were the timber company's....and the person who leased the lot --worked for the timber co back in the day--and leased it~~~~ built a camp==and these camps have been sold off over the years.
His view is unreal from his camp.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.