naturelover66
# Posted: 19 Nov 2015 18:02

Yay!!! Congrats!

bobrok
# Posted: 19 Nov 2015 19:14

Quoting: Salty Craig
Massanutten Mountain, Western Virginia.

Hi Salty Craig!

This is *very* beautiful country. Congratulations on your new land!
We pass by the area all the time on our way south from NY. Next time in 3 weeks makin' our way down I-81 heading down to NC and then FL for the winter.

I really love the western VA area. Gorgeous! We always put up in Roanoke for the night on our sojourn.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Nov 2015 21:00

glad your closing went well...looking forward to your build.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 19 Nov 2015 21:49

Thanks to all. I plan to get a lot of pics of the build. My other cabin was built before I found this forum, so the thread is kinda boring. I will try to keep the next one more interesting.

bobrok
I81 goes between my home and this new property. I'm on it daily. If you like the area from the interstate, you should see the real Shenandoah Valley. The version that can't be seen from the highway. It really is a pretty place. I've flown out of Roanoke for numerous trips. Bahamas and Hawaii come to mind. I don't make it to Florida every winter but go occasionally. We have a trip planned for this winter. I have 2 business things to do in Orlando, then we will go to Sarasota for a bit. I like Fort Myers pretty good too.

Salty

Bevis
# Posted: 19 Nov 2015 23:17

I like Fort Myers pretty good too

If you make it down to Ft. Myers, give me a shout.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 20 Nov 2015 19:45

Bevis

I won't make it there this winter. Maybe another time. That is a really cool place. I caught a huge Amberjack under the bridge going out to the beach. I don't think I would want to live in Florida during the summer. It is really awesome to come down there in the winter and get a tan while it's snowing up here.

Salty Craig

Salty Craig
# Posted: 22 Nov 2015 13:18

I'm heading to the mountain this afternoon to meet the HOA President to get approval on my entrance location and clearing plans. I'm not used to having a boss........Er, other than my wife.

From our conversation on the phone, I see no problems. It's in the bylaws so we gotta meet. Stupid

Anyway, the subdivision has a number of "small" cabins. Portables, etc. the joint smells and looks like freedom so I'm not worried. The association was formed in the early 70's and I guess they were dreaming of greatness. Now it's a hunters paradise that's barely developed. The rules from 40 years ago still apply. I contribute the failure to the steep, windy road coming in. Perfect for me, not so much for others.

I will update this evening after I get home from the pow wow.

Craig

Salty Craig
# Posted: 22 Nov 2015 19:54

He didn't show.. Not sure why

Shadyacres
# Posted: 22 Nov 2015 20:11

Congrats on the new land Salty. Sounds like a very good find. Look forward to pictures as you go forth.

bobrok
# Posted: 22 Nov 2015 20:52

He didn't show.. Not sure why

Don't give up just yet. Give the benefit of the doubt and dig deeper. It's worth it.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 22 Nov 2015 21:20

He just left me a message that he waited at the wrong lot. No biggie. We will go over my plans another time.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 23 Nov 2015 02:35

Hahaha, that almost happened to me when I was meeting up with one of the neighbors in Oregon. He told me to meet him by the mailbox area near a certain mile marker. But because of all of the road construction going on around the mountain, some of the markers were missing and there were a couple of mailbox areas. So I was waiting in an area for a bit and thought, hmmm, maybe this isn't the right one and I should drive a bit farther to see if there are any more mile markers. Sure enough, I found one and I was a mile off. Good thing Tim was patiently waiting at the next mailbox area!

I hope your meetup goes well!

JDPugh
# Posted: 23 Nov 2015 12:33

Very good point that you have the full use of the national forest and the wildlife without the tax burden....I like that idea.

Curious about something. If you build a cabin on a small piece of land adjacent to a national forest, will they allow you to cut dead, broken or diseased trees for firewood?

upndown
# Posted: 23 Nov 2015 13:13 - Edited by: upndown

JD, I know in AZ I can go to the Forest Service and pull a free permit for 5-6 cords of firewood. Pine only, and don't get caught with any hardwoods, oak etc. pretty stiff fines! Just contact your local FS. Ours have always been easy to deal with as well as very helpful.
And do not cut any standing trees!!! Big No No.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 23 Nov 2015 16:00

JDPugh
Upndown is on track. It varies from state to state. We have a permit system in Va also. I'm pretty sure there won't be much dead stuff left on the ground within reasonable distance to my land. And yes, pretty sure no cutting live stuff.

Julie2Oregon
Why must things be so confusing?

Salty Craig
# Posted: 6 Dec 2015 19:01 - Edited by: Salty Craig

I took my gang up to the new property today. Met with the HOA President. He has no problems with my plans. I have the green light to proceed. The County that it is in allows 256 square ft. without a permit. Still not totally decided what will be built.

Here's a really cool fact. One of my best friends is buying the lot beside me. (I know that some of you are shocked that I have a friend). Ok, so our plan is to go up over Christmas vacation and clear/install driveways and building pads.

I started clearing today. See pic.

Craig
First tree
First tree

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 6 Dec 2015 19:38

Congrats... you're now in the valley! (Shenandoah).

bobrok
# Posted: 6 Dec 2015 19:44

I will be looking for construction equipment as I drive by you this Thursday, salty!

Salty Craig
# Posted: 6 Dec 2015 19:46

RichInTheUSA
Yeah buddy. Same county as your pad. I'm looking to spend less time on the road. Only go to Bay when I want to sail or fish. This property is only an hour from my house so it will be close enough for a one nighter anytime.

Salty

Salty Craig
# Posted: 6 Dec 2015 19:50

bobrok
Haha. We got heavy equipment all over town. A huge site only 2 minutes off 81. It will be Christmas till I start this mountain project. Er.......I guess I started today with my limb saw!!!!

Salty Craig
# Posted: 6 Dec 2015 19:55

bobrok
Be careful on 81. Its a death trap. Way to much traffic. If I wouldn't be working, we could hookup for lunch or something.

bobrok
# Posted: 6 Dec 2015 20:35

It would be cool to meet some forum members, wouldn't it?
I'll be thinking of ya as we motor on by

BTW, my s-i-l was born in Woodstock, VA. Nice li'l town.

...and I'm totally aware of the traffic on 81 in your area. I keep a keen ear on CB ch-19 cuz those truckers know what's going on.
The recent road widening and climbing lanes around Christiansburg help a lot.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 7 Dec 2015 19:08

bobrok
My new land is close to Woodstock. Real close. I love to watch the hang gliders. Yes, the improvements down toward Va Tech are great. Have a sunny winter down south. I will be in Orlando for a week in late February.

Craig

Salty Craig
# Posted: 30 Dec 2015 21:39

Today I started clearing the driveway. See before and after pics.

Craig
Before
Before
After
After

creeky
# Posted: 31 Dec 2015 11:31

Is there anything more fun than backhoe work? Okay. Maybe snowblowing after a blizzard.

Congrats on your new space.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 31 Dec 2015 20:27

creeky

I really enjoy the heavy equipment. Chainsaw is fun too. For two days now, I've logged. Can't wait to frame.

I love construction.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 1 Jan 2016 00:11

Looks like you are having fun. I am with you , equipment and chain saw and leave me alone.

neb
# Posted: 1 Jan 2016 09:46

Looks great keep us informed.

creeky
# Posted: 2 Jan 2016 12:04

I love construction.

ya buddy! Did a little hammer swinging in 2 ft of snow yesterday. did I need to? heck no. Was it a blast. Oh ya.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 2 Jan 2016 21:05

creeky

Snow?? What's that?? We haven't had much frost yet. Super warm. Darn El NiƱo.

My grass needs to be mowed.

I got a pad built today for the new cabin. Had so much fun that at dark I realized I didn't take any pictures. I'll get some for y'all next time I go up.

Salty

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.