Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / I'm now serious, I'm selling my land in central MN.
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 12:30 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I'm not sure how yet, but I'm done starving. 120 acres, ponds, small cabin, guest cabin, sauna, outhouse / shed in oak and maple woods, one forty. On the other two a 50 year old pine plantation, thousands are perftect cabin logs. Original plantings were 220,000 trees , maybe one third are left after thinning. Three ponds, bridge over small creek at a secondary camp with three season screenhouse and it's own outhouse and kids camp. A few nice deer stands and a small meadow. A couple miles of private trails. Total control of access to of state forest area of a couple thousand acres. In family for 100 years. No power available. Cabin runs on LP gas. Used year round for fourwheeeling, hunting , snowmobiling, and just watching nature.
I'll be asking realtors for evaluations, but I need $240,000 min.

Owen
Ps. administrator; I'll gladly donate a hundred bucks if I sell it here.
from picture window
from picture window
the cabin
the cabin
deer stand 1/2 mile back
deer stand 1/2 mile back
timber
timber

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 12:45 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I know it's crazy, but my home in rural and with acreage too. I need to choose which must go. For many years I thought I sell the home and move to the cabin, but as we get old, I think this is how it needs to be.
If you're interested please E-mail me ops600@aol.com

Owen
one pond
one pond
three seasson at pond
three seasson at pond
trail
trail
campfire
campfire

neb
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 14:12

Owen, if I owned that land I don't know if I could part with that. I'm not trying to convince you either way but you may want to rethink this. Remember it will never go down in price and not sure if you owe on the land or not but I wouldn't sell it unless I was forced to sell. Like I said I don't know your situation but if you only owe taxes each year I would keep it. You should lease it out if you can first. Now this is just me you have to do what you have to do. You will never find another spot like it in the area you live. I sold some land I farmed as a veggie farm for road side market. I put my soul and heart into that land. Like they say a lot of blood, sweet and tears I forgot worry. When I sold it I thought it was the best and now I wish I had it back. Keep us in touch with your decision!!!!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 15:41 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Unless I win the lottery, I'll need to sell. I don't owe on it, but everyday bills are almost twice my SS check. I've run myself as low as I can go waiting for a change. I've sold some timber in the past , but lately I've had an add on Craigs for cabin logs. Things are slow, no calls.

Owen

neb
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 16:12

Sorry to hear that!!! We are in some bad times right now that is for sure. Leasing or renting is that an option???

Dillio187
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 16:24

where is the land near?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 17:03

15 miles west of Sturgeon Lake in Pine Co. 100 miles north of the Twin Cities.
he's looking for you
he's looking for you
sauna
sauna
inside sauna
inside sauna
guest house
guest house

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 19:15

Are you still thinking about going back to the excavating career? It will be a bummer to sell your land for sure. Any chance you could sell just a portion of it?
Also...have you marketed your cabins you build to Twin Citians who may want a backyard studio or guesthouse or something like that? Just a thought. It's tough these days

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 19:55

I'm not too sure about getting the word out for cabin sales. I use craigs list and I'm sold about a dozen that way, but it's slower this year. I have built two cabins, two saunas and two other small buildings. That all totals about 30 days of work. I do good work and I do it at a good price. Craig's list customers are looking for that and if I raise my prices, I won't sell anything. I'm still not working as an operator. At the union hall there are still 90 guys to go out before me. The flood aid package from the state will be to late to get much done this year. I start as a salesman at a small engine store tomorrow. Those wages from there won't do much for me. My back trouble keeps me from a full time carpenter. They have work. I just don't think I can hold up to that type anymore for a whole day , everyday.

Owen

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 19:58

As far as selling just part of it. I don't think that's an option, because the real value is the controll of all the state forest behind my land. It should be sold as is.

Owen

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 20:03 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

By the way, I'll stay around here even if I sell. My heart and sole is dedicated to small cabin life. I will still build them and help all who want my help. With some of the money from selling my cabin I'll be building a shop for a roll off sauna business.
Don't feel to sorry for me. I live close to the Boundry Waters, Lake Superior and my home is at the outer edge of the suberbs with 7 1/2 acres of heavy woods. I have four horses here, dogs, two cats, big gardens. I live a cabin type of life right here.

Owen

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 20 Aug 2012 07:54

Troll, Maybe I could sell the cabin 40 by it's self. It's just that the accsess to the state and co. land is not there. If I were buying I'd want it all. Also I don't think I could take seeing someone else in my cabin as I build another one near by. But it's possible.

Owen

rayyy
# Posted: 20 Aug 2012 17:18

I'm so sorry,OC.I know when they drive you to the point where you have to make that sacrefice,it sooooo stink'sss.

trollbridge
# Posted: 20 Aug 2012 22:19

Quoting: OwenChristensen
Also I don't think I could take seeing someone else in my cabin as I build another one near by

Much sentimental value...that cannot be replaced.

flolois204@gmai l.com
# Posted: 10 Oct 2012 11:20

Is Claudia, your wife??
I found her letter in "Reminsce" and wrote to her
and then I found your site.
Very nice......and I want to wish you lotsa luck.
My hubby died July 15, but he was a full time (and GOOD) farmer here in Redwood County......I miss him, so bad........
again: good luck with whatever you decide. I know it's heart breaking!!
Lois Schmidt

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Oct 2012 17:47

Owen, you could sell, but smaller chunk of land, build again. The economy will come around as soon as the jobs killer in cheif is gone.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 10 Oct 2012 21:02

Yes, Lois, Claudia is my wife. She's looking for your E-mail.

I'm meeting a realtor Sat. We'll see.

Owen

neb
# Posted: 10 Oct 2012 21:33

Owen looks like you sre going through with it. I wish you the best of luck but that would be a hard for me to sell a piece of land like you have.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 10 Oct 2012 22:01

I'm not that sure. I will not sell for less than $240,000, if the realtor doesn't see it that way, we're done. I'd rather sell my home. Claudia gets SS next fall , so we've got that.

Owen

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 17:19

on your land u cant starve.its your land.all your work! i am sorry.i hope u have good luck selling.i am sorry.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 15 Oct 2012 08:13

The realtor realy liked the place and will be sending me a plan and price today. All the leaves are gone and it's not that beautiful right now. I guess he understands that. The four grandchildren and us enjoyed our weekend, building a stand for the oldest and putting up firewood.

Owen
DSC04647.JPG
DSC04647.JPG

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 7 Nov 2012 23:14 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Deer hunting now with my son and grandson. My boy had a big day and my grandson got out of his stand an hour before the ''big'' guy came.

Owen
my son's deer
my son's deer
my granson's view
my granson's view

neb
# Posted: 7 Nov 2012 23:24

Awesome and how could you sell that land which brings so much fun??

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 7 Nov 2012 23:34

It upsets my stomach to think about that. I still haven't sent the paperwork back.

Owen
gramps, son and grandson
gramps, son and grandson

neb
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 19:41

Owen
I know you don't live on this land full time but if I owned that land I believe I would sell my home and live there full time. I'm just saying!!!! Remember you may never ever find a peice of land like that. If I lived closer to that part of the world I would give you what you are asking in a heart beat. Hang on to it if you ccan and I know that is easy for me to say. Please keep us informed on what you are going to do.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 8 Nov 2012 23:49

I think about that a lot. My wife says NO. It's too remote for her. It can get lonely there. Just the same reason I like it.

Owen

jrbarnard
# Posted: 9 Nov 2012 13:49

I'd personally find another way to save money. They ain't making n=more land and you will never ever be able to find land this beautiful for less.

Just saying.. but I feel your pain and wish ya luck in your sell.

Russ

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 9 Nov 2012 16:20

I feel your pain. Because we love our land and could retire if we sold a portion. It was purchased in the early 1970's at a very low price. Many people have shown unsolicited interest in our property but the answer to sell is aways a firm "no" from us. So we continue to work at a job that takes us away from home three weeks at a time. A job we don't like because we love our land.

shooter mcgavin
# Posted: 10 Nov 2012 20:22

Feel bad for you Owen.
I see the smile on your sons and grandsons face. Ever think of asking your son for some help or advice? Judging from the picture, hes maybe
close to my age(40) and can probably come up with something. Us young whipper snappers are pretty smart.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 11 Nov 2012 17:15

mcgavin, you're right. He's an engineer. The only bad part is he's 280 miles away. He's definately thinking about it.
silverwaterlady, I have taken a job as a small engine mechanic as well as still building cabins. I work almost every day 10 hours a day. It's crazy how much a simple life costs. I worry less about myself than the kids starting out. The thing is they still have optimism. I havn't got so much.
Here's a picture of 12 year old Jake hauling firewood.

Owen
On the brush chopper
On the brush chopper

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.