Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / How to approach a boundary dispute?
<< . 1 . 2 .
neb
# Posted: 28 Mar 2016 18:13

Just wondering how the boundary issue went.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 29 Mar 2016 09:55 - Edited by: PA_Bound

You have already received a lot of information here, most of it I agree with. But for posterity I would like to add a thought, as I have personal experience with this.

As noted previously, a boundary survey is a must- before you purchase any property. Assuming their stuff is on the property you are interested in, before you make a go/no-go decision based solely on that however someone (you?) should talk to the neighbors.

After I bought my land (which was surveyed by the PO just prior to the sale), my neighbor (whom I had never met) refreshed his boundary marks which clearly encroached on my property by at least 25 yards. Before approaching him about it, I decided to review the survey. That review indicated that the property description on my deed, recorded when the property was sub-divided in the early '80's, was wrong. After obtaining and reviewing the deed descriptions for the encroaching property and two others that also bordered mine, it turned out the deed descriptions were wrong for all 4 properties. What a nightmare! Now I was faced with contacting three landowners, none that I have ever met, and telling them their deeds were wrong. You can imagine how that could go.

But contact them I did, and they all turned out to be reasonable people. We've worked it out- and actually now keep in semi-regular contact. I now consider them friends.

So before you think the worst of people, give them a chance to do the right thing. My only advise is to stay humble, as they're just as likely to distrust you also.

If they turn out to be unreasonable- run away from the deal.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.