Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Moving to Oregon in about 3 weeks
. 1 . 2 . >>
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 10 Aug 2016 01:35

My house in Texas has sold, a cash offer I made on a property (that already has a well and a septic system) was accepted, and a small, modular cabin is in the works. I am very, very excited!

And very, very busy.

Steve_S
# Posted: 10 Aug 2016 08:25

CONGRATS JULIE ! Once the cash is in hand, that's when all the planning, pondering and considering's come into full play and the real adventure begins. Looking forward to seeing the project as it unfolds. Just remember to breath when you get over excited...

bldginsp
# Posted: 10 Aug 2016 08:41

Carefully considering all the alternatives has led to the best course. Congratulations.

But you, like me, are a buildermaniac, and once you get settled in, you're going to want a little guest cottage over there, or an addition to the cabin here.... that's when all the decisions, decisions and decisions begin again... Just kidding!

Post pics soon as you can.

Go Julie! To Oregon, that is.

Just
# Posted: 10 Aug 2016 08:43

GREAT NEWS all the best

creeky
# Posted: 10 Aug 2016 08:55

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 10 Aug 2016 13:05

Awesome! Congrats and enjoy.

Bret
# Posted: 10 Aug 2016 15:38

You go girl !! to Oregon.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 10 Aug 2016 16:21

Quoting: bldginsp
But you, like me, are a buildermaniac, and once you get settled in, you're going to want a little guest cottage over there, or an addition to the cabin here.... that's when all the decisions, decisions and decisions begin again... Just kidding!

Bwahahaha, bldginsp! No can do -- the lot is actually quite small. The area I bought in is a resort area and PRICEY -- over $40K an acre. BUT I bought a little lot with National Forest around me so I'll have the peace and the trees but it was very much in my price range.

There will be construction, though. Plenty, even though I'm putting in a modular in one fell swoop. I want to salvage the garage, if possible, and maybe do a breezeway connecting it to the cabin. That would be cool.

Here's the model I've tentatively selected (pending my choice of lender's approval, which I'm waiting to hear.):
Modular_cabin.jpg
Modular_cabin.jpg
modular_cabin_inside.jpg
modular_cabin_inside.jpg

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 10 Aug 2016 16:32

Thanks, all!

Yeah, Steve, when I start spinning, I have to sit down with a beverage and BREATHE.

Managing the cash flow and the timetables on closings, deposits, and construction is crazy.

I know that one of the criticisms has been about changing my mind, well, the two markets in which I've been operating have some really different realities that I've been trying to navigate. West Texas -- more sluggish real estate market with WAY fewer buyers. Oregon -- geez, it seems everyone and their brother is moving there. Properties are flying off the market. No one wanted offer contingencies, not even with a buyer and closing date on my house.

It's then that flexibility and creativity are a person's best friend. I'm not getting everything that I want but I'm going to be very, very happy with the cabin. I LOVE the location, even if I did have to give owning acreage.

In the end, it's all a balancing act.

naturelover66
# Posted: 10 Aug 2016 17:16

Yay for you. Congrats. Let the fun begin.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 10 Aug 2016 23:40 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Julie, make sure they do a "pit set" on that modular. This is where they do a dig out, set it in the pit on concrete runners and anchors. That way, its not setting high above the ground, low just like a conventional home. Make sure you have no less than 8" of space between ground and bottom of siding. Grade soil away from the house. And tell them you want brick for skirting, dont do the wood panels. Its a brick wall, looks like foundation, its not load bearing, it just hold back soil like a retaining wall. Tell them you want plenty of crawl space too.

Get overhand on the roof, many modulars/mfg cut short on overhang because it takes from floor space. In Oregon, you need overhang, especially if its west of the Cascade range.

Congrats Julie, nice when a plan comes together. Yes, once you have cash in hand, things can move fast, money talks.

Keep us posted, pictures of the progress etc.

Change your username from Julie2Oregon to JulieInOregon

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 11 Aug 2016 00:28

Thanks, naturelover66!

toyota_mdt_tech,

Thanks! Haha, maybe I'll get a little more creative with my name if I change it.

Yeah, they're "digging" and actually doing a poured concrete stemwall foundation with some piers in the middle set in concrete for added interior support. They explained the set and I was very pleased.

There's definitely an overhang but I can't remember how much of one. I'm still on the fence about whether I want gutters. That's a little thing, though. I've got bigger things on my plate first.

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Aug 2016 07:37

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Julie, make sure they do a "pit set" on that modular

Yes, yes, yes

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Aug 2016 08:19

yay.Julie.see u soon!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Aug 2016 08:53

Julie, will it be east of the cascade range or west? West, you want gutters for sure. Will it be a comp roof or metal? Metal, heavy snow slides off, need sno jacks to hold it so it wont tear off gutters. Different issues than Texas for sure. Hey, no hurricanes or tornadoes. But periodic high winds.

This is so cool, a plan comes together and quick like.

hattie
# Posted: 11 Aug 2016 15:36

Congratulations! Keep us all posted with your progress and post lots and lots of pictures, please.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 12 Aug 2016 05:20

Thanks, hattie!!!! Can't wait to see you and Gar, cabingal3!!!!

toyota_mdt_tech It's south-central, really. One of the higher southern Cascade peaks, Mt. McLoughlin will be about 7 miles from my place (if you've ever heard of Lake of the Woods, I'm not far from there.) So, not a ton of snow but a fair bit.

Architectural shingles come standard and you can upgrade to metal roofing. I'm weighing the matter. Architectural shingles stand up well to wind -- it was the frequent hail storms that did in my roof here in Texas. They're wind-speed rated pretty high but only some are impact-resistant. Even so, I supposedly had an impact-resistant architectural roof but when ping-pong ball sized hail or larger is pummeling your roof several times per year, well ...

I don't think I'll be dealing with much hail in Oregon. I think architectural shingles would serve fine. Would it be worth it to upgrade to metal? I'm not sure. I'm thinking about it.

Steve_S
# Posted: 12 Aug 2016 07:37

Julie, the Tin Roof upgrade is worth it for a number of reasons and the cost to do it now is cheaper than later when re-roofing. Shingles provide surface that can & does grip debris and if you want to capture rain, tin is the better way to go as well.

Sadly, Dow Corning ceased production of their Solar Shingles this summer but a couple of other companies are still making them and now apparently SolaCity-Tesla will be making them as well...

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Aug 2016 09:07

Julie, we get hail here, usually spring time and the hail stones are the size of a BB and never damage anything. Those golf ball sized and snow ball sized hailstones will be a thing of the past for you. If you just get moderate snow, the architectural stuff will be fine. But requires cleaning. On my tin roof, I have never had to go up there and clean it.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 13 Aug 2016 18:04

Steve_S
Explain Solar Shingles to me! I'm not sure that's something the modular company would want to deal with but, hey, you never know! Maybe I could get the solar company in town to work in tandem with them and include that as part of the financing.

toyota_mdt_tech
I will not miss huge hail, frequent tornado threats and blistering stretches of over 100-degree days (like we've been in recently). Oh no, I will not.

I like metal. Truth be told, it's my preference. The only thing that causes me pause is that it can be a leaky mess if not done exactly right and I just haven't seen many metal roofs around there. So my concern centers on installation experience and, also, the ease of adding on in the future if I wish to do so. Shingles are easy, in that regard.

bldginsp
# Posted: 13 Aug 2016 18:58 - Edited by: bldginsp

Rats I typed a whole bunch of stuff and it disappeared when I hit post. Oh well.

Congrats Julie. All your research and mind changing has resulted in you finding the best solution for you.

Steve_S
# Posted: 13 Aug 2016 20:44

Solar Shingles have been around a while but not a huge amount of development on them so they are not quite up to snuff right now... Mostly 100w / 12v which is pointless given cost... But I believe this is starting to change and should be moving faster now with recent developments.

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Aug 2016 22:14

Rats I typed a whole bunch of stuff and it disappeared when I hit post

Been happening to me too (sorry J2O for the OT but it's very frustrating)

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 14 Aug 2016 19:20

Hey, y'all are writing to the rambling writing queen. No apologies necessary. OT is my state of being, hahahaha!

Steve_S
Yeah, I attempted to search for suppliers and cost but came up with little. Except the supports for them, which I found on Ebay, are really expensive. More than $2K for just 60 shingles. Yikes!

I've found some nice 1.2 kW grid-tied packages that are all-inclusive (panels, micro-inverters, flashing, racking, all of the nuts and bolts) for about $2,500. These are expandable systems -- easy to add more panels when you've got the money. I think that's the way to go for solar.

Thanks for the good wishes, bldginsp!

rmak
# Posted: 21 Aug 2016 13:29

Missed your thread, Julie. Hope all is/went well depending on where you're at. Ever think about writing a book? You had so many ups, downs, etc. it would be informative and probably educational.

bldginsp
# Posted: 21 Aug 2016 21:14

I second the motion. But it has to have a recipe for rattlesnake and armadillo casserole.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 21 Aug 2016 22:03

rmak
Thanks! I'm crazy-busy but things are progressing well. I think it looks like mayhem but my son walked in the house today and said, "Wow! It looks like you're ready to move in a few days!" That's super because I've got 2 1/2 weeks!

My house sale closes here on Sept. 8; we're heading out Sept. 9; my land purchase closes in OR on Sept. 15. I've started the permitting process and such with the county from here and have been working with the construction folks on the cabin, too, so things are under way and we can hit the ground running when I arrive. I don't want to be in the camper on the land too long. Autumn can be unpredictable.

Yeah, it's been an odyssey but all of the pondering, questions, research, and planning have really paid off, down to the little details. I've been buying stuff for the cabin in bits and bobs when I find it on clearance, on sale, and on Craigslist, etc. Wow, has THAT been a help! So I have my cookware, dishes, bedding, furniture, solar lighting, camp stuff, etc. all packed and put away, ready to go, and I can just give away and donate my current things at the very last.

I may do a blog. If the blog turns into a book, more the better! Many folks have the money, good fortune, and people/help to simply buy and do what they want but I guess for those whose way to a simpler life is harder to achieve, my journey may prove helpful.

bldginsp
I've eaten rattlesnake. Deep-fried. You'll laugh -- there's an event touted as the "World's Largest Rattlesnake Roundup" here, and it may be because people literally come to it from all over the world. I went once just to say I did. And they had a snack bar with a rattlesnake combo meal -- not kidding. Four pieces of fried rattlesnake, fries, and a Coke for $5. Not much meat on rattlesnake but it tastes like dark meat poultry. Pretty good.

As for armadillo, um, no. Just no. About 30 percent of armadillos carry leprosy. Treatable these days but ...
I think armadillos are adorable. Love to watch them snuffle about and retreat in their shell when they are frightened. Cute faces on them.

Littlecooner
# Posted: 22 Aug 2016 08:53

I second the motion. But it has to have a recipe for rattlesnake and armadillo casserole.

I take it you have not tried fried Rattlesnake, like julie says, it is similar to chicken, just more bones and less meat. And the tanned hides make the most beautiful wall adornment for cabins. I need to hunt up some pictures and post.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 23 Aug 2016 03:07

Did you move to Rocky Point? I looked at several parcels over there. Eventually, I settled on 5 acres over by Mount Scott. I've since sold that one and picked up 37 acres over by Lakeview (for 14k). I think it is a great region for small cabin living. Klamath and Lake county are pretty easy to work with, in my experience.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 23 Aug 2016 13:51

BadgersHollow
Yes, I'm going to Rocky Point! I went for location over acreage which, in my situation, was the best decision, I believe. Rocky Point land is pricey but I do need to be closer to services because of my diseases. I like the fact that I'll be within easy driving distances to K-Falls, Medford, and Ashland for medical care. Winner all the way around for me -- remote feel, gorgeous views, but close to a good highway so I won't be stuck.

I bought 3/4 of an acre. Just enough land to do my thing and forest all around me, of course.

Lakeview is a pretty area! How are you liking it over there? I totally agree about Klamath County -- the officials have been SO helpful and pleasant. Very efficient, too. I've done quite a bit via email, pdf forms and electronic signature and they get things to me lightning fast.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.