Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Best way to attach a wood gate to a steel post.
jesse977
# Posted: 17 Nov 2014 21:21

I will be building a 10ft driveway gate. Im thinking 2 5ft swinging wood gates. I want to use a steel post to attach the wood gates. I have 2 metal posts (the ones used for chain link fencing) that would work well. My question is what is the best way to attach the wood gates to the metal posts? I have been to home depot and cant find anything that will work well.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Nov 2014 21:36 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

First off, a 10 foot gate wide enough? I have a 12 foot gate to my cabin and its a tight squeeze with my big Dodge diesel and enclosed trailer. You may want a cement truck in there etc. Most larger equipment is 8'6" wide, leaves a meager 18" total or 9" on either side for larger stuff.

Anyway, get the standard gate hinge set and mount it on the post normally, then the part of the bracket that clamps around the round gate post, spread it apart and just use large bolts to bolt it to the wooden gate post (bend it open enough to wrap around the outside of a 4X4 or what ever you are using).

Just make sure bottom hinge points upward, top one, downward so no one can just lift up and remove the gate.

First picture, see bracket, bend it apart, use a thru bolt into a 4X4 post.

Second picture is a gate hinge made to mount to a flat surface, this could be bolted to the 4X4 also. Either way will work.
Gate hinge for round post
Gate hinge for round post
hinge mount for flat surface
hinge mount for flat surface

MtnDon
# Posted: 17 Nov 2014 21:40

for the metal posts

for the wood gate

Just make sure you get the eye and the pin to be the same size. 1/2" and 5/8" is common.

jesse977
# Posted: 18 Nov 2014 05:46

Thanks guys for the help. The lot I am building on is only 7500 square feet. Im putting up a 75ft split rail fence. I think I will go a little wider maybe 12 feet like Toyota suggests. I figure once I start to build the cabin I can remove a few sections of the fence so cement trucks, etc can go by easily.

Steve_S
# Posted: 18 Nov 2014 08:49

My gateway is 20' as is the culvert under the entry... Dump Trucks and other kit had a time getting in and wound up crushing one end of the culvert (I rescued it with an excavator).

I'd say 12' is minimum for heavy equipment of any kind squeezing in "if" they can make the turn in... Have a good long look at the entry and seriously consider it... Maybe 14 or 16 feet if you have a narrow roadway at your place.

I bought 2 steel gates (10' ea) but they're too heavy for the cedar posts so in the spring I have to put in 2 steel posts or switch to "Land Owner" style gates which in hindsight would have been better for us (snow clearance and what not). Maybe I'll just make a couple out of Cedar in the "rough" for the whole "rustic feel".. ;)

Very good idea on Split Rail Fence (I'd like to do that myself). especially if you set it up so you can pull out a section or two on either end.

PS: TSC Stores in Canada are Tractor Supply in the USA for anyone interested.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Nov 2014 09:01

My main entrance was 12 foot, if I had to do it over, be 16 footer. My new 20 next to my existing 20, I use the 16 foot gate and a real cool cattlemans latch, set to open either inward or outward.
12 foot cattlemans gate, main entrance
12 foot cattlemans gate, main entrance
16 foot cattlemans gate, new 20 acre lot
16 foot cattlemans gate, new 20 acre lot
Cool cattlemans latch
Cool cattlemans latch

Malamute
# Posted: 18 Nov 2014 11:10 - Edited by: Malamute

Using larger steel posts or using railroad ties for gate posts will give more options on how you can hang the gates, and look nicer with the split rail fence.

I used power poles for my gate posts.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.