Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / For quebec residents: Abris forestier?
dpoisson
# Posted: 8 Aug 2014 13:23

Hi Folks,
I'm hoping some quebec resident might shine in...We are currently looking at a piece of land (wasn't really looking, but I've always dreamt of one day...you know the deal ).

Since it's on a private road and doesn't have access to the main road, the building restrictions are rather severe. We can only build an abris forestier (as per the La Malbaie town's rule close by): 20m sq (215.5 sq ft) only, no internal divisions, no second floor, no mezzanine (counts as a division), can't have running water nor electricity, can't have a foundation (no sonotubes, must be on piers or blocs), we can have a porch (no size limit), although it can't be completely closed off. Roof over porch as well as mosquito screening is acceptable.

We're looking at buying the land together with another couple. We both have 2 small kids (all younger than 6 yrs old). With the above restrictions, I figured it would be impossible for both couples to be able to go there at a given time.

There is a ski centre close by, so I know me and my girlfriend would want to go there in the winter. The other couple aren't really into winter. That implies a couple of things: access. The road probably isn't plowed (I sent an email to the current owner to confirm this), heating (I already have a wood stove I could use) and insulation (higher building cost).

I was thinking of something like 12x18 (216sq ft), with an 8' porch on the 18' and 12' sides (think L-shaped). The porch would be screened off and the roof would extend over it. The idea would be to eat on the porch, freeing precious space inside. But, it would be rather cold in autumn and we couldn't do that during the winter months.

Still, the big problem is the floor plan for the inside of the cabin. Space would be extremely limited. We were thinking of perhaps making foldable bunk beds. Even thought about making 12' high walls and having a foldable mezzanine that would unfold onto "cross-beams" made of 2x6 or 2x8's

Finally, it was mentioned by the current owner that, if I apply for a "permit d'exploitation forestier", I could also construct a garage of some sort on the property. Does anyone know what that entails exactly?

For those that have similar restrictions, how did you cope with them?
Any suggestions?

Cheers,
David

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.