Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Need some green advice for petitioning the Cdn govt. (property building regulations)
stos
# Posted: 28 Jul 2013 21:08

Hi
I recently started a petition to initiate change within the Canadian building regulations (namely the OBC in my location/case)

I was wondering if I could get some advice from the Canadian folks here who have run into what they might consider outrageous rules and regulations, that may be outdated or not in the best interest of the environment.
I would like to compile a list of suggestions for the Hon Linda Jeffrey, MPP, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing.

In my case I need to have an out-building for tools and a small solar power system for charging power tools. The rules restricting utility buildings and occupancy have pushed people away from their dreams of sustainability or to pursue costly and sometimes wasteful solutions.

The government already has so many rules to make sure you're jumping through their hoops, why not take out a few of those redundant hoops for those of us who are trying our hardest to comply.

Your help is needed and appreciated.
I'm willing to organize this effort but can't without your suggestions, problems and solutions!

Tell me what you've experienced.

Read/Sign/Share/Please

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ministry-of-municipal-affairs-and-housing-give -better-rights-to-canadians-building-sustainably

Rossman
# Posted: 28 Jul 2013 21:26

Read the petition, your issue is that you can't construct a utility shed before you construct your primary off-grid residence?

stos
# Posted: 28 Jul 2013 23:29

Yes Ross that is an issue I've run into, but while reading through the threads here. I have heard about other issues that seem to be anti green.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 28 Jul 2013 23:39

We owned our property in Canada for a long time before we built in 2007. Since the early 1970"s to be exact. We camped there all those years. Bringing EVERYTHING back and forth across the Canada/US border. It was ALOT of work.

Reason being? We were not allowed to build a storage unit BEFORE we built our cabin. We did not want to "sneak" and build a storage unit,get caught and get on the wrong foot with the building inspectors from the get go. Do that and they will ALWAYS be on your case.

Since you already built your sheds and didn't obey the building codes I really don't think you have a leg to stand on. Sorry that is my honest opinion.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 28 Jul 2013 23:45

Heads up about the trailer you want to place on YOUR land. There may be a time limit on how long the trailer can be there.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.