Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Pond Clean up
LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 23 Aug 2014 11:10

Hey folks, wondering if any of you had to clear excess vegetation from a natural pond on your property.

Our pond is overrun with cattails etc and looks more like a swamp. It's pretty large.. maybe an acre or more and our driveway splits it into two sections.

We have some beautiful vantage points looking over the pond and I really would like to clean it up.

Oh.. we are in Ontario so chemicals are likely out of the question.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Cheers!

UncleMikey75
# Posted: 23 Aug 2014 15:27

In my humble opinion, the "best" way to clean out a pond is to drain it and use equipment to get all the slop off the bottom and start over with a "new" pond. Of course that is not always possible and is one heck of a project. I've seen the weed-killing tablets work for a time but generally has to be repeated every year or two.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 23 Aug 2014 18:36

Thanks UncleMikey... that would seem like the best approach but probably beyond what our budget is. Although we haven't got any quotes yet.

Considering one of those "weed razors" and lots of elbow grease but I am sceptical about how effective those are.

If we could get chemicals here, that would probably be the route I would go. I see some that do not harm fish/wildlife.

UncleMikey75
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 01:06

I've seen the weed razors used around a dock to clear a little swimming spot but you're talking about a whole lot of work to do a whole pond. The ones I saw used had to be re-done every couple weeks. Of course a lot of that would depend on the types of weeds and their rate of growth. You might check into mail-order pond chemicals...assuming the pond is self-contained. I wouldn't even think about it if the pond has a stream flowing out...legal or not.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 22:02

I been using a weed razor to clear my pond and it is a lot of work but the results have been great. I have not had to redo any area I've cleared. One issue is removing the cut weeds but I built a weed rake from a landscape rake and a tube floattie.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 12:04

@ UncleMikey... chems are not an option here regardless. Still haven't determined if this is spring fed or self contained. might know better when it's cleaned up.

@hueyjazz... thanks for chiming in! That's interesting. If we go that route I know it will be a long term project, tackling small sections at a time.

How big is your pond? Was there a lot of weeds? From what I can see we have a lot of rocks in the shallow spots and I wonder if it will get snagged each time we toss it out. If you have pics, that would be great. I am going to snap some this weekend.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 26 Aug 2014 12:32 - Edited by: hueyjazz

Well I don't have any great pictures of the project but I have two ponds. One is an acre and the other is a 1/4 acre. I've concentrated my efforts on the 1/4 acre pond as that is where my pet bass live and the pond is next to the cabin. I don't have any rocks so I can't comment if the razor will get stuck. So far I throw it out and walk the razor back by having the rope tie to my waist. That way my legs do the work and not my arms. I was thinking of trying my canoe and a trolling motor.

First pic is before and the second picture is when i just started. You can see the weeds floating.
IMG_3773.JPG
IMG_3773.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 26 Aug 2014 15:08

Thanks HJ! Awesome pics. Can definitely see the progress there. From what I gather most people rake em in and burn them. Lots of elbow grease but worth it.

If you do try the canoe, please let me know how it goes.

creeky
# Posted: 26 Aug 2014 16:32

I have a great recipe for bass ...

hueyjazz
# Posted: 27 Aug 2014 12:22

Creeky

Stay away from my cabin!

Now if you got a beaver recipe, that's different. I got a real issue with one of them. We are presenting looking into a relocation program for one of them.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 3 Sep 2014 12:55

Well snapped a couble pics of the swamp, err... pond on the weekend. I fear nothing short of a precision airstrike will clear all these weeds. Yikes!

hueyjazz.. do you work for beer? :p
pond4.gif
pond4.gif
pond2.gif
pond2.gif
pond1.gif
pond1.gif

hueyjazz
# Posted: 3 Sep 2014 19:25

Loon
I work for year 2000 Grand Cru Bordeaux

I would still try the weed razor and choose a select area to clear and hammer it My second pond is much like yours. My plan to attack that pond is to wait until next spring when the weeds aren't as intense and then stay on top of it.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 4 Sep 2014 12:15

2000 Grand Cru Bordeaux?? Have you seen my cabin? lol I was budgeting for a 6 pack :p

Anyways.. I think I will give the weed razor a shot as you suggest. Best price seems to be on Amazon. If I see some progress with small sections maybe it won't seem so overwhelming.

Good luck with yours!

RedTailHawk
# Posted: 6 Sep 2014 23:52

On Amazon, there is a Weed Razor and a Weed Razor Express. but there doesn't seem to be much explanation on the difference between the two. My guess is the Express is smaller and lighter. Anyone know for sure?

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 7 Sep 2014 09:48

Quoting: RedTailHawk
My guess is the Express is smaller and lighter. Anyone know for sure?

Correct!

Express = 30"

Regular = 48"

Pro = 62" and is adjustable

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.