Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Are there polite "PRIVATE PROPERTY" signs?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
iwhitewater
# Posted: 30 Jan 2011 12:06 - Edited by: iwhitewater

I have property in the Boston mountains of Arkansas. Arkansas recognizes a specific usfs purple marking paint as a legal posting of property. The following is the requirement taken from the Arkansas website and is followed by a link which has more detailed information for all legal markings of properties in Arkansas. Maybe you can get your state to adopt such a law.

•Paint — vertical paint marks at least 8 inches in length shall be placed on trees or posts no more than 100 feet apart, and at each road entrance. The paint marks shall be not less than 3 feet nor more than 5 feet from ground level, and shall be readily visible to any person approaching he property.

Here is the link from the state of Arkansas http://www.forestry.state.ar.us/manage/postingproperty.html

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Feb 2011 04:10

well i think i like sort of firm stay out signs...but up at our woods i did see one sign.it was so big on someones property.it said BE NICE.
HMM.

bugs
# Posted: 21 Feb 2011 11:40

We have a guard swallow.
"I stand on guard for thee"
"I stand on guard for thee"

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 Feb 2011 11:42

snicker...pretty good one bugs!thanks for the laugh

TomChum
# Posted: 4 Jul 2011 00:27 - Edited by: TomChum

Saw this one a few weeks ago. On a forest road, but obviously passing thru private property.
A private property sign
A private property sign

TomChum
# Posted: 29 May 2012 15:24 - Edited by: TomChum

Here's another that I found out in the boonies. The "we care about this land" as a 'second subject' makes it a little confusing, I think it might work better without that line.

Also note that its 24 years old and that it's Aluminum. Plastic signs last about a year or two.
Polite private property sign
Polite private property sign

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 May 2012 14:56

How about no trespassing, violaters will be shot, survivors shot again. Actually, I think the hunting by permission only is a good idea. Once they get an "in", they can help protect the place, so they dont lose their privledges. You can do more, just semi regulate them so not too many there at one time compromising safety. Explain tot hem to keep it just like you found it, if it gets trashed, it gets closed. They would even pick up trash not left by them to preserve their sweet little gig.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 May 2012 15:01

I have my driveway gated, large rocks on each side to prevent driving around it, and 4 foot high barbed wire fence around the entire perimiter, 4 runs, all 12" apart. Not easy to climb over and through. Its marked the entire perimiter and have had zero issues.

Rench
# Posted: 30 May 2012 15:05

I've been thinking about this one a lot lately. I've read in other forums that one way to duck a lot of the above (making it look tempting to check out, being overly aggressive, etc) is make it about the would-trespassers' safety. Post signs that they are entering a gun range. Not "if you can read this I'll shoot you," just legitimate, professional, "live fire range, do not enter." I'd think that would give most people pause.

-R

doo-drew
# Posted: 30 May 2012 16:44

I believe its best to just have a general do not trespass unless there Is there a sign out there that says:

Welcome - snowmobiles, ATV's, and Hunters tracking wounded game. Tree huggers, hikers, people walking dogs taking a dump on my land, and mountain bikers will be shot, survivors shot again.

Just checking? If not, maybe I'll get a few done.

TomChum
# Posted: 30 May 2012 16:44 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: TomChum
.......not interested in perpetuating or encouraging the rudeness that is becoming part of the "American Way", (at least not yet....)

None of the neighbors out there have rude signs. And I don't want my actions to teach my kids "that way" to deal with people who you don't know. For now things are pretty cool, nice neighbors & the "explorers", if they are exploring, at least haven't done anything to get my attention (and I'm very observant!). I've found a part of the country where people seem tobe nice, and I wouldn't want to be the one to ruin it.

I'm currently using the fluorescent orange "Private Property" signs which I hate but haven't found better; and am sadly becoming indifferent to them. They are UGLY and I hate seeing them when I'm out exploring our beautiful country. They are plastic, and at 1.5 years old are about at the end of their life, I hope to find something better for the next round (hopefully not just "the same" in Aluminum)

"Hunting by written permission only"..... I like that, it's respectful and gets **part of** the message across.

Looking forward to more ideas / signs / methods !

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 May 2012 22:53

well right now...when we go to our cabin.i do my walk about the property and i see cow pies.we have an irrigation ditch on our side and a pasture of cows on the oppossite side.i think i see whats going on.the farmer is opening his fence to let cows come on our property to eat grass and get water.
i dont know if this is a law as in the irrigation ditch is open for them cause of some kalamth country laws...but i say a simple-keep out is pretty plain and simple.nothing like guns pointing at them or pictures of dogs snarling teeth...hee hee.just simple.

musherpeg
# Posted: 20 Jul 2012 21:10

I saw one that made me laugh. "This property protected by a loaded gun four days a week. You guess which four."

TomChum
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 13:07 - Edited by: TomChum

Yes threatening bodily harm witha sign outside your 'peaceful retreat' is popular, it's has become "the new Americana", so popular it's just 'funny'. Effective I guess, but at what cost?

I'm not sure how our culture's going to dig out from under this, all the kids are learning it and they're gonna teach the grandkids.

241comp
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 14:22

There are some good quality, polite signs available from the Maine Dept of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife which simply state "No Access Without Permission," which invites the visitor to ask for permission before they enter your property (and legally restricts them from doing so without permission). Very affordable, too ($0.50/ea), and quite visible in bright yellow: https://www10.informe.org/webshop_ifw/index.php?p=4280&c=42&storeID=2

They also have some other great signs, such as one which politely indicates foot traffic is welcome (no vehicles) for placement on paths or in fields where vehicle traffic is unwanted.

musherpeg
# Posted: 22 Jul 2012 17:05

My feeling is that signs in general don't work. We have several polite no trespassing signs on our property but people ignore them. At least half a dozen times this past winter we had idiots on snowmachines follow the trail that leads to my dog yard. It has a large sign that says that there is no trespassing and the trail leads to a dog yard. Then they tore up the trail trying to get out of there. We will keep the signs up if for no other reason we can point them out when confronting trespassers.

Peg

White Eagle
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 09:23

I find most of these posts comical, absurd, and non-sensical.

Why do you guys feel you have the "right" to own the land on this planet? Because you purchased it for money? Who gave you this right? "The Government"? Imo, all vast stretches of land at the very least should be under everyman's right or freedom to roam. What about the native Indians whom your land originally belonged to and was taken away from by force? How do you feel about that?

What if one person owned all the land in the world (not you), and he posted no trespassing signs everywhere and enforced them, would you be OK with it?

PA_Bound
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 10:56 - Edited by: PA_Bound

@White Eagle- Please don't be a "troll". If you would like to begin a discussion on your thoughts or position, please create a new topic.

FYI- In Internet slang, a "troll" is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally, or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. -Wikipedia

PatrickH
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 11:07 - Edited by: PatrickH

The signs I use at the driveway is a handpainted sign that has my last name on it and private property so when the scum come calling they know exactly who there are tresspassing against then closer to the house is a hardware store black and orange sign come any closer if I'm around everyone here knows what that sign looks like.

Truecabin
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 11:17 - Edited by: Truecabin

good idea

rayyy
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 14:04

My sign posted in my front door say's...Jeremy,enjoy your stay at the cabin.Do me a few favors though.#1. don't let Bear run loose any more.Neighbor lady say's she'll shoot him dead if he scares her kid's one more time.#2.check all the critter cam's and the trap's every day.I'm just dying to catch that little basturd that keep's ripping up the garbage bags.#3.Turn off all the lights and disconnect the water pump and take all your garbage with you.

MtnDon
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 17:22

Quoting: White Eagle
What about the native Indians whom your land originally belonged to and was taken away from by force? How do you feel about that?

I feel that the Native Americans got a raw deal. Nobody deserves to be treated as Native Americans were treated by the European invaders. But what can be done about that now? What good does it do anyone to attack modern day property rights?

~~~~~~
What if one person owned all the land in the world (not you), and he posted no trespassing signs everywhere and enforced them, would you be OK with it?

People have been in that situation, except that it wasn't a single person but a class of people; Kings, Lords, etc. . Read some European history starting back in the 1300's.

~~~~~

It should be noted that before Europeans came to the Americas life here for the Native Americans was not a rose garden. Everyone did not get along with others. There were tribal wars. Camps were attacked and destroyed. Some of those captured from other tribes were enslaved. The Europeans had technological advantage over the Native Americans. Unfortunately the Native Americans were doomed.

Back in Europe there were also territorial wars. That too was nothing new. History is a long record of attacks and brutality.

I'm not saying any of that past history was right, much of it was totally wrong. But that was in the past.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 5 Oct 2013 17:55

i have not had too many tresspassers, a couple tourists showed up in the past looking around but most people stay far away from my place, only the best off road trucks could get in AND out of the driveway, the animal skulls on the homemade log gate help. and there is a sign with an old banjo next to it saying "warning, tresspassers will be violated"

since i put the banjo next to the sign not even the tourests have showed up.

White Eagle
# Posted: 6 Oct 2013 09:14

Quoting: PA_Bound
@White Eagle- Please don't be a "troll". If you would like to begin a discussion on your thoughts or position, please create a new topic.

FYI- In Internet slang, a "troll" is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally, or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. -Wikipedia

My intent is not to be a troll, or rude. I apologize if I offended you or anyone else. That is definitely not my intent. I would, however, like to inject a dose of humility into these discussions. I find the topic to be particularly relevant to my points, especially, vis-a-vis several posters discussing signs that threatened trespassers with being shot. What do you think is more absurd - reflecting on what it means to own beautiful land in relation to people that are no longer allowed to step their foot on it, or threatening to kill someone because they set a foot on "your" land?

hattie
# Posted: 6 Oct 2013 09:36

What do you think is more absurd - reflecting on what it means to own beautiful land in relation to people that are no longer allowed to step their foot on it, or threatening to kill someone because they set a foot on "your" land?

I sacrificed, doing without to buy my land, I paid a lot of money to fix up my land, I pay the taxes on my land, I maintain my land making it beautiful and restful. It's my land. I will allow visitors to come onto my land to visit. I will not allow trespassers to come onto my land and litter it, pitch a tent, potentially get injured on it and then try to sue me for that.

Sorry this is a bit off topic here, but I just wanted to put in my two cents. That's all I will say about this.

White Eagle
# Posted: 6 Oct 2013 09:40

Quoting: MtnDon
I feel that the Native Americans got a raw deal. Nobody deserves to be treated as Native Americans were treated by the European invaders. But what can be done about that now? What good does it do anyone to attack modern day property rights?

In the context of owning "small property" land, questing property ownership serves very little purpose and can garner very little support. However, in the context of owning vast stretches of land completely disproportionate with one's needs, purely for the sake of enjoyment, it's important to question the ethics of it, especially if we are talking about keeping "trespassers" away. I find the Native American take on "their" land to be very human and humble: http://www.ammsa.com/publications/windspeaker/inuit-perspectives-land-ownership I think we could learn a great deal from their approach. After all, we are part of nature, at least last time I checked on Wikipedia

People have been in that situation, except that it wasn't a single person but a class of people; Kings, Lords, etc. . Read some European history starting back in the 1300's.

Sure, and I believe as civilized and progressive societies we have largely eliminated the problems of Kings. Call me crazy, but if one person owned all the land in the world, I'd be fully on board of a revolution to change that

It should be noted that before Europeans came to the Americas life here for the Native Americans was not a rose garden. Everyone did not get along with others. There were tribal wars. Camps were attacked and destroyed. Some of those captured from other tribes were enslaved. The Europeans had technological advantage over the Native Americans. Unfortunately the Native Americans were doomed.

Back in Europe there were also territorial wars. That too was nothing new. History is a long record of attacks and brutality.

I'm not saying any of that past history was right, much of it was totally wrong. But that was in the past.

Sure. But it is important to establish the notion that in the context of history, land frequently changes hands and that ownership of land is mutable. To lay claim to "own" land in perpetuity is simply delusional imo. Today, it belongs to Native Americans, tomorrow to you, and the day after tomorrow to someone else. Furthermore, I find the notion of vast stretches of non-farm land belonging to someone purely for their personal enjoyment to be simply absurd I am sorry to be so blunt about it, but it makes no sense to me, especially on ethical grounds. We have to discuss ethics and not law, because history has thought us that law is also mutable and often plays catch-up with ethics. For example, how can one person own more 20 acres of beautiful land so that they and their family can enjoy it, but tourists/other people that venture onto it are threatened to be shot? How is that even human people? It's one thing to talk about small land properties that support a home, and quite another to discuss multiple acres of wild, beautiful land that is not being utilized for farming and serves a pure enjoyment of nature function. Why are you entitled to enjoy the beautiful nature around you and others that are less monetarily endowed are not? If I am ever in an amazingly fortunate position to "own" that much land, I will make signs that encourage others to enjoy it as much as I will and build trails so that people can hike it.

Troll out.

PatrickH
# Posted: 6 Oct 2013 10:00

@White eagle you will likely only welcome people on your land until you are violated or someone sues you for injuring themselves on you property, We where sued because we had a package delivered by a person contracted by Fedex who supposidly fell and broke his ankle on our driveway, no witnesses no proof $60,000 is what he got. So good luck with that!I used to like to think people are generally good,turns out there not.

Truecabin
# Posted: 6 Oct 2013 10:02 - Edited by: Truecabin

"Sorry this is a bit off topic here, but I just wanted to put in my two cents. That's all I will say about this."

sorry i dont believe it
there learn a lesson dont feed the trolls

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Oct 2013 11:07

Yeah, you're right Truecabin, feeding trolls is like feeding bears in the wild. But I can't help myself with the trolls; at least they can't bite me and do any real harm. I've encountered these arguments before and find them entertaining. Many, maybe most, all ? end up in wanting everything shared equally among all the people. All goods, etc. Doesn't matter how much hard work or how little goes into one's life.

Anyhow, notice that I asked a question or two. And they were not answered. That too is also typical troll behavior. I perhaps should have placed them in BOLD.

But what can be done about that now? "that" being the system of private land ownership that we have in place.

Huh! ????

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 6 Oct 2013 12:04

I will add that I don't have a problem when people who want to enjoy nature and wander on my land. It's the ones that litter their empty beer cans, Tim Horton's coffee cups (I'm Canadian eh) etc, do damage or worse, steal! Surely White Eagle you can rationalize why people would want to protect what they have worked so hard for and enjoy so much.

Like Don said, history is full of unfairness, evil, whatever you want to call it. Unfortunately the future will be too. That's life and that's the reality. I'm sure everybody on this forum has worked very hard and sacrificed lots for what they have and what they enjoy. Today's system of land ownership works so let's embrace it and if someone chooses to protect their hard work and is not willing to share it then so be it. It is their right.

On a final note, in Canada there are always ongoing Native land claims. Our Federal government continues to try and right the wrongs of the past, often at the expense of us in the present and future. I get that Natives were displaced, swindled with bad deals, however you describe it. But I have to ask what about all the people who have ever been swindled out of their life savings/ their homes, their land by fraudsters, criminals, government or have been displaced by big corporations? Are all those victims compensated the same way? I think not!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.