Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / help with OBC and two storey sheds please
stos
# Posted: 26 Jul 2013 22:20

Today I showed up at my property in Ontario to find a building official had made his way onto my land and posted a stop work order on two sheds I have built. One is 8x8 and the other is 8x12.
His written reason for the stop work order was his claim that they are two-story sheds.

The 8 x 8 shed has a second-story loft with walls about three and half feet to where the rafters begin.
After cutting away the bottom of the rafters I can stand up in the middle at 6 feet tall.

The 8 x 12 shed has a second-story with absolutely no space between the bottom of the rafters so one can only kneel and just barely with a space that is probably about 3 feet in height.

I know for a fact that the same building official has no problem with my neighbors sheds which are two storey and have a lot more headroom upstairs than the 8 x 12 shed I built. My neighbour says that because they are buddies and share beers together regularly, he told him it was no problem. I based my 8x12 building design on the fact that he had told my neighbour a building like that was no problem?

What can I do? Are loft sheds illegal in Ontario and can I fight this?

I've been clearing this land for over a year by hand, I have all the trees down and the land graded, I was just about to move my trailer onto the property and start to get to work on the foundation prep and plans/permits etc..

I've read on here, that if the sheds are put on skids, that they are considered temporary> is this true. they are both on pads with enough space to slide skids under.
Or could I buy trailers and slide the trailers under them as temp sheds?

I've also read that sheds may not be permitted in ontario/ some municipalities before a primary residence is up.
If this is the case, has anyone challenged this?
I am undergoing a change to an off grid and sustainable lifestyle. I've sold my house and am living in a trailer while I build my new smaller off grid passive solar house. and if I can't have a shed or two for my batteries and tools before I construct my house, how would I ever make a go at surviving long enough to build a house.

I really think someone should push back on the behalf of the green movement, I can understand OBC regulations for safety. But these pointless regulations that try to keep people from using their land without spending thousands of dollars for the right is criminal.

sorry for the rant. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also do I have recourse that he came onto my land, looked inside of both of my sheds and did not leave the doors closed after he left. he just left them wide open which is how they stayed for two days until I found the notice?

Just
# Posted: 27 Jul 2013 10:47

He may be acting on a complaint from a neighbour .you need to make peace with him. call him and ask if he could explain the law and a fix !!! PS> he" has" the right to inspect your property , don't call him on that ,it will just hurt your case..

Truecabin
# Posted: 27 Jul 2013 11:49

Quoting: stos
My neighbour says that because they are buddies and share beers together regularly, he told him it was no problem.

are these sheds visible from the road or did somebody turn you in
maybe you need to have beers with your neighbor

ICC
# Posted: 27 Jul 2013 21:01

The starting point is to comply with the stop work order.

Then research the laws applicable in your area. Local jurisdictions often have the power to make their own rules. They must be made available to the public and you should make knowing them number one on your to do list.

stos
# Posted: 28 Jul 2013 02:01

The sheds can be seen through the trees.

After reading all of the horror stories on here of people trying to live simply in Ontario and hitting the permit/or regulation wall. I am rethinking my plans.
I guess I'll have to talk with them and go from there.

Appoxy
# Posted: 11 Sep 2017 21:49

Hi Stos,
I'd be curious to hear how this played out. Can you provide any update?
Thanks

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.