Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Access road and camper pad
Smit0577
# Posted: 20 May 2017 16:15 - Edited by: Smit0577

I was tempted to entitle this "driveway and parking pad" but that is a little more intense than I'm looking for.

Last fall I purchased 40 acres in NW Wisconsin. The parcel is just a few miles from my parents' cabin, so my plan was to use it as a big back yard for my kids and our dog (and me) when I'm up there. Eventually, there could be something like a few treehouses, bike trails, zip lines...... if you're still reading you probably understand about daydreaming.

There is the old shadow of a forest road through the first little part of the property. It is where we always start with our hikes. Well, a friend has asked if he can park his 1959 airstream in the land. Of course! Everybody wins!

My question for this awesome group is: what prep do I have to do? The soil is sandy, so do I just clear the brush from the old road and try driving on it? I wouldn't mind having a way to pull in and park for hikes or even plow in the winter for the snowshoeing trips. It abuts about 1500 country forest acres. So, how do you do as little as possible and still have an access road?

I drive a Subaru crosstrek and a Subaru station wagon.

Thanks!

ICC
# Posted: 20 May 2017 21:23 - Edited by: ICC

Does "the shadow of a forest road" traverse level terrain or is there a slope? Does the sandy soil absorb all the water in a heavy rain or does it run off? My experience has been that slopes + sandy or loose soil + enough rain = erosion, sometimes severe.

We have areas with deep packed volcanic pumice hills and ridges as well as fine pumice sand between hills. Even with water breaks every so often down the hill roads, we end up with washouts after heavy rains especially in the tire tracks. So much so we have an ex-military Allis Chalmers grader. that has paid for itself a few times since dad bought it 20 years ago. Our main access road was contractor built to be an all weather road. Built to county road standards it cost a fortune but still requires maintenance every couple of years or so. That required some digging out and layers of different sized rock and gravel

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 May 2017 23:15

You'd probably be fine when it's dry. And as ICC said, slopes are more challenging. Sounds like he has a worst case scenario where he had to excavate in order to lay base rock. You may get a decent driveable road by simply grading and putting down gravel. It would be best to hire a local tractor or grader operator to grade first and then spread and grade the gravel afterward.

But local conditions require local knowledge. Many people have already done what you plan, and can tell you what to expect from the soil. So, you're asking the wrong people since we know nothing of your conditions. On my property on a silty/clayey soil 3-4 inches of gravel does the trick, even when soaking wet. You need to find out the minimum you need to do for your soil and weather conditions in order for the road to be useable after a week of rain.

Oh, and snow destroys RVs pretty quick if they are not designed for the load. I don't know whether Airsteams are, but even so a travel trailer left out in the weather will suffer from moisture. Best thing to do is build a roof over it- get one of those metal carport things or build one yourself. If you get a lot of snow it will need to be engineered, but the Airstream will last forever under a drip line.

Smit0577
# Posted: 21 May 2017 01:02 - Edited by: Smit0577

Thanks a lot for the replies! I can probably get some local contacts through my folks and their friends.

The area with the old road is pretty level and appears to be well drained. There are a few forest roads through the county land that I'd like to emulate and they don't look like they took much work.

Maybe I can put the money into a carport!

Thanks again.

NorthRick
# Posted: 22 May 2017 16:41

You didn't say how far you want to go with this driveway. If it's not too far, I'd brush it by hand and drive those Subarus in during dry weather. If that goes well, get a tow strap and a comealong or winch and try it after some rain. A primitive road like that can last a long time if used lightly and you stay off of it when it is really wet and when the ground thaws in the spring.

Hauling in a trailer is another matter but still may work if the ground is good.

cspot
# Posted: 22 May 2017 21:43

We have yet to put a driveway in at our place. I was going to put it in this year and build the cabin next, but we are switching those plans. Ours is down a thru a field and has a decent slope. Since there is vegetation growing on it, it stays in pretty good shape with occasional weekend use. Truthfully for most of the year we can pull down to the camper we have setup. During the winter and spring when it is thawed out and nasty wet, we have to park at the road. Not a huge deal, but next year I hope to have the driveway put in. During the summer even with rain with 4 wheel drive you can get out easily without tearing it up.

Forest roads can be a little more problematic since there is a lack of sunlight, the vegetation won't grow as well. They also tend to stay wet longer. Both of these are more likely to make a greasy muddy road that you will tear up. If your soil is sandy and well drained though you may be in good shape. The best way to find out is when you start using it.

cspot
# Posted: 22 May 2017 21:48

Another thing unless there is a highly desirable spot way back in, I would keep the camper out somewhat close to a road. The cost to install and maintain a driveway can get expensive if you are going far back in. Also if in NW Wisconsin, then you are likely to get alot of snow. If camper is close to the road, then you can park at road and walk in easily during the winter months.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.