Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Properties / Selling questions
Smawgunner
# Posted: 1 Aug 2018 11:09

Well, unfortunately we might have to sell our property. It's 84 acres of hilly woods, with a cabin that has electricity and no mineral rights. No running water or septic. So my question, what kind of realtor company knows this limited market? We bought from Mossy Oak Properties which only specializes in recreation land...for the most part. The run of the mill realtor doesn't know jack, that's been my experience. Our realtor when we bought was great, just didn't know much about this type of property. Should I go with an agency like Mossy Oak who specializes, or find a reputable local realtor? Thoughts?

DaveBell
# Posted: 1 Aug 2018 15:26

United Country,

Borrego
# Posted: 3 Aug 2018 18:04

Seems like a specialty realtor would be better able to present your property in the best light....

When we bought our remote land, the realtor actually tried to talk us out of buying it....she couldn't understand why anyone would want a piece of worthless land like that...I actually had to force her to sell it to me...

lburners
# Posted: 3 Aug 2018 21:08

Why not give a shot doing it yourself? Craigslist/ Zillow.
Would just require a lawyer which you would need anyhow.
Not speaking from experience just wondering.
I know I bought my property without a realtor on my end. Gave me a little more leverage with purchase price.

DaveBell
# Posted: 4 Aug 2018 00:58 - Edited by: DaveBell

Listing with a local realtor gives you an MLS number which will be seen in all national databases (Zillow, Trulia, Hotpads, Realtor, Landwatch, etc.) and the agent collects a percentage on sale. But not on Mossey or United. When you sign up with a MLS agent, you sign a contract giving them exclusive right to sell for some time frame 6 months? And if you sell without them they can seek penalties. I got out of one by firing the agent for cause, no performance over 60 days except for one buddy low ball attempt. Told the broker and the agent.

Listing with Mossy Oak will limit you to their listing number and database. The same with United Country. These properties may not show up on national databases because the agents (office) has to pay a MLS membership fee and if the office doesn't have the volume, like with country properties, it isn't worth it. No MLS listing and number.

You could list on Zillow as FSBO. For Sale By Owner and get national viability to people searching but agents will avoid showing for many reasons. I do not know if you get an MLS number with FSBO.

So where is your buyer? When I look for a property, I search them all. But non-computer buyers will go to an agent.

There is no one silver bullet solution. You might want to start with all three, Mossey, United, and FSBO on Zillow.
You can always change up later and add an agent to get MLS syndication.

MLS stands for Multiple Listing Service and is an independent company serving the real estate industry.

There are guides on-line on how to contract and settle by FSBO. In you spare time, locate settlement attorneys, and learn about who pays what at settlement. Google HUD-1 form.

DaveBell
# Posted: 4 Aug 2018 01:24

Also 84 acres may limit your buyers because of cost. You may want to look at recent sales over a year or 2. Could you subdivide it into 8, 10 acre lots? Depends on road access.

deercula
# Posted: 4 Aug 2018 08:39 - Edited by: deercula

Why not at lease try selling it yourself? If you fail, then get a realtor. The cash you save could be huge. Bought my 40 acres from Craigslist. Just use an experienced real estate lawyer.

lburners
# Posted: 4 Aug 2018 12:05

Im thinking at a very minimum take a couple pictures and throw it on Craigslist.

VC_fan
# Posted: 5 Aug 2018 20:34

From what I understand, Mossy Oak's reputation in your area (which I think is my area, Vinton County, OH) has gotten nearly as bad as Countrytyme. I strongly recommend a local realtor who has something to lose if he takes advantage of too many buyers or sellers. I've dealt with both local established realtors in McArthur. I really like Ralph at Dodrill (specializes in land) but had an OK experience buying from Booth. I have found buyers on craigslist but turned them over to a professional realtor to make sure the transaction went OK since I live a couple of hours away. Money well spent. My opinions only.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.