Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / How to secure property when not there?
Klicky1
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 13:53

Hi, I've had a few break ins to my shed. Not much left to steal I have no power so cannot set up security cameras, sirens, etc... Any recommendations on how to "secure" my place better?

They've clipped padlocks to get into front gate and shed. Fortunately haven't gotten into the cabin as not much in there of worth for pawn shops I guess.

Thanks

bldginsp
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 14:30

Puck locks are hard to break into when you use the hidden hasp. Check this

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-770-Shackle-Padlock/dp/B000LEHEO0

But there are other ways to get in, if they are determined to do so. Battery operated wildlife cameras, triggered by motion sensors, might catch the thief on camera, but not sure that local law enforcement would be able to use that to your benefit.

I take all my tools home in my truck.

Truecabin
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 15:22

they can accept as evidence for a warrant but you may be called to attend court and testify that the camera is yours and where the pics are taken and pics are genuine

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 15:55

A camera is only good if the person captured on it can be identified. It certainly helps but if police or others have no idea who the person captured in the picture is, then it will not solve the crime. It may act as a deterrent though.

bldginsp
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 15:59

With pics showing a face clearly, what are the chances the individual can be identified? In rural areas where everybody knows everybody, maybe the sheriff knows most of the 'usual suspects'

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Oct 2013 18:20

Quoting: bldginsp
maybe the sheriff knows most of the 'usual suspects'

Friend of mine in VA had that very experience. The deputy on the desk took one look and knew the guys name.

justincasei812
# Posted: 25 Oct 2013 09:26

To add to that I would say, depending on how they are getting to your place the camera may get a photo of the vehicle they are driving as well. Depending on placement and type of vehicle a plate may be visable. Just make sure the camera(s) are hidden so they are not stealing them. Maybe place they and "practice" placement and to see how visable they are. Make sure no blinking lights from the camera can be seen when they take a picture/ video. A video setting would be good because it would show them cutting or possibly breaking in where a picture may not show anything but someone standing there "looking" around.

jrbarnard
# Posted: 25 Oct 2013 10:00

Cameras are tricky, but most that break in are stupid.

We catch people coming onto the ranch all the time with a camera that, imo, is easy as heck to see....but they do not.

Now, we have a ton of stuff out there and have never had a thing stolen, but I admit, I am only checking the beer :P

R

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Oct 2013 22:04

Quoting: bldginsp
Puck locks are hard to break into when you use the hidden hasp. Check this

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-770-Shackle-Padlock/dp/B000LEHEO0

Another great lock for a std hasp is the Master Lock #40. Its tough to reach to cut the hasp and the hasp is 3/8" instead of the typical 5/16" hasp. I have a bunch of these all keyed alike.

bldginsp
# Posted: 26 Oct 2013 19:04

Hi Toyota

I didn't know what a Master lock # 40 is so I looked and here's the first thing I found:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w2PEE51XkhA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dw2PEE51XkhA

He picks one of them in about 10 seconds flat!

I guess if you know what you are doing its not too hard to pick most locks. I'm sure that lock is better than a standard padlock, which, so they say, can be easily broken with one good hammer hit.

I had standard hasps and regular pad locks on my shed doors, then did research and discovered that they are the easiest thing to get past, for a willing thief. The trick is to make the lock just more difficult to open than the effort involved with the next easiest means of entering your structure. The puck locks with hidden hasp are not easy to get past so hopefully will discourage a would-be thief.

The Master #40 is harder than a simple padlock, but gives thieves two opportunities. First is it gives a solid body to attach a large pipe wrench to. Put on the wrench and twist, if the lock doesn't break the hasp will. Easy entry. Or, it gives something that a chain can be attached to with a hook or bolt. Then, attach the other end of the chain to a pickup trailer hitch, and bingo, easy entry. The puck lock with hidden hasp offers neither, forcing thieves to seek another way in.

Such is the sad logic of thief deterrence.

dsaw
# Posted: 26 Oct 2013 21:40

The best advice is probably to get property remote enough that people won't mess with it. That said, I've got one of the a Little Acorn MMS camera on my trail up to my cabin. It text's/e-mails me photo's; so in theory I can get a picture even if someone tries to steal it. It works on a pay as you go plan, so $5/month for 200 texts.

I've got good photos of two people mushroom hunting on my property; but no one has disturbed any of my stuff (not that I have much worth taking). That said, I need to move it. It's out in the open now, and I'm pretty sure one of the mushroom guys turned it on the tree when he came back to pick blackberries. I need to add a steel gate on the lane up to my cabin.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.