Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / New land for Salty
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Salty Craig
# Posted: 11 Nov 2015 20:42

Hi gang. Thought y'all might wanna gander at this. I'm closing next week on this mountain top lot that joins National Forest. It's only a half acre, but I have access to the whole mountain. Yes, there is plenty of bear up here. I'm gonna build a cabin. Sweet thing is, it's less than an hour from my house.

Craig
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

bldginsp
# Posted: 11 Nov 2015 20:46

Looks nice. Whereabouts, approx?

Salty Craig
# Posted: 11 Nov 2015 20:57

Massanutten Mountain, Western Virginia. Thanks

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 11 Nov 2015 21:01

Nice

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 11 Nov 2015 21:22

Nice! 1/2 acre is plenty of room and all the free land around you is a bonus. You dont need to pay taxes on it but can still use it for roaming around.

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Nov 2015 22:35

the fun begins, Salty

Sweet lookin' property

naturelover66
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 18:07

Congrats!! Its beautiful.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 19:28

Thanks y'all.

Gary O at my age, I question my sanity to tackle another cabin build.

OutdoorFanatic nothing like tax free land. I do love the George Washington National Forest. I may "gather" a few rocks.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 19:34

Beautiful!!! Congratulations, and enjoy!!!

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 19:42

Haha! So thats where your land is. I actually went thru the George Washington National Forest years ago. Don't ask me where because I was lost. But! I remember being on a dirt road above the clouds wonder how to get across there. I was in a TT and my trailer was in the woods on the opposite side of the dirt road when I made a corner. Scary!
I was on the eastern part of Va working my way west across the state to try to get on the highway. Real crooked road I remember.

Also: I remember going by a number of cabins up there. Some really nice, some reminded me of the movie "Deliverance."

I have nothing but good memories of Virgina though.

adakseabee
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 19:59

Hey, Salty, isn't there a ski resort on Massanutten Mountain? If there is, how close is it to the property you are buying?

Salty Craig
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 20:41

adakseabee
The Massanutten resort is an hour South. Super awesome place with a friggin sweet water park.

OutdoorFanatic
Deliverance.....lol glad you made it out. Hear any banjos??

Julie2Oregon
Real excited! Are you making any progress?

Craig

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 20:45

Quoting: Salty Craig
Gary O at my age, I question my sanity to tackle another

Well, how freakin' old are you?
I'm 67 I must be certifiable

Salty Craig
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 21:02

Gary O

I'm 35 going on 92. Yep an ol '79 model. A vintage piece of human perfection. You can just call me the Eli Whitney of young elderlys. A candidate and on most waiting lists for homes for the aging. I bet I have 19 grey hairs.

Salty

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Nov 2015 21:19

Pfft, yer just gettin' started

better grey than nay

talk to me when you discover an eight inch pubic hair growing on the pointy part of your ear lobe........

upndown
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 01:09

Haha, I fall into the nay gatagory. Been folically impaired most of my life. Been thru the ear pube myself, got hair growing in places I didn't even know I had places! WTH.

I've always had a sizeable mustache, had one of those wild hairs just kinda reaching for the sky a ladyfriend noticed it and reached over and plucked it..Yeow!! Made my eyes water, the only place my hair still hurts. She still laughs about it.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 02:34

Quoting: Salty Craig
Julie2OregonReal excited! Are you making any progress?

Not on the land in Oregon. Everything there has to wait until Spring, at the earliest, depending on weather. But I'm busy sorting and selling my stuff in Texas.

Your new land looks a lot like mine. Gah, I can't wait to get back there for good! Are you planning to get right to work or will you have to wait until next year to build?

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 05:53

Quoting: upndown
had one of those wild hairs just kinda reaching for the sky a ladyfriend noticed it and reached over and plucked it..Yeow!! Made my eyes water, the only place my hair still hurts. She still laughs about it.

Yeah, an ol' boss of mine reached over yanked a patch of my eyebrow out. Couldn't open the garage door, or get weather reception until it grew back out...

Steve_S
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 05:55

Quoting: upndown
folically impaired

ROFLOL Indeed... and my lovely sandy brown locks have all changed to Silver Wisdom Streaks now, well what's left anyways... and isn't it interesting where the odd crops of hair can pop out of ? Goodness Gracious, luckily I never had an over abundance of hair but maybe that's unlucky as the "new additions" are more observable... Suppose it's a 50/50 flip of the coin.

@ Salty, congrats on the find, looks like a nice spot to setup a cozy Hunt Camp. Deer Season - (Rifle) ends this week here and back to Bow for 2 weeks, then Black Powder @ Bow till Mid Dec.

upndown
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 12:08

Salty, congrats on your purchase! I've only been to that that part of the country once in my life, as a young boy to visit an uncle that had a small resort in Mass. I always thought I'd move that direction till I discovered the west, particularly the Southwest. Then I was hooked! Someday I'd still like to explore your neck of the woods.

Looking forward to seeing what you put on your property. Best of luck.

naturelover66
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 12:40

Youre only 35?!?!? The best years are yet to come. I almost croaked with a heart attack at 42. Found out i had a rare heart condition..and bought the cabin i always wanted. Life is good. Especially cabin life!
Lisa

Salty Craig
# Posted: 13 Nov 2015 20:16 - Edited by: Salty Craig

Julie2Oregon
Gonna start goofing with it over Thanksgiving vacation. Clearing, etc.

naturelover66
You are correct. Glad you survived.

upndown
I will document the build so y'all can watch.

Steve_S
I got 2 with muzzleloader. Our rifle starts tomorrow.

upndown
Gary O
Im getn R19 on my back.

Salty Craig

Rowjr
# Posted: 14 Nov 2015 11:24

Nice set up

Salty Craig
# Posted: 15 Nov 2015 19:00

I took my wife and kids there this afternoon. They haven't seen it yet. It has everyone's approval. There is some awesome rocks on it that I plan to arrange in front like a wall or something. Also use some for a sweet fire ring. See pic. This one is around 6ft long.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 15 Nov 2015 19:02

Here they are.
Mossy rock
Mossy rock
Night fall
Night fall

naturelover66
# Posted: 16 Nov 2015 11:42

That rocks been there forever i imagine.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 16 Nov 2015 18:23

naturelover66
It does look aged. It's as old as the world. I bet that rock has seen a lot of animals walk past. There's quit a few scattered around. I will need to use a trackhoe to move them. There's some huge ones up in the National Forest right behind this land. Make this one look like a baby.

Craig

Salty Craig
# Posted: 19 Nov 2015 15:59

Closed an hour ago. Done deal. Now the work starts. Can't wait.

Gary O
# Posted: 19 Nov 2015 17:33

Giddyup

upndown
# Posted: 19 Nov 2015 17:57

Congrats Salty!!!!

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.