- Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Quebec construction code for chalet
rDmusic
# Posted: 24 Jul 2013 10:12 - Edited by: rDmusic

hello
I am a first time poster.
My question concerns the
building codes for a chalet in Quebec. What defines
a chalet as opposed to a house. are the construction requirements the same for building materials and permits.
My residence is all season two story 20X 30 on a floating concrete slab. referred to by the builder and seller as a chalet. it was constructed in 2000.
Could any construction issues be circumvented by claiming "Chalet "
construction code and permits regulations are different from a "house"
thanks
rD

morock
# Posted: 10 Dec 2013 19:36

Nope. All construction must conform to The Canadian Building Code.
The issue is has it been inspected? Was the design signed off by an engineer or technologist? This is usually required to get a permit. Was there a permit?

RnR
# Posted: 7 Mar 2014 17:24

Hi rDmusic,

Here is some info on the water/sceptic side of things. Based on the Provincial regulations, if you have a rural property that is not and/or cannot be connected to municipal sewage and water, has 3 bedrooms or less, and the property is occupied for less than 180 days per year and does not have a pressurized water system, it is permitted to merely have a properly situated outhouse (toilette sèche) and a drain pit for grey water.

My view is that most people consider a "chalet" or "cottage" to basically be a fully functional house in the country with running hot water and flushing toilets which requires a well and a full sceptic system. This is where, I think, a lot of the cost lies for a "cottage" as many people understand it.

If you want to read more google Guide technique sur le traitement des eaux usées des résidences isolées. The guide also includes all the plans to build a proper outhouse and several drain pit options in section 14.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.