Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Replacing a garage with a Derksen type building?
dr_time
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 13:45

I live within city limits. I have a run-down garage that is about 20X32 that I've decided to just tear down and replace with something like a Derksen.

My question is, does anyone have experience with doing this within city limits on their home property? I'd like to eventually finish it out with plumbing and electric as a "studio apartment/home office", but wondering if I can do it under the radar?

Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 15:47

Quoting: dr_time
do it under the radar?

In a city that can depend a lot on whether or not any neighbors are "unfriendly".

Question though.... would you be driving a vehicle into it for a while to give credence to the ruse of it being a garage? What do you envision the floor to be in that case?

Rifraf
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 15:55 - Edited by: Rifraf

They make these as garages with a garage door and side entry, Ive never called to see what flooring they come with, but I would hope it could support vehicles since they are being sold as garages with vehicle entry.

I wonder if those advantec floors would work ?

In regards to your question, I dont know about your town, but my old town I lived in had derksen type buildings all over the place. I dont think it should matter if you park a car in it or not. Its a shed.

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 16:33

Putting a vehicle into one with a joist built floor introduces more than the issue of simple weight bearing, or is the floor strong enough to hold the car. There are the inertial forces to be considered. Stepping on the brake stops the vehicle but because it was moving forward there is a force transmitted to the floor and the joists. That force will try to rotate the joists if they are across the width of the building as normal. Not to say it can not be built to withstand that, but that is an extra that is not considered during normal home and shed design.

Needs some answers before leaping ahead.

dr_time
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 16:36

Well basically if I had to inform the city I'd just tell them it's replacing my garage, and I plan to use it as storage and for a "shop". Wouldn't be parking or using it as a garage at all.

Rifraf, I'm planning on getting the same model you did for your Cabin build.

Ultimately I want to turn it into an apartment, but avoid permits and inspections as much as i can, because then I'd have to use licensed contractors.

I'm in North texas, I don't think my neighbors care, and the city I don't think would even notice.

Rifraf
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 20:52 - Edited by: Rifraf

MtnDon,

Do you think Cross Bracing and/or adding in between joists in the joists (if that make sense) would help with inertia transfer ?

I know hes not using it for a garage, but now you have me wondering.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.