Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Who's from northern Florida??
Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 11 Feb 2015 20:03

Just came a cross a 5 acre property between Gainesville and the gulf coast? What's it like there? Soil, sink holes, things to do?

Just
# Posted: 11 Feb 2015 20:38

I hate to admit this but today it was 65*and bright sun little wind , saw evidence of a bear along hiwy 19,, lots of agriculture and tree plantations ,,sadly I AM JUST PASSING THROUGH on my way north . there are some large tracts of public land .

bobrok
# Posted: 11 Feb 2015 21:07 - Edited by: bobrok

We just watched a rocket launch from the beach @ Cape Canaveral today. This is our 4th winter spending time here during the cold months. I don't claim expertise in sinkholes but wife's cousin just bought in Spring Hill, which is south of you and, I think, the epicenter of FL sinkhole country. Why they bought there I don't understand, but they have told me that sinkhole testing in that area is kind of a no-no. If you own property and have sinkhole testing done you are almost black flagged by insurance companies. They actually would rather you take the blind chance than test.
Hot shot lawyers are all over the tv and on billboards there with the typical "call 555-SINKHOLE" scare tactics.
You can choose to believe this or not, but it's what I was told.
I just wanted to share this in answer to your question because I'm still incredulous over this info and attitude.
I'm still trying to figure out this Florida love thing and how/if it applies to me. Then I look at Google maps of western central Florida and see all those lakes. They're not all man made.
I would really love to see someone from the area reply on this thread.

Just
# Posted: 11 Feb 2015 21:42

We could see the launch from Crystal River

Salty Craig
# Posted: 12 Feb 2015 12:37

I have been thru there numerous times. It's great in the winter. I wouldn't give 2 cents for the entire state in the summer. It's a giant mosquito breeding facility. I do like the west coast. Ft Myers, Sarasota, etc.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 Feb 2015 15:07

Quoting: Sustainusfarm
What's it like there?

hot---humid--lots of yankees...bugs ...& snakes.....

just make sure the place will perk for septic & is a buildable lot/NEVER buy you look at it...

Littlecooner
# Posted: 12 Feb 2015 21:40

Soil - sand! Sinkholes - yes things to do- fish ,hunt and work on cabin. You will love the winters but you are not going to like the summer.

Littlecooner
# Posted: 13 Feb 2015 08:22

There is a lot of rural land in Florida when you travel several miles inland from the coast. A lot of neat small towns and vast open farms and timberland. If you are looking to get away from the madding crowd, there are places in Florida to accomplish that task. Soil is sandy almost anywhere in the state, so septic tank permits should not be a problem. Sinkholes, I would not even think of the negative on that one if I wanted a piece of property. On the coast, the threat of a Hurricane is always there, in the Midwest, threat of a Tornado is always there, on the west coast of US, threat of a wildfire is there. Up east in Boston, the threat of 8 feet of snow is always there. - Why worry about a possible sinkhole. Face it S**t happens to everyone sometimes. The humidity and heat in June, July and August is a killer. The electric bill from the Air conditioner will be high for three months unless you buy next to a river or running creek where you can sit in the water all day with a floating cooler full of cold beer near by. That can be a favorite pastime on the correct property. Use Google Earth to look at what is all around this property, etc.

GreatOutdoors
# Posted: 13 Feb 2015 23:22

This is the FDEP sinkhole webpage. A lot of good information on sinkholes in Florida:
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/geology/geologictopics/sinkhole.htm

Here's a map showing types of sinkholes:

http://publicfiles.dep.state.fl.us/FGS/FGS_Publications/MS/MS110SinkholeType/sinkhole type2.pdf

This has sinkhole maps of individual counties:
http://fcit.usf.edu/Florida/maps/galleries/sinkholes/index.php

This is a good map showing the distribution of sinkholes across Florida. You can see that most of the sinkholes are in the center of the state & extend up into Northern Florida.

http://www.propertyinsurancecoveragelaw.com/uploads/file/FloodInsights-Florida-Sinkho le-Coverage-Map.pdf

Bevis
# Posted: 14 Feb 2015 23:15

Not from northern FL, but SW or South florida. From about Ocala-North, has alot of nice places. At one time I was going to move up that way...but now I'm planning a move to N. Alabam, or Tn.
Soil in the north is sandy, you get down around Lake Okeechobee and south we have Muck (and very furtile from the sugarcane growers). The threat of a Hurricane from June 1 to Nov 30 is a chance, and not just on the coast.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 15 Feb 2015 12:53

I miss living in South Florida. I had many great canoe camping trips around the state on Peace River, Suwannee, Withlacoochie, etc. Saw many neat smaller towns and countryside that looked like a great unspoiled place to live. Every weekend was an opportunity for a mini-vacation to go see and do something new.

Will agree that it gets quite humid. South Florida summer weather forecast is this: Highs 85 to 90, lows in mid 70's, 20% chance of rain. Half an hour after rain, roads are dry and sky is blue again. Winter forecast was more like what we get in April- May in Ohio, typically 60's to 70's, with some exceptions.

I turned on my heat one time in the four years I lived there, in December. Turned it off the next day.

People in South Florida feel sorry for the folks in North Florida, 'cause they heard they had snow once! Kinda the way most folks feel about bedbugs.

Sandy soil means no basements, but very easy to dig post-holes. I think it took me 20 minutes per posthole. Would have been quicker if I'd put down my beer.

Benzo
# Posted: 20 Jul 2015 13:14

I'm new here but live in northern Fl (Jacksonville). It's hot and humid during the summer. Really hot lol. Bugs and snakes thrive here. It is however a really nice place to live. (Even though I'm moving to Alaska!)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.