Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Landscaping pics and ideas
<< . 1 . 2 .
trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Feb 2013 14:42

If I had my number one choice for a patio at our cabin it would be flagstone or slate. However, it's not found on our land and unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees-darn!

I was wondering if concrete could be mixed and spread out, then left to cure. Stained and then busted apart for random shapes and used for walkways and a patio?

I wouldn't think it would cost that much-not sure what a bag of concrete goes for or how big of a slab each bag would make? Maybe 2" thick?

Laid in a bed of sand (which we have tons of) I would think it would work fine Think I'm overlooking anything?

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Feb 2013 16:31 - Edited by: trollbridge

Oh my...this website will keep you busy for hours!

www.houzz.com. enter woodland gardens and there are close to 20,000 pictures to view. Also search patios. You can start an idea book that will save your favorites.

View cabins-tons of ideas there
You can also view thousand of interiors broke down by different styles or type of rooms.

Have fun

jaransont3
# Posted: 18 Feb 2013 17:41

I really like the idea of the tree "coins" for paths. I think we might try that in a few places around our cabin. We are also thinking about a couple of split rail type low fences...more for interest and defining some walkways than to act as an actual fence to keep things in or out. We have also considered doing some stacked stone fences like you find in New England in some places.

As for plants, I think we will just let the natural ferns and wild flowers grow. Not grass to mow or maintain that way. We are not there enough to do that anyway.

Dillio187
# Posted: 18 Feb 2013 18:29

thanks for the plant listings, once I get the porch built on the cabin this spring I'll have to build a couple small boxes for some basic stuff.

Malamute
# Posted: 20 Feb 2013 13:20 - Edited by: Malamute

I'm trying for natural stuff as much as possible, I'm planning on trees, but never seem to have time when its tree season.

Here's a couple pics of the yard, or from the yard,

Blue flax I planted in the yard, with native grasses and sage (and dog). I planted many more wildflowers last season, Indain Paintbrush, and other local stuff, they should start coming up this year.

Out the front gate,

Front yard, with some of the native grasses,

Don't know if anone else has noticed, but photobucket has made some changes, and seems extremely slow and frustrating to use any more. I was going to find more pics in my album but gave up.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 20 Feb 2013 14:06

I dont think its what your looking for as far as land scaping, but this time of year is hen you should prune fruit trees, and plan where you want to plant new trees (spring just after leaf out is when its best to plant).

I've been busy clearing unhealthy trees from my lot, cutting firewood for the 2026 winter (got enough to last till then). pruning the overgrown apple trees and what i can for hawthorn and cherry trees. cutting vines from oak and ash trees and harvesting the dead and dying elm and solf maple (they won't get any bigger and will just rot away till they fall, cut them while they are still solid).
landscape work
landscape work

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Feb 2013 21:35

How about a glow in the dark pathway.........like on the way to the outhouse kinda handy.

I wonder how long they would glow? Hard to get much solar charge if it's in the woods.

It is a brush on paint made by Rust-Oleum.
glow_in_the_dark_pat.jpg
glow_in_the_dark_pat.jpg

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.