Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Cabin or camp?
. 1 . 2 . >>
creeky
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 13:59

Most folks here build cabins I think. But I've built a camp. So which are you, cabin or camp?

Here's an illustration of my camp.
creekys_camp.png
creekys_camp.png

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 15:51

Semantics.
Geography has a lot to do with it too.
We have a cabin while a relative with virtually the same size structure in Canada has a cottage.

Considering the proliferation of buildings, we might now have a ranch.

bobrok
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 15:58 - Edited by: bobrok

Oh, man, did you ever touch a nerve here. A long-running disagreement between wifey and me to say the least.

I grew up in the Adirondack region of NYS where EVERYBODY had camps.
The word "cabin" did not and does not exist in the upstate NY vocabulary.
I spent my childhood and young adult life with friends and families at their camps. Never once did I get an invitation to go to someone's cabin. I doubt I would have gone anyway.
My brother bought and owns a "camp" not a cabin, and his area has electric, cable TV, HOA and everything.
I had always wanted a camp and the thought of buying a cabin just never occured to me in my entire life.
The lore of my area is woven around the history of the wealthy and famous building Adirondack great camps and not Adirondack great cabins. For example, Teddy Roosevelt did not travel at night from a cabin in the Adirondacks to become president when William McKinley was assassinated.
I almost did not join this forum because I had a major philosophical issue with the fact that it was not called the "small-camp forum".

Sadly, however, I am reluctantly resigned to the fact that (at least in my wife's presence) we own a cabin and not a camp. Once the valences went up on the windows and the throw rugs down on the floors it became obvious to me that the future of my little dream spot was set, at least in her eyes.

It keeps peace between us. I am not happy with it.

Thanks for this excellent opportunuty to vent. I really needed a sympathetic ear on the subject.

PS: Don't even get me going on her definition of "cottage" either.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 16:42

I own 2 camps.....

my southern camp is my hunting camp....

my Maine northwoods camp is a camp....every place is Maine is a camp...no cottages unless they sit by the ocean....lol
no cabins in Maine....not even in their vocabulary..LOL

Wilbour
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 16:49 - Edited by: Wilbour

You are dividing two great nations. My wife is from central NY and a good friend in upstate has a camp. I am building a cabin in Ontario about 10 miles from his camp. When we refer to his camp or going to camp it's the whole thing. The building and the lifestyle that goes with it. Campfire, swimming ect. I have started calling it camp as well because we camp there.

Scott G
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 16:54

We go back and forth, cabin, camp. I call it a small house sometimes. Whatever. It's all good.

naturelover66
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 19:31

Oh its a cabin alright... Definitely a Cabin

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 19:42

Quoting: naturelover66
Oh its a cabin alright... Definitely a Cabin

womins...lol ...

cabinbiscuits
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 20:11

Due to zoning regulations we have an agricultural building at our camp.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 20:30 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I think its a regional deal. Camps seems to be east or NE lingo, while out here in the west, cabins.

Same with a soda, or pop, some even call all pops generically a "coke" even if its pepsi

I'd call my entire lot with everything, my camp, but the wooden structure I sleep in on it, is called my cabin.

I actually call it "The Ranch"

neb
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 21:30

In my neck of the woods they are called cabins. Camps are when we go elk hunting we set up camp with a wall tent, stove etc.

Pookie129
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 22:06

I'm with TMT - we call it camp or cabin, but in reality it is a camp that includes a couple of structures, including a cabin.

Cottage friends call it the cabin - Hunter friends call it camp.

To me, could careless what it is call, because it feels like heaven

davestreck
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 22:17

I always think of it as "The Cabin", but the locals in Nova Scotia insist its a camp.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 22:59

Quoting: Pookie129
To me, could careless what it is call, because it feels like heaven

I think we can all agree on that.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 16 Jan 2015 23:50

TINY HOUSE!!!!!

Just kidding! I'm not a hipster or in any way "trendy."
Mine will be a cabin, most definitely. All connotation, but when I think of a "camp" something much more rustic and seasonal comes to mind, involving tents or a bunkhouse and "roughing it." I'm going to be living there year-round and have no intention of "roughing it."

nscampgirl
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 07:01

Hahaha!! I love this!!
So I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada, and it sort of depends on the structure it seems. My In-Laws, (eventually my husband+I)have the cabin. It's about 24x30' no running water, but power, satellite tv, phone, big deck, lake water flush toilet and sleeps 10.My cousin and her husband have the "cottage" they inherited from her parents-huge place, also on a larger lake, power, wrap around deck, water pumped from lake, full indoor bathroom/washer/dryer, sleeps about 20. My other cousins, (and what I am going to build)have "camps". Small, no indoor bathrooms, no running water or power, just simple insulated structures that sleep 4-6 and aren't too fancy. So everyone who knows us knows where I'm going if I'm going to the cabin, the cottage, or so+so's camp!!

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 07:28

Does size matter? In the camp vs cabin vernacular of course!

I invited friends to our cabin, and upon seeing it someone said; that's not a cabin, thats a house.

It may be as big as some people's house... But it's still 1 room and a loft.

Cabin I say... No camp, no house.

Wilbour
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 08:53

This is remenicent of when i visit my inlaws in Central NY. I have to remember to speek a different language:

We live in a ranch style home not a bungalow.
I ask for a soda not a pop
I renew the tag for my car not the license
We go down cellar not to the basement
We spend dollars not Loonies or Twonies

This list goes on, not to mention Imperial measurements vs metric.

Then i have to remember to switch back after clearing the border.

rmak
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 09:53

In Ohio talk a cabin is a structure, a camp is a place. Camping implies it's a one night stand or maybe a little longer. A bigger issue here is whether a small running stream of water is called a Krick or a Kreek.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 10:49

Quoting: rmak
A bigger issue here is whether a small running stream of water is called a Krick or a Kreek.

OR a BROOK if ya from new England aka Up NAWTH

we call them a branch...NO not a tree limb..lol

rmak
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 11:04

Quoting: bobrok
PS: Don't even get me going on her definition of "cottage" either.

I got this one! According to my wife's magazines, a cottage is where you paint all the furniture that you stripped the paint off 20 years ago so they would look like antiques.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 11:10

Quoting: rmak
I got this one! According to my wife's magazines, a cottage is where you paint all the furniture that you stripped the paint off 20 years ago so they would look like antiques.

and after you paint it with MILK or Chalk paint of course~~~ya sand paper the edges ---to give it the "patina" aka the worn look...lol

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 11:33

we are building a homestead.
first we have buildings called cabins we have made.
then we are going from there to make it more civilized.
we have two cabins.an outside shower.
we go there to camp but once we live there full time-we will make a bigger home,a work shop and a sauna.it becomes our home and homesteading experience where we will plant an orchard,garden,get our green house up and more.

bobrok
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 11:50

Ok, now who's up for a daffy-nition of "lake house"?
My daughter & SIL are obsessed with buying a lake house in NC. The one she showed me was 400 sq ft and abandoned for years

And while on the subject may I a true Canadian's description of a "bunkie"?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 11:56

Quoting: bobrok
And while on the subject may I a true Canadian's description of a "bunkie"?

is a Bunkie is some where ya hide when the " revenuers are trying to catch ya making "shine liquor" "...LOL

creeky
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 12:11

semantics indeed. that being the exploration of the meaning of words. and it appears there are a number of regional variations on the meaning of camp, cabin, cottage. each yielding a definite meaning.

for me a cottage is something that is fancy. big porch. fancy windows. just shy of a house. it is in cottage country. where the rich folks live.

a bit further down the lane one finds cabins. less fancy, in some cases. more like to have an outhouse still in use as well as indoor plumbing.

a camp is something that is yet further along. it uses multiple buildings usually constructed over time. often to avoid the revenuers. or duck under code restrictions. or keep the wimmin from infesting it with curtains and such.

a bunkie is just that. a bunkhouse, often sharing the property with an outhouse and a cabin. typically used for the purpose of separating the young'uns (or farm workers in an earlier age) from the adults.

so does a cabin with an outhouse and bunkie become a camp? I think so. but my brother has a cabin with two bunkies and they call it "going to the cottage."

rmak
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 12:28

So, are you cricky or creeky?

creeky
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 13:24

crikey, that's a tough 'un ... i live by a creek, i creak when i move, i'm often found, summerwise, fishin' in a crick

so could i be a crick'n creaky creeky?

Pookie129
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 13:42 - Edited by: Pookie129

OMG! this thread is getting hilarious, albeit enlightening, hilarious...lol..lol.

I do think that crick'n creaky creeky has pretty much summed it up.

In all honesty, although I do consider it camp or the cabin, part of the strategy initially in calling it that, was to reduce the amount of people who want to come and hang out at a "cottage", and since we don't have a cottage - the words camp and or cabin, tend to keep visitors and guests to a better class of people...better singers, guitar players, eaters, drinkers, story tellers, hunters, macgyver's, fire starters, etc., you know the kind of people you want to hang around with or have up to "camp or the cabin".

Outhouses and no TV's keeps the interest to a manageable level...lol..lol.

SandyR
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 17:38

Oh it's definitely a cabin here!

When you say camp, all I can imagine is a bunch of men at deer camp, sitting around in their long underwear drinking beer and playing cards!

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.