Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Urban Explorers or serial trespassers?
JH Fish
# Posted: 1 Oct 2016 19:50

There is a breed of trespassers that call themselves urban explorers. The philosophy of many is "Leave nothing but foot prints, take nothing but photographs"

And while many of them are interested in places of historical significance, there are likely just as many that enjoy the thrill of entering private property, taking pictures, and then posting them up on their exclusive sites for other members to see. Members with really interesting sites will share GPS coordinates with each other. They try to operate under the radar and go by the axiom: "It is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission"

If a building is abandoned, urban, or remote, they may try to enter it through doors or windows that are unlocked or broken. Or through an entry point that does not require tools or blatant forced entry to gain access.

If your property has potentially historic structures or significance, was once occupied by settlers, is in a ghost town, or maybe has an old, run-down barn or farmhouse on it, the urban explorers may come snooping around.....
......especially when they think you are not present.

Trespassing laws vary but the urban explorers...cough-cough....serial trespassers...... in Ontario have put together this guide to trespassing and the trespassing law of Ontario:

http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread.asp?fid=3&threadid=66590

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Oct 2016 20:04 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

You know, if someone was just walking through and left no sign of being there, I wouldnt mind. Probably because I never knew he was there. Lets say someone shot a deer, and it ran off and expired on my property. They could retrieve it, leave no sign, have to pack it out, includes gut pile.

I took in some horses (refugees from last years forest fires, lost their pasture and fenced in area) and there was a stock tank set up on my property, the man attending the horses had found about 6 cigarette butts in the stock tank every few days. So someone was trespassing and smoking. Where has he put his butts before the stock tank? and also being a fire hazard. I am now insured if a trespasser was hurt. It wont cover his expense, it just protects me from a lawsuit, his injuries are still his problem. I do have it well marked, all fully fenced off and gated. Its the liability and lawsuits and as you mentioned, with everyone having a nice camera phone, pictures of my interior and post as to its location etc makes me uncomfortable too.

I am fortunate to have befriended many locals and no outlet on my road, you have to exit the same way you went in and go past a friend of mine who is very watchful of any traffic going in he doesn't recognize.

Steve_S
# Posted: 1 Oct 2016 20:36

Perfect during Hunting Season... yup.

JH Fish
# Posted: 1 Oct 2016 21:50

Many of these folks view trespassing like speeding. Do it just enough to not get caught. If you do get caught, you can talk your way out of it a lot of the time. If you do get charged, it's not that big of a deal because it will only cost you about $75.

I found out by accident that someone had been on our property and the property of our friends through some web surfing. There were enough details of our properties, posted on the internet, for us to know that the person who posted the details ignored the no trespassing signs as well as the gates.

Wilbour
# Posted: 2 Oct 2016 08:23

This crosses over onto the similar delemma I have with hunting dogs. Last weekend the good old boys drove their dogs over to our island and let them loose. I'm a urban dweller from Monday to Friday and would never think it's ok to let animals trespass, even if they are just passing through. So here on our island I get a little upset. Honestly though they are not harming anything. What's more dangerous are the boys ripping down the roads at accessive speeds looking at their GPS .

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.