Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / I think I found the little place
Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 10:51

I probably should have given a little intro first, I'm sorry.

I am 49, and live in MI. I am a transplanted southerner. Been up here a good while.

The last 7 years I have lived in an Old Order Amish community. Boy I thought I knew some things, and did I learn different! I have made some friends and learned alot over the years. I've had 3 small farm/homestead places over the last 19 years.

I used to take my kids camping when they were little. We went all over and just plopped where it looked good. We homeschooled too, so this was a great learning adventure.

My kids are all grown now. Some of them are moving to SE Ohio. There are grandkids involved, and my place I have now is too large anymore.

After some years experimenting, I came to a conclusion of what I want, can afford, and can live with.

A smaller type one story cabin on some land, compost potty (big fan of humanure stuff), off grid with maybe small solar, I don't need much. I prefer rainwater system and have used all of what I speak. So I know how and have all the hookings-up to do it again, am doing that now.

What I don't want is to be stuck in the middle of a big hunting property where I'm worried about "loose cannons"..we have that here. I have nothing against hunting and I have brought many a bird from the egg shell to the table.
I've had horses, goats, rabbits, chickens/geese/ducks/guineas and of course cats and dogs. I've had more big food producing gardens that I can remember.
So I know pretty much what I'm wanting.

I found a place in Vinton county, Ohio. I'm gonna go have a look-see after Easter, weather permitting.

I'm not rich by any means, but I have a decent independent income, a small bit to put down, and might be able to get seller to do land contract.

Wish me luck and thank you all for being here!

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 11:05

Best of luck to you...it sounds like you know what you want and need
I'm excited to hear more!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 11:05

ps: i took this some years ago when out helping with a frolic (barn raising), i had a small newspaper then and also wrote for a small county paper. they let me stand at the road with my camera. everyone loves this picture.
working_together.jpg
working_together.jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 11:07

thanks trollbridge, it sure is fun reading thru all the posts on this site. my head swims.

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 11:07

That an awesome photo...it's impressive how quickly those barns go up, but then again...that is a lot of men working!

VC_fan
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 11:13

Grandma:
As my name here implies I'm a huge fan of Vinton County. I think it would be a great choice for you. I've paid quite a bit of attention to the real estate market there for a while. If you have any questions let me know.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 11:14

it really is incredible to watch. and help. there were over 100 men folk that day, plus the womens getting after meals and making a quilt and canning up an entire pantry for the new couple. the little ones were right in there too. this barn was done in one day, including the metal roof. the site and if they want foundation, is already prepared ahead of time with materials all there and the saw mill running. if you come help out, you get to sit and eat with everyone. man is that something.
they are good people. but Granny is not wanting to be parted from the little ones.

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 11:17

Yes, I understand wanting to be near the grandkids, they are a whole bunch of fun

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 11:22

VC fan: Thank you! i will bet i'll have a passel more questions before its all done.
i'm sure hoping to get there after Easter to have a look.

trollbridge: here is one of my latest little guys, Noah:
noahatlunchmarch.jpg
noahatlunchmarch.jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 11:54

on the subject of heating cooling.

i have wood stoves, coal stove, and a wood/coal cookstove.

this is all well and good if you can get after your own wood, or pay for it, or haul the coal. i get that in 40lb bags.

my issue is that after all that back breaking work, and tending the stoves at 2 am so they don't go out..i have some rough spots on my bod that are saying less is more.

forgive me but i will ramble a little here..

at one point i actually thought of hiring someone to sit by the stove, use the wifi or tv, provide snacks and a potty, pay them minimum wage..just to keep the stove going so i could get a full nights sleep.

i've come to the conclusion that i won't live forever, and am getting there every day.
so 2 things: not waiting till i'm past the expired date to do what i really want to do, and set it up so it IS do-able.

a smaller cabin is going to be easier and cheaper to heat and cool. if it has a backdrop of trees there will be shade too. if there is a woodlot, one can even pick up dead fall for a small woodstove.

i have been considering using ventless propane wall heaters. i have some in storage.

the place i found has a window a/c and its small enough to reasonably cool. even in the boonies it gets hot at some point. menopause aside, i got through some of that with a soaker pool of sorts. but last year it really got hot a few times and i wanted to climb underground.

a small woodstove is just that. it won't take alot of wood at once and has to be kept stocked.
i have kerosene heaters but don't like the smell or soot if they run out and smoke.

i am foreseeing a time when family/friends will come hang out and camp a few days. that will be in decent weather.

i just have some jumbled thoughts about different things and it helps to get them out there.
i just am thinking of when i get to that place where i have to slow down and take things easier, live on less money, and still be able to live how i want.

i go to the big city to visit the kids and no way would i ever want to live there again. crazy crazy. too hectic, too busy, just nuts.

i am pretty happy with my own company, but like people too, but not 5 feet away from my home. i have a huge collection of books and magazines, like i am sure you all do. i use the internet but can live with smaller time allotment. i have some ideas for that.

i recently saw a blog where a woman who lives in her van, put flexible solar panels on the roof. i have one panel, batteries and inverter/controller, if i could remember how to use them. a small windmill would be an idea too.

what do you think?

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 12:13

is there a way to send a member a private message on here?

on washing laundry: being just me, and not a clothes horse, i would hang the least dirty clothes on the clothesline just before it rained.

i would do up my laundry in a bucket and hang out. i make my own soap, cheap and effective: 1 big box of borax, 1 big box of baking soda, 1 big can of generic oxyclean. dump in bucket with lid. last a long long time. do it outside though its dusty.

if i had for some reason a ton of heavy laundry, i would load it up and go to town but that was rare.

in the summer months i just stood on back porch, rinsed, soaped and rinsed again. wore my old small tshirt and a pair of boxers. hung em up to dry when i was done.

trash: one can for metal, one can for glass, one for burnables. a smaller bucket for scraps for chickens. and try not to buy anything in glass or metal!

i have a tool closet, a couple good quality made-up first aide kits. cb's, shortwave. and did i say Books???

sorry, just aimless rambling.

i have raised beds and i also use tires to plant. the tires work so good. no weeds, soil warms early. good drainage, and also keeps the soil moist too. what i'd like to do is make a sort of enclosed bed to put the tires, so they aren't an eye sore, and use those.

fruit trees are good, but they need to pruned and around here they need either dormant tree spray (about now) or you got to spray them. one thing i did use is some tobacco in a big water can. let it steep few days. strain and spray. but it has to be done after every rain.

i have a good burn ring and thats where i burn trash. not on a windy day, and not near anything.

hattie
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 12:47

Welcome to the forum Grandma Off Grid...It sounds like you lead a very exciting life. You mentioned the problem with stoking the woodstove at night for heat. Have you thought about a pellet stove? They self-feed. They do use electricity though, so I'm not sure if that would work for you being off grid. I don't know how much power they actually need. Lots of people around here use them just so they don't have to worry about keeping the wood burning. You just have to make sure there are pellets in the hopper.

We have raised bed planters made out of concrete. They cost a bit to put in, but will last forever and warm up nicely when the weather gets warrmer. Being raised, it is also good on your back as you can sit on the edge of the planters and garden that way.

If you can find a place with a cold cellar that would be great. You can store your canned goods down there and when the hot flashes come, it will give you a place to hide out for awhile (not that I'm speaking from experience or anything *LOL*).

Good luck with your adventure. Keep us posted how you make out.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 Mar 2013 13:10

*chuckle*!

what i'd like to for cold storage is what is done here alot. a north sided area is picked and a little ice house made. its built like a small shed and sprayed on insulation. if this doesn't work, could do the dug in root cellar? winter time not really issue if have a good solid built box on back porch.

the feed store here has a pellet stove. it looks nice and heats well, but money is an issue so i have to use what i already have or implement something i can afford.

i have a black rubber tub. its a small stock tank. i would sit it outside, let it fill with rainwater, and it be good and hot by afternoon, was nice to soak in LOL

on the lighting thing. i do have electric at my place now, but being cheap i was doing some things to save money. so i have oil lamps, candles, and bought bunch of them outdoor solar yard lights. caulked them in to a holder, hung outside in day, bring in at night. they really work good and you can replace the batteries.
i need some more though.
with the oil lamps and candles, i have enclosed holders, so put plant hangers on the big posts and hung them there. the solar lights can do same with less work and i saw wally world has them on sale for 97 cents right now!
in the daytime, just pull open the curtains and thats plenty of light.

Hattie thanks for replying on my rambles. i hope i'm not boring anyone. LOL

my old laptop is about to hit the dust so i'm going to go get a new one. i was reading how to tether my cell for internet, i don't stream stuff so it might work. since i pay for the cell anyway.
i like the old black and white detective movies. bulldog drummond, mr. wong, sherlock, etc. so i want to make sure i get a puter i can watch those on.

sorry for aimless muttering LOL, i am excited to get the show on the road.

thank you Hattie

cabingal3
# Posted: 24 Mar 2013 14:13

Grandma Off Grid
u are my kind of gal.love your name too.love all u have been writing and thinking.keep it coming.

cabingal3
# Posted: 24 Mar 2013 14:20

i was thinking of this for our cold foods.
i was thinking there is only one month out of the whole year there is not a chance of frost in our woods.
i told the mister...why cant we have our water as is-cold and just mix up some powered milk in it and drink as is.then no milk storage.
on meats.can up venison in small jars-just enough for him and i to have one meal so as not to store in a fridge.
i am thinking ways out of having to have a fridge although if we did-we could get a propane fridge.
theres ways around storing eggs.i am not a big fan of eggs.there is ways to cook and bake without eggs.there is egg replacer u can purchase and there is thick plum paste u can put in cake recipes that makes a cake with no fat.
so i am always thinking on these things.
i loved reading all u do grandma off the grid.i shall be one soon too.hugs cabi

buckybuck
# Posted: 24 Mar 2013 15:13

Geez, Vinton County is getting crowded with Small Cabin members. Or, as most of us Vinton County expats refer to it, the Hocking Hills' tony neighborhood.

I will caution you, however, that at least in my 'hood, it's not unusual to hear bangs from time to time. I'm used to it--you gotta expect it in an area with as much public hunting acreage as there is in Vinton County.

You're also welcome to contact me if you have any questions--just check my profile here for contact information. And don't forget the Wild Turkey Festival in McArthur May 2-5. It's the social event of the year!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 24 Mar 2013 16:03

oh thank you cabingal..bless your heart.
your spot on about living without a fridge. i have a small dorm style one but find i don't really use it for anything so i unplugged it. there is plenty of shelf stable stuff to get, plus the canning and all and dehydrating. and more of that every time i go to stock up. at one time i had a small buckey suspended over one of the rain barrels that was inside, and had some food items in the bucket with a lid.

bucky, no i'm not worried about a bang now and then. not afraid of guns, we are all armed here. its the yahoos on the other end that kind of make me nervous. i was reading on the other Vinton co peeps, and some saying how hunters were trespassing and cuttin through their property. well, we have that here too. "sigh"..the Amish here use black powder but they are the most conscientious of all. i've had the doofas across the dirt road on a postage stamp yard, with targets against the electric pole (where also the burn can sits against), and putting targets out in corn field, shooting high powered rifles, straight at the direction of the Amish farms. they were laughing about how they missed the target completely. now where might them bullets be heading? we have little Am-lets walking down the dirt road to and here and yonder, and Grannies and all. makes me nervous. this is even worse when its dark out and theres alcohol involved. sorry to get on my soap box.
this is one time i was relieved about the ammo shortage.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 24 Mar 2013 16:09

hey cabingirl, i have stored eggs before by gathering them fresh, don't wash, just wipe off any dirt or whatever, and put in big glass jar with regular oil in it, they are submerged. washing the eggs, like tuber and root crops, opens the pores and they rot faster. so if the eggs are pretty clean, just wipe off and store in jar of oil. put under cupboard or out of the light. the problem of course is store bought eggs its hard to do this with. (already washed)
i always washed eggs before use. they were fine.

cabingal3
# Posted: 24 Mar 2013 17:13

Thank u dear Grandma Off the Grid.really enjoying your posting and practical ways u approach things.
sure glad u joined us.hugs cabin

rayyy
# Posted: 25 Mar 2013 12:39

Hi Gramma.I'm learning as I go along.Being off the grid has been challenging and (actually)FUN!I use to heat my big farm house with a big Vermont Castings coal/wood stove.I could stoke it with a full skuttle bucket of chestnut hard coal and it would last a good 10 hours.Now day's you can't even buy them type of stove anymore.Government regulations,they know best!(YAHHH!)Now burning wood in the old cook stove is a pain having to keep an eye on it all the time.I do have the propane heat for back up,which is nice.Costs me $75.00 to fill my 100 pound tank.It comes on when the tempeture start's to drop off from the wood stove fire going out.Work's pretty good for me.

exsailor
# Posted: 26 Mar 2013 09:34

Hi Grandma Off Grid,
Welcome to our little world, you fit in here better than you could ever know. I enjoy "your rambling" as you call it. You speak of your life's experiences and I find so much knowledge there. The old ways are often simpler and better. You have already found the solution to sleeping through the night. You have propane stove in storage set it up to come on at a "cooler temperature", load up your small wood stove. As it gradually burns down and the house cools then the propane comes on to maintain through the night. In the morning fire up the wood stove and shut down the propane.
Take care and keep your thoughts and plans flowing. Anything can be accomplished if you believe your dreams. Yes, I have my plans and dreams and they include a log cabin on some country property.

tnky03
# Posted: 27 Mar 2013 23:35

Welcome Grandma off Grid,
I am another Grandma and currently off grid, too. I haven't been on here very much lately but we recently got a new laptop, which holds a charge for several hours, so maybe can join in more. I, too am enjoying your posts. We lived in Amish country here in KY for a couple of years but moved last year in order to be closer to grandkids. We are on 6.5 acres about 15 min. from a decent sized small town and hope to build in a few months or buy a shed and finish it inside. The past nearly two years have been in a motorhome, since the last move completely off grid. I must admit there are times I miss some of life's "luxuries", but all in all I love the simpler life. I'm not a spring chick anymore and can't do all I used to but I love raised bed and lasagna gardening and hanging my wash on the line to dry. I hope to do a lot of canning this year. We heat and cook with propane and have two marine batteries and an inverter which works well for lights, a small tv and charging cell phones and laptop. We have a generator (which is not running well at present) but keep batteries topped off by charging with car. This year we plan to get some solar set up and rain catchment in place, though we do have a small spring. If I was a lot younger I'd probably be in Alaska but at this point in life like milder winters, which KY surely has provided well. Life is good, sometimes we just have to slow down a bit to really realize it and enjoy. I look forward to seeing your future posts.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 28 Mar 2013 05:31

thank you for all the wonderful welcomes!

the most defining characteristic i personally have seen with the Amish is frugality. man do they know how to stretch a dollar!

having struggled so many years trying to keep the on grid life for my family, and now just being me, i enjoy find ways to live more cheaply.

it seems the little place i found may be gone, as no more replies from seller. that is ok, i would love to see that seller get his money and move on, no problem at all with that.

i have my place now, which 3 seasons out the year does not need heat or cooling. my light bill if i use it, runs about 16$ a month. or less. my yearly taxes are about 80 a year. my place needs some repair work but at that price (no mortgage) i think i will be able to save up for it.

i believe i have found the solution for cheap internet, because i do like having that, and need a cell phone too. i am looking at a ST phone, an android, its on sale for 142$, then a 45$ a month for unlimited cell and internet. thats pretty cheap. i too can use the car battery to charge up the phone. very good idea for just charging the phone.

a few years ago when my nephew was in the sandbox, i planted 2 apple trees with yellow ribbons on them to support him and prayed daily. he is home now and doing well. my trees started making fruit last year.

at one time i did have sat dish and all the hook ups. but geesh it got to 80 a month and i rarely watched it. it will make a nice bird bath when i can get it down.
i do believe having some food gardens is important. if anyone asks me about starting their own, i just say pick 3 things you like to eat and plant those. and keep the herbs on the porch in pots. of those i grow parsely, sweet basil, and oregano. pluck the ends off every week or so and throw in bowl on table. when they dry, crush with fingers and put in jar with lid. i got 8 pickings last year or more and that last a long time.

of all of it, i think healthcare is my biggest issue. i have a few health issues that aren't too much to manage. running a little homestead does help alot to keep one busy and active. no insurance here, so i use a free clinic for med refill, and some of the rest of it i just live with. there are alot of things over the counter now. i remember when you had to go to doc and get script for stuff like yeast infection cream. or a uti test. that is OTC now. thankfully i don't have those issues now, but its nice to know i can get the supplies.

few years ago i made a little "stove" that works good. large coffee can with holes banged around the top for air. fill with dirt or kitty litter or whatever on bottom and sides. put smaller can inside surrounded by dirt, with a few air holes. in that, put wadded up TP and pour a little HEET on it. regular rubbing alcohol will work but doesn't last long or get that hot. i only use maybe a tiny capful or 2. light that, place on small grill fitted to large coffee can. put my coffee perker or small pan on it. it works good.
when i was camping i just wadded up the TP in the bbq grill and did that. the one that sits at the campsite.

i've done many ways of gardening and like the tires the best. but you can use a bucket too. throw some small gravel or rocks in the bottom and some sticks, for drainage, then your compost soil. then plant and water and walk away.

i'll add this and quit. i am a huge fan of the humanure thing. i found out about it by accident. years ago family visited me on a different place i had. stayed in my camper outside. i dug a small hole for septic to go in. after they left, i moved camper, and the chickens pecked in that area alot. thn i planted a garden there. man i had vegs triple size.
so i use that now, let it sit a year or thru the winter and use it in spring. nothing better than seeing that compost pile steaming in december LOL

ps: one last, i do all the vet care i can. shots and so on. doctored many a critter.
this saves alot of money!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 28 Mar 2013 05:47

don't mean to come off as know it all. i certainly am not!
i just see so many peeps out there wanting to live this way and yet too afraid to let go of the luxuries and do it.

if you live out in the boonies, sometimes its easier and cheaper to just buy your eggs and other stuff from your neighbours. all animals need tending all year long. if one just needs a dozen eggs or so at a time, its cheaper to just get them from locals. i can walk in a few directions less than a city block and get eggs, honey, vegs, maple syrup, etc. its all fresh and made right there. i can get a fresh prepared chicken for a buck and during the winter bigger supplies of other meats.
and everyone trades and barters too. often times i've bartered work or rides to town with swapping this stuff. probably gonna try this for some of the work i need done.

i had some broilers that were ready to butcher and my back was hurting. i did a few, then loaded rest in crate, took to Amish nieghbor and while they did it for me, i went and got a load of kerosene for them. that was the trade.

when i got the old place, Amish down the road fixed part of the roof for $167.00, and 6 bags of ice. it was a good deal.

thanks for listening to the rambles

tnky03
# Posted: 28 Mar 2013 07:58

Quoting: Grandma Off Grid
i've done many ways of gardening and like the tires the best.

A friend of mine is giving me several old tires to use for gardening. Have you ever grown potatoes in them? I've read about stacking them in order to grow lots in a small space. Some neighbors are interested in sharing on a bottle calf and a couple of feeder pigs for next winter. I may try that as I have raised a bottle calf before and really enjoyed it. That is until he was around 500 lbs. and began to chase me all around when outside and kept jumping the fence and eating my garden, lol. I believe he thought I was his mom. It would be a good experience for my grands to help in feeding the animals. They live about ten min. away. If anyone had ever told me I'd be living this lifestyle in my late fifties, I'd have said they were crazy. Yet, here I am and love the freedom.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 29 Mar 2013 09:39

*chuckle* so hear ya! yes on the taters. you can use a tire just fine. if you plant early, you can get 3 harvests. heres a pic of one tater patch i love them cause no weeds, good drainage, but also hardly any watering. kind of dark hope it comes thru ok?
tatersintire.jpg
tatersintire.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.