Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Need tips for land purchase in Texas (central)
TxNana
# Posted: 2 Mar 2016 11:59

My first post here... just beginning the process of looking for land to build a weekend-for-now cabin east of San Antonio. Very simple camping/hunting/rec place in the woods. I've read everything I can about buying land in general (access, permitting, restrictions, drainage, easements), but could use some specific tips about this area if anyone has ideas. Especially as it relates to land in our hot, humid, buggy climate. Would love to look out on a forest, but conflicted about lack of air flow, mosquitos, etc.

Thanks for any thoughts...

shall
# Posted: 2 Mar 2016 13:39

I've been looking around SA for a couple of years now and check landsoftexas.com and zillow every day for new listings
East of San Antonio is more fertile land, not as hilly and the soil is more conducive to building a pond if that's a goal, but it touches on the Eagle Ford Shale in spots and seems to be pricey. Same applies to south of San Antonio
There's some decent prices west of SA, but you have to get around 100 miles out. Lots of hunting and scenery but the land is rocky for the most part.
Anything on water is expensive.
How many acres are you looking for?

TxNana
# Posted: 2 Mar 2016 15:24

>>How many acres are you looking for?

I'd love to have 50 or so acres, but considering the land prices, I'll probably have to settle for 25-30. We live in Houston, daughter in SA, so we're looking more around La Grange as "ideal." Of course, everyone wants land close to Austin, SA, and Houston. It looks like land going for around $8,000 an acre here. Whoo! Still, does no good to have great cheap land if it's too far away to get to. If you know of particular areas to stay away from due to ground water issues, subsidence or other factors, let me know. I wish I knew some locals in the area. They're always the best source.

Good luck in your search!

DRR
# Posted: 2 Mar 2016 17:08

http://www.glo.texas.gov/vlb/loans/index.html

Check this out if you're a veteran.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.