Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Does this idea have merit?
wactober
# Posted: 20 Jan 2013 14:11

I own 5.3 wooded acres near a lake with frontage on a trout stream in MIchigan's UP. I have been trying to sell it for a while now. I would like a small no frills cabin built in southern Ohio (where I'm from). Would it be ridiculous to think I could trade my MI property even for the materials and someone to build the cabin? If even remotely possible, how would I go about advertising this? I know I would be taking a loss on the deal but am willing to do so. Does this sound creative or just plain crazy?

MtnDon
# Posted: 20 Jan 2013 15:52

Hmmmm... with the properties being widely separated, geographically I'd think it would be difficult to find someone. Seems to me that would be more difficult than what you've done already. Dropping the price might attract someone. Then you'd use the money to go on with the next step. Do you have property in southern Ohio?

I know from personal experience how difficult it can be right now to attract a buyer for real estate. Wish you luck.

wactober
# Posted: 20 Jan 2013 16:45

Yes I do have property in southern Ohio, which negates the desire to build on the MI property due to the distance. I may be coming up to a transitional point in my life which is why I woud rather use an asset other than money to achieve the cabin build. Thanks for the well wishes.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 07:49

I actually might be interested. I love the UP. I'm semi-retired from cabin building. I still build four cabins a year, but I don't have a crew anymore. I used to build fifteen each season. Working way down there is tough, but not impossible. I'm from Duluth. I could at least work out a price. A cabin shell would be the best as It wouldn't take more than a week to build. What kind of cabins do you like? I have about a hundred pictures I could send.

Owen
little
little
another
another

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 07:50

Tell me where and what your land is like.

wactober
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 10:12

Owen
First let me say I love my UP property...but at 10.5 hours away, its just too far for me to enjoy it. The property is close to the very small town of Hardwood Mi. According to Bing Maps its about 4.5 hours from Duluth. Its 5.3 acres of hardwoods and pine with frontage on a trout stream. Its also within 2 driving miles of a nice lake (walking is less than half a mile). The best thing to do is Google Sturgeon River Hardwood MI. You will see some properties listed in the same area. Look specifically at the pictures for lot#3 and lot#6. Mine is lot#4 between those two and my acreage looks just like those pictures. A cabin shell would be fine and your example labeled "another" in 12x16 would be very satisfactory. I don't have building skills but would be willing to help you with the build. If you're still interested could we talk or use email?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 18:38

OK, I'll ck it out. I'll get back to you in a few days.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.