Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Which side of an island to build a dock?
Driverdave
# Posted: 13 Jan 2015 13:54

Hello,
We just bought a 13 acre island in Northern Ontario, there is nothing on the island yet and i am wondering which side we should think about putting the dock and the cabin. Was thinking the south side to build the cabin and possibly the SE side for the dock to stay out of the westerly winds. The west side has a larger island and the south, east and north is mostly open. Any ideas? Thanks

Just
# Posted: 13 Jan 2015 15:19

Is there a natural harbor [cove protected on 2 3 or 4 sides from any surf ] and adequate water depth to float your boat .. a check on Google earth my help . If not ,you may need to construct a seawall to protect your boat or have some way to hall your boat out of the water to protect it from waves .

Driverdave
# Posted: 13 Jan 2015 15:30

It is not a huge lake. But i want it protected as much as possible. It freezes over quite solid in the winter so if there is a way i could leave a floating dock in year round it would be a bonus.

FishHog
# Posted: 13 Jan 2015 16:06

if there is nothing shoreline related that gives you extra protection, then avoid the prevailing winds. But if the dock is going to double as an area to enjoy the water, then stick with the south side so you get the most sun.
I have an old pontoon boat that just has a flat deck on it that doubles as my dock/party barge. I was worried about leaving it in, but its been there for 10 years now with no winter damage. Might be a good alternative for you.

Congrats on the purchase, that sounds like a nice piece of land.

Driverdave
# Posted: 13 Jan 2015 16:26

Thats what i was thinking. I can always move it it's going to be a floating dock. Hopefully i can leave it in over winter. Anyone have any idea on what kind of foundation i should look at for something about 24x30(32 maybe). It is on an island. So no machinery...

beachman
# Posted: 14 Jan 2015 09:14

I wouldn't leave anything in the water over the winter in Canada. You may be slightly safer on an island but friends have their own islands on our lake in NB and they all take their docks in. We have an aluminum frame dock with legs (Fendock) that we put out front in the lake each year and take out in the fall. It is on legs that we can raise or lower depending on the water levels and we get a lot of rough weather - no major problems. Even tho we are on the mainland, there is water access only so check out members projects under lakeside in eastern Canada (pg 4 or 5) as we built on cement blocks with no problems so far and about the same size - 4 years ago. Depending on the soil, this should work for you.

Driverdave
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 23:39

Thanks Beachman,

I will check with people around the lake, I was thinking I would like to have a dock big enough to have a few people sit and have a beer, so might be a pain to bring in. Might have to adjust my plans...

beachman
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 16:45

Our dock is 12 x 16 and can seat 10 pretty comfy, up to 16 if needed. I had to build the cedar planking - 8 pieces each 2 x 12. One person can install but it is a pain. Nice when it's set up. I take off the decking one piece at a time and stack it in the woods for next year. Then I raise the aluminum frame and float a canoe under it, lower the frame and take it down the shore and remove the legs and drag it away from the water for the winter. Beats having the ice crush it. I''ll send along a pic or two when I find them.

beachman
# Posted: 21 Jan 2015 08:00

OK - here are a couple of pictures of putting in the dock with a canoe and the final product set up. I built the first part out of hemlock before the ramp starts and it is very heavy. I take this out too and move it up on the rocks. It is nice to have but is a lot of work to take in and out - but necessary due to the ice.
Setting_up_new_dock..jpg
Setting_up_new_dock..jpg
Finished_dock.JPG
Finished_dock.JPG
Dock_from_water..JPG
Dock_from_water..JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.