Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Ohio: what is a permanent dwelling?
Smawgunner
# Posted: 19 Mar 2013 22:32

We'd like to put up a small cabin (more like a big shed) and run electric to it at least. But we don't want our taxes to go sky high if they deem it a livable residence. So what causes it to cross the line from a shed to a home? For example, my friend has a house trailer in hocking county and it is NOT a permanent dwelling. BUT...had it had a skirt around it,...well that crosses the line making it permanent.

First post...thanks guys!

VC_fan
# Posted: 20 Mar 2013 15:06

I have some property in Vinton County (just south of Hocking) that came with some protective covenants regarding "dwellings". I've asked a realtor and he didn't have a definition. I'll anxiously await an answer if anybody happens to know for sure.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 21 Mar 2013 14:37

Also a Vinton Co Oh occasional resident, and contacted county tax office. They couldn't tell me what would/wouldn't increase taxes either!!! They did say they check the property every year for the first 2 years after it changes hands, then less frequently.

They had my weekend cabin taxed as a full-time residence, and all cleared land. It has no water, electric, and is all wooded. They reassessed my taxes as a result. But I am nervous about being taxed on minor improvements (e.g. shed to supply my local burglars with things)

Smawgunner
# Posted: 21 Mar 2013 18:02

I talked to my realtor and he said that in Athens county, if a structure is permanently secured to the ground with a foundation or pilings, it is a taxable improvement. If it's on a skid or simply placed on the ground it is not.

bldginsp
# Posted: 29 Mar 2013 13:02

What causes it to go from a shed to a home, from a building codes perspective, is what occupancy classification the building dept. thinks it is. The codes give them the authority to declare a building an 'R' occupancy (residence) rather than a 'U' occupancy (utility, like a shed or garage) depending on what they believe the building is actually being used for. If you apply for a permit that's the first question they'll ask. If you get a permit for a garage and then later use it as a residence, if the want to they'll say that the building is being used as a different occupancy than what was allowed and they could tell you to move out.

The assessor only finds out about any building on the property when the building department tells them about a permit, and they tax the building according to the rules of the county/city/state where it is. Generally I think they charge more for a residence, but maybe that depends on where you are. Generally they are taxing you for the value of the land and improvements. The more valuable the improvement the more tax.

Sometimes assessors find out about improvements in other ways, and will assess you how they see fit, depends on how they work and how much free time they have to go chasing roofs in rural areas.

I guess different building dept.s and assessors offices will have different criteria for deciding what's a residence ('R' occupancy) and what is different. You need to scope out how they do it where you are.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Mar 2013 09:06

In my county where my cabin is, you can not occupy it for more than 60 days a year. But its build to the same specs as a home, ie insulation etc. This just keeps the taxes lower to make a vacation cabin affordable. Now if I stayed for 65 days once, its not like I'd be fined. Basically, it just means, no full time residency. Or pay the higher taxes if you do.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.