Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Heater
Shadyacres
# Posted: 6 Oct 2014 21:56

Does anyone have suggestions for a reliable heater for my basement that I can set thermostat at 40 degrees ?

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Oct 2014 22:50

What fuel sources are available? What would you prefer to use? How large is the space to be heated? Any insulation in/on the basement walls? Climate?

Shadyacres
# Posted: 6 Oct 2014 23:21

I have a 20 X 30 superior basement wall with R-23 insulation. I don't think it will take a lot of heat. I was thinking of going with propane but didn't know if electric would be more dependable but not sure which would be more economical.

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Oct 2014 00:33 - Edited by: MtnDon

Download this spreadsheet calculator....

Heating Fuel Cost Comparison Calculator

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Oct 2014 00:45

A fuel burning heater will need an exhaust vent and an air intake. Above ground a direct vent wall heater might be usable if you can cut through the wall.

Nice thing about electric is you just need wires (and a service panel that has the capacity)..

Shadyacres
# Posted: 7 Oct 2014 05:47

Thanks MtnDon , I have the option to do either. I too gave electric a nod for just that reason. I may opt to try electric and see what the bill is each month , I think I have a thermostat and a couple heat units laying around.

itsals1
# Posted: 7 Oct 2014 07:11

Shadyacres,
We have a cabin in northern WI and have a utility room that has electric baseboard heater. Ours works great, it does have a built in thermastat which we keep at 42*. Our most expensive bill was this last winter which was around $50-$60. Considering it costs us $35.00 a month just for the meter. The Utility room is 6'x7'6" and is 2x4 construction R-13 walls,with 2" foam board we use to block the door to help retain the heat.
Travis

bldginsp
# Posted: 7 Oct 2014 10:34

If you are just trying to keep pipes from freezing, maybe electric tape on the pipes is cheaper than heating the whole room?

Shadyacres
# Posted: 10 Mar 2015 17:33

My electric heater is working great , it has been a very cold winter and my electric bill is about $ 25 to $ 30 each month and I think it was about that price without electric heater so I am only spending a few dollars a month to protect my water tank, water heater and traps.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 10 Mar 2015 17:34

My electric heater is working great , it has been a very cold winter and my electric bill is about $ 25 to $ 30 each month and I think it was about that price without electric heater so I am only spending a few dollars a month to protect my water tank, water heater and traps.

uberjason
# Posted: 29 Oct 2017 10:00

Milkhouse heater or I prefer the oil radiant heater to protect pipes. Oil heaters are sealed, so if they fall over no harm no fowl. Electric heaters like the milk house heaters use a heating coil. These are great until they get dust on them in the summer months, you have to remove an electric heater at first use of the season and run them outdoors to burn off the crap that can catch on fire.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.