Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Hidden market for properties?
Chuck
# Posted: 6 Jan 2018 16:38

Do you know anyone (neighbour, friend, relative) who is thinking of selling a property in Eastern Ontario (OTTAWA)

I have been scouring the real estate websites for months and finding it a bit hard to locate the right fit. I'm starting to think that, just like there is a "hidden" job market when you're looking for work, there is probably also a hidden market for some properties that are not advertised.

This forum would seem to have the best "in-the-know" group for asking about such properties for sale. So please let me know if you can think of anything. Thanks.

DaveBell
# Posted: 6 Jan 2018 17:57

Thanks for specifically telling us what you are looking for (right fit).

Landwatch.com shows 72 properties.

If you go to each major town in the area, they may have a local newspaper with properties not shown on websites. You can also advertise in those papers what you are looking for although you need to be more specific.

Real estate agents can also help.

I don't think there is a dark web for real estate.

Chuck
# Posted: 6 Jan 2018 20:27

Thanks for the link. I am looking for 1 to 3 acres, and I have up to 30k available as for price I can afford. And I'm hoping the property will have a handful of mature sugar maples on it. In my last experience asking for help to find my previous property, I spent 2 years seeking help from real estate agents and doing my own research as well. In the end, it was an old ad I had placed on Kijiji that someone responded to that led me to make my purchase in Ompah. (I have such ads running currently on Kijiji). Because the commission would not be very sizeable, it seemed to me that the efforts put in by the real estate agents I dealt with were very spotty at best. They would send me listings that were in the $200K or listings with none of the features I was looking for. In the rural property that I just sold, the real estate agent involved decided to represent the buyer (in addition to repping me)and never told me in advance but merely to say she was sending me an offer from a buyer. I asked this would work and she said "I do it all the time and don't worry, I am fair". Furthermore, she intervened on behalf of the buyer when there was a snag on the final price. Whether I was in the wrong (which I wasn't), she was not able to stay neutral as my agent only and so I'm very tired of dealing with such types. I realize there are some good eggs out there but my experiences in the last ten years of purchasing homes, etc, have not endeared me to many of them.

Finally, my mention of the hidden market is an allusion to properties that might be available only through word of mouth from people who live in the same region as me. That would be similar to the DEEP web, and not the Dark web, which is an entirely different animal. Thanks for your input.

DaveBell
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 00:22

Reminds me of the 3x4 cards tacked up in the barbershop or small store.

I would go for the Local newspaper ads. Real Estate wanted. Looking for one small wooded lot to buy, couple of acres. With that you may also get someone to sell a slice of their farm who wasn't even planning to sell.

DaveBell
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 00:44

I just went to Realtor.CA Ontario (OTTAWA) 1 acre for 19,000, etc. Plenty of them. Wasn't hard at all. Don't know where in the Ottawa area you like.

Chuck
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 01:10

Believe me, I have seen them at that price and I have been temped. Most do not have the maples I am looking for. I'd be willing to pay the extra $$ (up to $30k) to get a similar place with a couple dozen maples just to tap as a hobby. I found one place for 2+ acres about an hour from Ottawa with mature maples but the asking price was $40K.

Chuck
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 01:14

The other thing is that some of them are zoned residential so that you can't build a cabin on them.

Steve_S
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 06:36

Geezus, wrote a nice response and the board ate it ! Grrrrrrr !!!!! Throws rocks at Puter Gremlins ! Ain't retyping it....

Do a search for "Grattan Rd" near Douglas in realtor.ca Then Golden Lake area as well (not waterfront). Get copies of the local press, saw an ad in the printed copy of http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/ for a property on Goldenlake for 20K. and a few others... don't expect any real estate agents to work hard for low % sales & do NOT allow yourself to be double ended again, I believe that was made illegal in Ontario as it is a conflict of interest.

Rickant
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 06:49

Would you consider land on he Quebec side of the river? Before the holidays I saw a posting for a good chunk of land with sugar maples, will see if I can find it again. Also in my years of hunting for a property I have found that if you wait on agents to bring the listings to you they will be sold quickly or not desirable. have worked with many agents and I have had more success finding listings myself or travelling around the area I want to be in and finding fsbo signs ( for sale by owner).

deercula
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 11:58

I feel your pain!
I found out about the useless realtors during my search for land. They sent me on many wild goose chases. After a while my wife refused to go because the parcels were such JUNK.
I spent years looking for that perfect, "lifetime" spot. Many hours researching, walking, driving, and countless gallons of gasoline. I put the word out to anybody and everbody that i had cash, and was ready to buy. A few leads turned up but nothing i really wanted. I had a craigslist "wanted" ad up for months with not one reply. Then out of the blue I got an email from a guy looking to sell 40 acres of his 110. We met two days later. A week later we had a handshake deal.

Keep looking and DON'T settle. The right piece will come along. Don't get discouraged. It is, or will be out there eventually. If you want that happy feeling that many members here have, be patient. GOOD LUCK!

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 12:38

We found ours by looking at property tax maps from the county we wanted. Then sent a letter to the owner of an unbuilt parcel that looked good. I agree that real estate listings can be pretty worthless. Lots and lots of overpriced listings that don't have the features you are asking for.

Chuck
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 13:59

Thanks Steve. The only listing I saw for Grattan Rd in Douglas was for $200K+ and has a house on it. This was at 56 Grattan. Couldn't see others. I also checked out the daily iobserver (online) but that listing wasnt on (there is a classifieds section but they only had remax homes in real estate and nothing in the "buy and sell" section). But I appreciate getting leads.

Chuck
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 14:04

Rickant. Yes, I am also ready to purchase in Quebec. These last few weeks, I havent seen specific mentions of maples in listings from there. So, yes, if you do come across that listing again, I'd be grateful if you flipped it to me. I know they have a quota system in Qc where you are not allowed to over produce, but this is for larger producers and I don't believe it affects small potato tappers.

Chuck
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 14:07

Deercula, believe me. Your words really hit the spot. I was starting to get in a "settling" mood and your comments came at the right time! Fist pump!

Chuck
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 14:18

Fifty-fifty, I wondered about doing something like what you did but I wasn't sure how to go about it. I'm gonna inquire about whether we can get these property tax maps here in Ontario. Great tip! Tks.

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 7 Jan 2018 16:32

Here in my state, the tax info is accessed on line through the county website. I have heard that not all counties keep maps, but all of them are required to keep basic listings: the location, the amount of tax, the assessed property value, and the name and address of the person paying the taxes. How it works in Ontario I have no idea.

The next step then was to look at the land using Google maps satellite views. What used to be even better (although I think is has been discontinued) was Bing's low altitude pictures. On those you could discern trees well enough to give you an idea of whether it had some likely maples.

Kamn
# Posted: 10 Jan 2018 14:04

Don't know if you have tried Kijiji but, this is where my wife and I found our property and there were all kinds of properties listed from a few acres to hundreds.
Just a thought

Chuck
# Posted: 11 Jan 2018 17:59

Hi Kamn,

Yes, I'm all over Kijiji and also the MLS databases. This time, using a combination of the MLS files and Google maps, ground level, I have found a property with maples on it. I have inquired from the township about their stance on building a cabin there and I'm waiting for their assessment. I've been waiting two days as it seems they are busy with bigger issues. If they say yes, I'm buying it. Wish me luck!

Kamn
# Posted: 12 Jan 2018 07:22

good luck!

Chuck
# Posted: 14 Jan 2018 08:16

Still working on it. Funny thing is, one guy, East of Ottawa, quoted me $50k for one acre with many maples on it. The property I'm looking at now (South west) is going for under $20k and has one acre with many mature maples. The township came back and told me there is an unopened road allowance (not stated in the MLS ad) and that I cannot build a house/cabin since road is not being serviced. But they said I could build any sized sugar shack. I told the real estate agent this devalues the property considerably and he said the owner will speak to the township. Apparently this owner has a lot of pull in the region Not sure about results though as township rules state that cabins can't be built on one-acre parcels. I might build a deluxe sugar shack with sleeping quarters!

Just
# Posted: 14 Jan 2018 08:52

You best close soon . We started boiling sugar last year on feb 20 . Have you made syrup before ? It becomes a pashon. .

Kamn
# Posted: 14 Jan 2018 09:33

$50k for one acre is insane!
We bought 100acre for $85k with plenty of maples and any other trees, looking to and hoping we buy the 100acre lot next to us
We're between Apsley and Bancroft

Chuck
# Posted: 14 Jan 2018 10:57

I believe the guy asking $50k thinks his urban lot is the same value as a city lot. I often thought of purchasing a huge parcel, like 100 acres, just to have blessed peace in a remote area, but I would not be able to access it as much as I'd want. Then again, as someone keeps telling me, "Buy land. They don't make it anymore"

To Just, yes I have been a hobby producer for the last three years but recently sold because it was far from my house with no hydro/water. It may be the same with this lot but will be closer to my residence. The reason I'm avidly hunting for an acre right now is so that I can partake in the 2018 season.

Just
# Posted: 14 Jan 2018 12:03

We are in south western ont.. Probably 2 weeks earlyer than you . I tap about 100 taps maybe 50 trees. we get about 5 gal. of syrup a year ,I am almost out,the grandkids took my last quart home at christmas. hope its a early year

Good luck with your hunt for land .

Chuck
# Posted: 14 Jan 2018 12:32

Well, if I can't build a small cabin on the lot, I think I can get a reduced price for this lot that will still be great for sugaring. I've never made above two gallons, so we're in the same lane when it comes to production. We've had such a weird winter in Eastern Ontario. Maks you wonder what kind of season 2018 will be. I got two litres left from last season.

Steve_S
# Posted: 14 Jan 2018 12:58

Mmmmm down to my last Litre of Amish Made very dark syrup. There is one Mennonite family in the region that does cook up a small batch of really dark (for cooking) which is the cats meow they generally don't sell it but I manage a couple of litres every year from them as we do other business as well, so...

Wish ya luck finding something that can be productive this spring, it really is the wrong time of year to be looking for land. My advice though seriously, don't settle for something, you'll regret it later if you do. Find the right land and do it without giving yourself regrets and filling your chatter with "should've, could've, would've" when you can avoid it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.