Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Midland area cottage, housing bubble?
Anonymous
# Posted: 24 Jul 2012 11:11

I was thinking to buy a cottage around the Midland area, Georgian bay.
Where do you think the market is headed? I'm look at a cheaper place around 150k.
I'd hate to lose too much on market decline but properties stay vacant there a long time.

exsailor
# Posted: 24 Jul 2012 11:49

I have not built a cabin as yet, but from what I have seen on this site $150,000 would bankroll at least 3 or 4 new cabins to completion. I am planning on 50k for land and cabin, 40 for the land 10 for the cabin. Yes, I want as much land and as secluded as I can get. With repurposing and second hand sources it will probably be much less. Depending on land prices and how much land you want 50k is probably a high number. Sounds like you have found a second vacation retreat in prime real estate in an established community. For an estimate look at home sells in the area for a history to see if they have stabilized. Recreational property sells are generally considered a luxury market and may behave differently than conventional housing. A realtor should have or be able to locate the historical data. Maybe closure data is recorded in the county court house, just a thought. In the end a cabin has different meanings for most of us. What you are looking for depends on your definition.

Anonymous
# Posted: 24 Jul 2012 12:06

In Ontario they are strict about building codes, you can bank role a 10 sq m cabin for nothing but who want to live in that?
It not cheaper to build your own house in Ontario.

Just
# Posted: 24 Jul 2012 14:22

A good rule of thumb in ont . is pay no more than 25% more of the current ontario assement notice. as far as the future ,,i'm betting people will still cottage in 20 years ...?????? GOOD LUCK

jimmyu
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 15:51

What do think of the area around there for cottages? Tiny or Christian Island?

Just
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 22:24

I'd stick with the mainland because of that being a 4 season area what with all the sking .broader market if you ever want to sell.. but i'm no expert..

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.