Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / I'm now serious, I'm selling my land in central MN.
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 22 Aug 2013 06:47

In a perfect world. I'd keep my cabin and in the warmest part of the year , I'd live on my boat. What boat? you say. Well that's a good question. There are some great deals now. Then sell my house. It's not my decision to make.

O

Martian
# Posted: 22 Aug 2013 09:45

I remember when I made the decision to run away to sea....at 33! Over a 10 month period, I had lost 3 very well paying jobs to the recession in Texas. Being single, I didn't have to check with anybody! I sold, gave away, and threw away all my stuff that wouldn't be necessary on a boat, and moved aboard my little 23' sailboat. It took about 2 months to get my first position as crew on a sailboat heading for Honduras. The next 5 years were spent sailing obtaining the sea time and knowledge needed to sit for my 100T Coast Guard Master's License.

Now I'm perfectly content to sit on my porch here in the middle of nowhere and not worry about my home sinking! I've gotten some strange looks when I told people the only true function of a boat is to sink...its the only thing they will do all by themselves! LOL

To

Dillio187
# Posted: 25 Aug 2013 22:22

I'm about to head to Owen's house down by the big lake for some relief.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 26 Aug 2013 07:44

There's room. I just got in last night from ''UP North'', I didn't know it had been so hot. When we stopped at Swen & Olies the people coming out were shock at how much it had cooled off. Lake breeze I guess. Huge thunder storm coming down Hwy 61. I didn't get home 'til midnight.

Dillio187
# Posted: 26 Aug 2013 09:09

no AC in our rented cabin north of Hibbing Yesterday would have been miserable save for the lake out front. That storm went south of us, I could see the lightning to the south and east well after midnight!

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Aug 2013 09:11

OH YEAH.....SUPER HOT!!!!!!!

We were in the Twin Cities yesterday trying to keep the car from overheating while stuck in traffic (closed 494....who knew? LOL) That was NOT fun!!!

Going to "The big lake" this weekend....high 90's forecast here with 70's "up north"........that's a no-brainer!!!!!!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 Aug 2013 08:02

I sure hope I get all my building done this week, then maybe I can take my daughter to the sea caves.

Owen

Dillio187
# Posted: 28 Aug 2013 20:21

we came home last night instead of leaving this morning. I slept like a baby in my own air-conditioned bed

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 28 Aug 2013 21:40

Well it was hot, but I got two 8x8 buildings built for the CN railroad, now back to Hovland for the wrap up.

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Aug 2013 18:41

Oh man is the heat terrible today!
I am looking forward to 70's for highs this weekend up north. Today felt worse than any other day this week... by far!!!!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 16 Sep 2013 07:49

Cold here now, 38 deg. this morn. I went to the cabin yesterday in the rain to do some trail mowing. I haven't been there in several weeks. A large amount of wind damage, about a hundred trees down. No damage to the cabin or outbuildings. Many trails were blocked. Some of the trees are good saw logs. I'll need to get them to a mill. There must have been quite a wind, as many were roots and all tipped over. In one area next to a swamp about thirty trees went over together and now there's a berm of dirt six to seven feet high and fifty feet long with all the roots together.

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Sep 2013 16:38

Wow, Owen, when did that happen? Too bad.

It is very chilly now isn't it? Out walking last night with the wind gusting from the north it was really cold!!! My ears needed to thaw by the time I got home! Are the leaves beginning to change up there this week?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 16 Sep 2013 19:07

You can see some color. I think storms raged though the area two weeks ago. I think you have been to your cabin since then. I hope. You didn't have any damage? It seems that what goes through my area goes to yours.

O

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Oct 2013 08:41

Well, Owen, how did it go on Saturday? Did the couple want to buy your place?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 14 Oct 2013 19:20

No, they loved the place, but don't put quite the value on it that I do. I think we're done offering it for sale. It's so true, I do put the highest value on that property, and I always will.
Work has picked up anyway. Looks like we're on our way back. It's been a good year. We paid off a lot of debt. With another large cabin yet to build, I'll be real busy 'til Jan. I won't quit the mechanic job until spring.

SO I GET TO KEEP THE CABIN!

SandyR
# Posted: 15 Oct 2013 09:06

Have you thought about renting it out?

Dillio187
# Posted: 15 Oct 2013 09:44

that's good news Owen!

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Oct 2013 09:53

aWESOME NEWS Owen!!!

whew! I know your heart would have sank had you sold. Im not sure if the benefits would have been enough to perk you up.

It's the same with our place...I don't have a clue what a realtor would value it at, but I'm sure it wouldn't be the millions I would!!! hahaha. How do you place a value on the love you pour into something???!! And on top of it, you have all the family history at your place, too.

Popeye
# Posted: 15 Oct 2013 13:01

Fantastic!

Martian
# Posted: 15 Oct 2013 13:17

Not to be a wet blanket, but ... Do you really want to again be in a position of HAVING to sell? We aren't getting any younger, and the economy is pretty shaky. If the situation has come up once, its likely to come up again.

Personally, I'd advise leaving it on the market. Maybe you don't actively pursue a buyer, but its nice to know what you can get if and when you need it. You can always say no to any offers. Just something to consider.

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Oct 2013 15:31 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: Martian
If the situation has come up once, its likely to come up again

Maybe...but not necessarily. The economy really tanked, and owning the type of business Owen relied on for income was one of the hardest hit. Luckily, business seems to be picking up-though, the wet blanket in me would still be leary Yes, I suppose Owen could leave it on the market for just in case, but I really don't think Owen wants to sell. Besides, chances are, a buyer wouldn't come along right when he needed them to anyway. I don't know...these decisions are tough ones...and Owen's wife, Claudia, has her own thoughts, too. Garsh....it's hard

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 15 Oct 2013 21:15

Hi Owen. I am so happy to hear the good news. Glad business has picked up for you.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 16 Oct 2013 00:28

Thanks so much. Yes, now my wife is of the same mind as me. When confronted by the chance of selling, it made her very aware of how much the family was getting out of it, as we had a full house this last weekend. Maybe we had to try to sell just to reach this point. We were there tonight again to wreck the beaver dam and to have hot chocolate with Claudia in the cabin before coming home.
As far as the business, I got a good break to restructure my budget. Now after a few years, we can live on way , way less than before. I won't be doing quite as much hard labor, but more sales. I already have a new idea to launch in the spring Home and Builder's Show.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 25 Oct 2013 09:42

Owen, thought you might like these maps the NOAA just made available in PDF:

Duluth-Superior Harbor;Upper St. Louis River
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/14975.pdf
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/14966.pdf
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/14961.pdf

gsreimers
# Posted: 4 Nov 2013 23:24

Owen, not to hijack your thread, but, I have a lot on an island on Pelican by Orr, MN. I've talked to two different builders about building on my island next summer but am getting nowhere. One took 6 months to get me a rough number on what I want to build and the other has not returned my emails or calls. Do you have any leads on who I should talk to.

thanks

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 5 Nov 2013 07:48

gsreimers
I might be that guy. I've built four cabins on Pelican , three on islands. I don't like big projects, but small ones are fine. My phone number is 218-390-4586. I'm in Duluth.

gsreimers
# Posted: 6 Nov 2013 21:38

thanks Owen, been getting home late from work this week. I will call you in a day or two.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 7 Nov 2013 07:44

I'll be out of touch on the weekend, I'll be at my cabin.
pelican
pelican
under construction
under construction
island
island
dormers
dormers

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 26 Nov 2013 18:31

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

O

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 26 Nov 2013 18:37

Have a great Thanksgiving... We enjoyed the Christmas City parade and Bentleyville last weekend.. Stay warm!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.