Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Getting land ready for development in Ontario
Camp
# Posted: 15 Mar 2014 14:46

Hello Everyone

We are in the process of purchasing a large parcel of land and hoping to open up a business (cottage rentals, camp or trailer park).

I have read a few posts on here about others that have done similar ventures and wondering if anyone could spare any advice.

I'm wondering approx what it cost you for things such as septic, wells, and bringing hydro in from the road.

We are looking at properties between 80-300 acres in unorganized townships. We will need a LARGE septic and have also looked into shipping container biofilters figuring that they may be a better option given that where we will be building.

Can anyone share their experience?

Thanks in advance for your help, it is really appreciated :D

bldginsp
# Posted: 15 Mar 2014 15:26

Have you spoken with the local health/planning/building authorities to see what they will require for such an operation?

hattie
# Posted: 15 Mar 2014 18:28 - Edited by: hattie

We haven't done anything on a scale like you are talking about, but we did build a 3 unit motel attached to our cabin to give us some income in our semi-retirement.

My advice to you is ALWAYS include your local planning and building department. We are in BC so, our rules are different, however, there were a zillion hoops to jump through (and we live in a fairly remote area). Fire codes, septic regulations, and the list goes on and on. Your local building permit and health departments will govern how your septic system is built. Don't do anything until you have talked with them and don't try to sneak anything by them because (even in remote areas) they will send out inspectors when you least expect it.

You need to look into the cost for your insurance. Our insurance jumped from $500 per year (when we used our place just as a cottage) to $3,500 per year after we built the motel (and that was after we negotiated it down from the original quote of $6,000). This is for THREE motel rooms that have all been built to code with fire walls, etc. We could only find ONE insurance agency willing to insure us (even though we have never had a claim with any insurance company). If you live in an area without fire hydrants and a proper fire department (in BC a volunteer fire department doesn't count for protection of a business), you will be paying horrendous fees for insurance.

A trailer park would be wayyyy cheaper than cottage rentals and less maintenance. You could put in trailer pads with outhouses (or proper flushing toilets and showers in washrooms) and have water hookups. Cottage rentals will mean cleaning the cottages between guests and linens, etc. That will really increase your costs and if you have a lot of cottages, you may need to hire a staff (again really increases your costs).

It sounds like you have a great plan, but do your homework first. It took us two years just to get a building design approved. You will have days when you want to throw in the towel, but just keep slugging along and you will be fine.

Keep us posted how you are doing. I would really like to see your progress as you move forward. What an exciting project!!! Best of luck!!

bldginsp
# Posted: 15 Mar 2014 19:48

Rules for any commercial operation, or anything beyond just building a single residence, will always be much more involved. Sometimes it's best to hire a local architect, engineer or designer who has done such design before, and already fell into all the pitfalls.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 15 Mar 2014 22:32 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Please don't think that being in a unorginized twp is going to be any easier or cheaper in land development. You will need to go before the local board with all your plans and get them to vote to change the bylaws. Than you will need to get Environment Canada approval.

Do you have a market? I have seen the aftermath of the recession and the change after 9/11 in tourism(due to the cost of passports for a entire family and the at times nightmare border crossing) in our area of Northern Ontario. American families were a big part of the seasonal cottage rentals in our area. They are not traveling to Canada. They are staying south of the border. I have seen 3 seasonal cottage resorts and two country stores close in our area.

I am in no way trying to dissuade you,I am pointing out what I have seen happening in my part of cottage country 2001-present.

hattie
# Posted: 16 Mar 2014 12:46

Quoting: bldginsp
it's best to hire a local architect, engineer or designer who has done such design before, and already fell into all the pitfalls.

This is really good advice. Hiring local experts means they will know all the officials at the permit office and health authority. We hired a local to do our build and it was worth it. Also, it sits better with others in the area if you hire local. If you have a problem down the road and you hired out to build, the local builders won't be as quick to help you and will probably really gouge you in repair costs.

Quoting: silverwaterlady
Do you have a market?

Good question and you should do your homework as silverwaterlady suggests. In our area, we have found that there are a lot more people camping than renting cottages. Our local campground is frequently full up whereas in the past there were always lots of available spaces.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.