Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Does no permit mean No taxes?
ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 27 Feb 2014 16:16

I asked my Town Clerk what I needed to do to put a gravel bed down for a pop-up trailer -- nothing, no permit needed. So I asked about a shed to put it in over the winter -- no permit needed for 144 square ft or less.

So does no permit mean no taxes on a shed 144 square ft or less?

VTweekender
# Posted: 27 Feb 2014 16:40

I did the no permit sized as well....after inquiring with the town, they gave me the size info for "no permit" sheds and the only other response was "just let us know when completed so the assessors can swing by and do their thing", exact wording....

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 27 Feb 2014 17:04

Ok thanks, I was afraid to ask the clerk. I was planning a very nice shed for my Apache, insulation and all.

bldginsp
# Posted: 27 Feb 2014 17:51

Depends on where you are and how they do it. In some jurisdictions they only send info to the assessors office when a permit is issued, or finalled. But I think that assessors in general take the attitude that any improvement at all should be taxed, permitted or not. So it's just a matter of whether or not they find out.

Where I am I got a permit for some small sheds and the assessor did not increase my tax base, but did for the septic.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 27 Feb 2014 18:22

I just found out today that no permit was needed, I assumed one was. I wanted a larger 12x16 but if no taxes why go larger is what I was thinking. I don't need much and the property taxes are quite high.

At my main residence anything built needs a permit (same process as below for in yard solar panel) they want all the tax dollars they can get so I put up a plastic shed under my deck to store my generators and fuel. Looks great and I can easily disassemble and take it with me.

I asked my building inspector about solar panels (off grid system) at my home which he said no one has ever asked about before...permit needed but just an electrical permit for an on roof installation, ok no problem... but If I want to mount one panel on a pole in my yard I have to submit plot plans, go through inland wetlands, (including a posting in a newspaper) , building department and planning and zoning...the same procedure that is needed for installing a swimming pool and that process is quite costly. I thought an in yard installation would be the simpler deal.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 Feb 2014 19:59

Quoting: ChuckDynasty
I asked my building inspector about solar panels (off grid system) at my home which he said no one has ever asked about before...permit needed but just an electrical permit for an on roof installation, ok no problem... but If I want to mount one panel on a pole in my yard I have to submit plot plans, go through inland wetlands, (including a posting in a newspaper) , building department and planning and zoning...the same procedure that is needed for installing a swimming pool and that process is quite costly. I thought an in yard installation would be the simpler deal.

wow----that's why it's important to NOT TO ASK

just beg forgiveness....if NEEDED...LOL

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 27 Feb 2014 20:42

I asked over the phone, they don't know me. I've been using a small panel for some time. Put it out, take it in, but I would like to keep it out. I inquired because I don't now how homeowners insurance would work if something happened.

Don_P
# Posted: 27 Feb 2014 22:01

Generally if insurance can find a way out, they'll take it.
One of my clients decided to put some rooftop panels up. The building official had them jump through hoops, engineering for the roof load, snow and wind calcs. Funny thing was when the BO approved the original house plans I rejected them, argued with the designer until he went to his engineer who agreed with me and we built the roof correctly. Had we gone with the original design no engineer could have signed off on the panels... which didn't need engineering. Bless their pea pickin hearts, gotta love 'em.

On asking forgiveness after the fact, I've seen houses demo'ed for lack of permit when the assessor did catch it, go carefully.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 28 Feb 2014 07:35

The plain answer is no.

Nirky
# Posted: 28 Feb 2014 15:30

I purchased a property with several non-permitted outbuildings on it. They were assessed a value, and although small, I believe that value was used to calculate the final property tax.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Mar 2014 19:48 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: ChuckDynasty
So does no permit mean no taxes on a shed 144 square ft or less?

No, it can still be taxed. I built a small garage for my new Cub Cadet rider, and they upped my taxable amount by $1100, which is close to that I had into it, not counting any labor, just materials.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 2 Mar 2014 08:41

my first hunting camp/cabin was built over 25 years ...no permit...tax crew found it 19 or so years later...they said on this is not on the tax digest...and they simple added and started charging TAX....those offices change people so much...a lot of time it take YEARS ...to even see what has been done on YOUR PROPERTY!!!! enjoy your build!!!!

razmichael
# Posted: 2 Mar 2014 09:29

Different municipalities, different parts of the province, different provinces and different countries.. all have different rules so make sure you learn about your area not what happens elsewhere.

The rules and enforcement methods change greatly even from one local municipality to another. You are in one of the most expensive cottage areas in Ontario (based on your description in another thread). Not only that, property values are assessed at the provincial level through MPAC and the local jurisdiction then assesses the tax. Example - I live in Ontario on a chunk of land. 4 years ago we bought an adjacent piece but maintained it as a separate piece with no buildings. Early last year MPAC got confused and decided we had a house on it for the past 4 years. The city promptly sent us a bill for fours years of taxes on a lot with an imaginary house - about $9k. Despite MPAC fairly quickly admitting a mistake I needed to file the paperwork to have it reviewed, follow up numerous times because they lost stuff and, finally start to deal with the city to get the back taxes and hundreds in penalties reversed. Almost a year to get it sorted out. No permit on the imaginary house! Still taxed!

Try talking to contractors and locals if you think you want to stay under the radar to see if it is really that easy where you are.

razmichael
# Posted: 3 Mar 2014 19:33

Quoting: razmichael
You are in one of the most expensive cottage areas in Ontario (based on your description in another thread)

Sorry ChuckDynasty - I realize I screwed up here and was mixing up threads so ignore everything I said about being in ontario cottage country! Still stick by "even without permits they can tax you" but my rant about MPAC is meaningless here.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 4 Mar 2014 10:47

generally you are taxed for permanent improvements, a gravel bed is easily a driveway and if left will eventually disappear with plants growing over it. a cement slab will be there forever. in general in my area if your lot has temporary structures like a portable shed/storage barn, campers, and such or some farm structures (run in sheds, wood shed, chicken coop) they are not taxed (mostly because if they tax it one year you could move it someplace else the next). a lot of camps out here are built on skids so they can't be taxed (NY state is a tax happy state with only a few gray areas in their code book).

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.