Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Vermont Cabin Project
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
sabiggs
# Posted: 3 Oct 2011 16:48

Montanan, we've had the WORST luck with weather this year! We plan a trip up weeks in advance and it seems every weekend we don't go is beautiful and then we show up and it pours. Oh well, it will be all that much sweeter when we're done, right?

As for the roofing, we're still undecided. Definitely going with a green metal roof for the cabin but we may just do shingles for the shed. Depends on a few things (time, money, etc.) We're still deciding on a small single window or not on the upper level but have been advised against any windows at all because people will break in and steal what we've got in there.

Thanks for the interest.

sabiggs
# Posted: 8 Oct 2011 22:38

Plywood is now up on the walls and we're ready for the roof. That will happen in two weeks. Next week, we may be able to get up there to install the steel door on the side and the barn doors on the front.

Today was a record-setting day in New England in terms of heat so we finally caught a break there with weather. We could use it, that's for sure.

We're just about in peak foliage around here too so it's a pretty beautiful weekend to be outdoors.
P1010839.JPG
P1010839.JPG
P1010840.JPG
P1010840.JPG
P1010846.JPG
P1010846.JPG
P1010851.JPG
P1010851.JPG

sabiggs
# Posted: 16 Oct 2011 21:12 - Edited by: sabiggs

My brother was able to sneak away to VT for the weekend and he got a little bit of work done. The doors to the shed were added and some prep work was done for next weekend where we're going to try to get the ridge beam and roof joists up. High aspirations.

Pray for sun. We haven't had a rain-free trip in what seems like months now.

www.halifaxcabin.blogspot.com
Outside View
Outside View
Side View
Side View
Inside Barn Doors
Inside Barn Doors

sabiggs
# Posted: 23 Oct 2011 19:57 - Edited by: sabiggs

Just returned from a beautiful VT weekend. Leaves have turned, but there's still some great fall New England cover.

It was just the two of us, my brother and I, and we went up with a full plate of work to do.

We were able to hang the ridge beam and the rafters, plywood the roof, and finish framing the top side walls.

We camped last night and got up this AM at 6:30 to work. It was 35 degrees. That's a cold start to any day, especially when you slept in a tent. But that's part of the charm. And, soon, I won't need the tent anymore because our/ shed/ cabin will be done. It measure 10x12.

Next trip up will allow us to put in the door, shingle, fascia board and maybe paint.

More pictures and info can be found at
halifaxcabin.blogspot.com
Ridge Beam done
Ridge Beam done
Rafters done
Rafters done
Celebrating the day
Celebrating the day
Inside the loft
Inside the loft

neb
# Posted: 23 Oct 2011 20:02

Awesome cabin and keep us posted.

sabiggs
# Posted: 23 Oct 2011 20:52

a few more pictures from today.
Setting the first rafter
Setting the first rafter
The Overhang
The Overhang
A View from the roof
A View from the roof
From Behind
From Behind

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 23 Oct 2011 21:30

That is really starting to look like a cabin. You're doing a fine job.

sabiggs
# Posted: 28 Oct 2011 18:05 - Edited by: sabiggs

A foot of snow is predicted to hit our getaway spot tomorrow night. That will be on top of the 3 inches that fell last night. Unfortunately for us, we can't get up until next weekend so we'll have to hope for the best with the exposed plywood on the roof. We just couldn't get the roofing finished in time. But we'll up in 8 days to get the cabin/ shed to where she needs to be for future snow. It is supposed to hit 60 this week so it will probably be all melted by the time we get there.

And we still have leaves on the trees here in New England so this snow is predicted to be devastating, knocking down serious tree limbs, power, etc. It's been one hell of a year for weather in New England. We're already about 10 inches above normal rainfall just in the past three months alone (including Hurricane Irene).

Fingers crossed we come out OK.

sabiggs
# Posted: 1 Nov 2011 18:02

Well, I'm in MA and we just got power back after three days without. And we only got about 4 inches of snow. The cabin in VT supposedly got 22 inches. We're going up this weekend to get it as winterized as possible. Lots to do.

In my "free time", I put together a video of our work/ fun/ progress from year 1 owning the land. It interested, there's every picture we took in one year of the land/ cabin/ site, etc...and a couple of randoms. You can check it out at the blog,

sabiggs
# Posted: 6 Nov 2011 19:59

Well, we're ready. For snow that is. We got hit with 24 inches last weekend, and amazingly it was just about all melted. Wow. But, there was lots of damage in central MA that we saw just from the highway. It seemed about every ten feet or so, a big tree had fallen onto the highway. We even saw about 7 six trucked electric crews heading out west yesterday morning.

As for the cabin, we got it pretty air tight. One more trip to get fully sealed and insulated will be needed but we're ready for more snow. The roof is done, soffits have been finished steel door has been installed, and the gables have plywood now. Thank goodness for all that.

We worked hard this weekend, including until about 8:30 last night, 2 hours in the dark with a flashlight finished the plywood over the gables. Then, we slept in the cabin for the first time. Perfect timing because it was a low of 21 degrees. We were probably a tick or two above that in the cabin so we slept with about 7 layers each, and a blanket over our heads (which already had two hats). But, who's complaining--it beats the tent!

What a great and rewarding feeling it is to sleep in something you have built. I CANNOT wait to get back up there and not have to worry about rain, snow, etc. Just enjoy myself a little. The coming trips will be for insulation, the loft, and then a wood stove. I'm excited!
Front side shingles
Front side shingles
Soffits, etc.
Soffits, etc.
Finished for the weekend
Finished for the weekend
Side View-Finished Steel door
Side View-Finished Steel door

ChrisH
# Posted: 8 Nov 2011 18:21

I see in your blog you mention a building permit. Can you talk a bit more about the permitting process for small cabins in Windham County? What about a septic system?

sabiggs
# Posted: 8 Nov 2011 20:53

Hey Chris,

It was very easy and informal for us, but we don't have septic. My permit was obtained from the specific town my land is in. We applied and were mailed the permit a few weeks later. Easy as that. We're "off grid" though, so it was easy. No electric, no septic, no water. It was literally like a 1 page application. Still, we gave surveyed maps, drawn plans, etc. but they said at the time they didn't even need that much info from us...just about 2 lines of our proposed building plan.

I think we paid something like $100 for a building permit, but there were restrictions:
- we can't spend more than 60 days or 2 consecutive weeks at the cabin per year (due to "waste"). Who knows though, right?
- there were important restrictions based on how close we built to the property lines. I want to say something like 100 feet was the minimum distance needed between building and prop. line but that may be inaccurate. That was the big one they were concerned about.
- I think we also needed to verify/ apply for a driveway permit, and then pay for a culvert that the town installed. Part of the process was getting an "official" street number from the town.

I think things are more complicated for septic, as in, you need to present the plan for permit.

I wish I had more information than that. If there's more questions or specifics you need, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to remember as specifically as possible what we went through. All the best to you.

We're in Halifax off of 112. Where are you?

sabiggs
# Posted: 20 Nov 2011 20:25 - Edited by: sabiggs

A day trip up proved to be useful for us this weekend.

We were able to temporarily "fix" the end of the driveway by getting some fill in the trench created from water run-off from Hurricane Irene. Next year, we have big plans for water on the property. That will be our big spring project.

We bought a 1x6 window last year at an outlet place for $60 and we have decided to install it (since it fits perfectly) above the barn doors. We're actually going to cut the barn doors down to make it fit. It may not be traditional, but it will look cool. It's just in a temporary position in the picture.

Also, the loft joists were hung and are waiting plywood for extra stability.

We're heading back up for a day after Thanksgiving to deal with Tyvek paper, the loft, and getting it air tight. I'm pumped!

More pictures and stories at:
"fixed" driveway
"fixed" driveway
Window In- Doors to be cut
Window In- Doors to be cut
Loft joists
Loft joists

sabiggs
# Posted: 25 Nov 2011 21:45 - Edited by: sabiggs

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Chris and I were up at the cabin today to get a bunch of things done.

We took out the barn doors and installed a framed wall. We installed the 1x6 window next. We also finished the loft. It looks great and is bigger than I thought. We put in a few stairs leading to the door, which makes things easier on a slightly sloped hill. We also took forever using a couple of cans of spray foam in an attempt to seal up all the cracks and openings.

The big job was putting up the Tyvek paper and getting it taped...made bigger after we realized we needed more staples and needed to go 40 minutes to get some. But we got it all done, be it in the dark. Man, I can't wait till the days start to get longer.

We had just enough time to enjoy a beer in the driveway and enjoy the stars. A beautiful crisp and cool late fall/ early winter's day. All with about 3 inches of snow on the ground. Not bad for a day.

More info and stories at:
Tyvek half finished
Tyvek half finished
Looking In
Looking In
Loftin' It Up
Loftin' It Up
Finished for the Day
Finished for the Day

sabiggs
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 21:39 - Edited by: sabiggs

Well, winter is finally coming, be it a few weeks late. This reprieve has really saved us with the cabin as we've been able to get loads done without any serious interruption. But it's getting cold. This weekend hit the teens in southern VT.

Chris spent the night last night and got a bunch of insulation done. Another day up there, and the ceilings will be done too and we can move on to the wood stove. Right now, wall insulation is done. Every little thing that gets done is another check off the list to being where we want to be.

I don't get sick of looking at pictures of the progress.
Loft
Loft
Door
Door
Back Wall
Back Wall

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 21:54

It's really coming along!!!

Insulation is good and a wood stove is even better...so not too far away :)

Congrats on your fine progress!

Just
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 22:12

Great little cabin , hope you get to enjoy it often .

sabiggs
# Posted: 10 Jan 2012 18:24 - Edited by: sabiggs

So we're going up this weekend to install the wood stove (it's a little guy) and finish the insulation. I can't wait! Work all day Saturday putting in the stove, find a bar and hopefully watch our Patriots beat the Broncos. Then, spend the night in a toasty warm cabin for the first time.

We had the idea to design a heat shield instead of just buying one. We'll also use cement board as well since we plan to have the stove only 10" from the side and back walls. This will hopefully make it look more visually appealing. Hopefully. Fingers crossed on my art skills here.

I framed out 2x2, poured some concrete and placed 4"x4" slate tiles inside. I probably could have thought it through a little better and taken a little more care, but my two year was screaming about it being too cold in the garage, so I had to kind of expedite the process. Worst case scenario, I'm out $25. Best case, I'll do the side wall too in similar fashion. I'll take the frame and plywood off in a day or two and see where we're at.

"Two Dog" Wood Stove (11x18)
"Two Dog" Wood Stove (11x18)
122_0095.JPG
122_0095.JPG
122_0097.JPG
122_0097.JPG
Finished Product
Finished Product

sabiggs
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 19:56 - Edited by: sabiggs

Hey everyone,

What an amazing weekend!

First it was "pretty soon at least we won't be wet". Then it became, "pretty soon at least we won't be cold." Now, as of today, we're both dry AND warm! Good thing too because this morning it was -1 degrees. And it felt that cold too. I was outside for about 15 minutes at peak coldest and couldn't have lasted much longer.

The wood stove is in though, and working awesome. We installed it Saturday night and tested it out. It never dropped below 50 last night and for the first time in a while, I found myself taking off layers, not adding them. We had a few issues (back smoke from the stove, heat control issues) but this A.M. we fixed it all up and it was working perfectly this afternoon. We got it up to mid-60's this afternoon without too much wood or effort (and that was in 10 degree outside weather).

We also finished the insulation in the cabin in probably what took only about an hour's time. Next, we did a few little things, cleaned up and arranged, spray foamed a few unfinished areas, and even relaxed a little.

It was amazing. The sight of a smoking wood chimney from a wood stove is a pretty sweet sight. It just keeps getting better up. Next up is the ceiling and flooring.

more pics at:
Stove
Stove
Southern Vermont Beauty
Southern Vermont Beauty
Interior View
Interior View
Smoking Chimney
Smoking Chimney

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 20:16

Congratulations on having heat...a very good thing huh? I love your snowy cabin photo. The trees are really beautiful!

Swamphunter
# Posted: 16 Jan 2012 02:49

Man that is really coming along nicely!!

sabiggs
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 20:49

Cookin' up a mean breakfast this past weekend on the propane stove.

We've got about 10" of snow and a whole bunch of trees bowed over throughout the property. This one is particularly neat looking.

I'm going back up this weekend for a momentous overnight. My wife and two year old daughter are coming. It will be our first time ever as a family doing an overnight. Up till now it has just been my brother and I. But now that we have the wood stove in, my wife is much more ready and willing. We have a fun weekend planned of snowshoeing, sledding, making hot cocoa, and looking at some of the clearest stars around.
Cookin' Breakfast Outside on the Propane Stove
Cookin' Breakfast Outside on the Propane Stove

customrunner
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 21:21

Well looks great, and sounds like you have planed the perfect weekend. I cant wait to do the weekend at the cabin with the fam, wont be long now.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 22:07

great pic !!!those pines/firs catch it doing a heavy snow.

AlabamaDan
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 23:39

Awesome little cabin! Like your blog too.

sabiggs
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 08:01

Thanks so much for the kind words everyone. I find great inspiration from all of your posts and threads here. I can't express how many of our ideas have spawned from someone's ideas here. So many great little cabins out there.

I find myself reading our own blog too, which is kind of funny. But, I love looking at the scope of the project from start to current state. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds himself at work just clicking through old pictures of our cabin as I eagerly await the next trip up. I'm so glad we started the blog early as it will stand as the constant reminder of what we have accomplished since day 1. Many thanks.

justincasei812
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 08:30

Sabiggs,

Just read through all of your posts and I can say it is great to read and see the progress that you have made. To sit back and look at what you have done is a great acomplishment to say the least. I wish you and your family many yrs of enjoyment and memories!!

Kevin

hattie
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 13:56

Sabiggs - Your place is coming along great. It looks warm and cozy! I hope you and the family have a wonderful weekend!!

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 17:18

sabiggs,

Our place is very similar to yours.
http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_617_0.html

Are you going to wire your place? We don't have power yet but will add solar in a year or so. I wired my place before I covered the walls.

I put an outlet on each wall, a light under the loft and a 3-way light and outlet in the loft.

I set the outlets and switches on the first floor at 48 1/2" so I could butt the first pass of wall covering flush under the switch boxes.

Nice build!

sabiggs
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 18:47

Hey MikeonBike,

I've seen and enjoyed your project many times. I can remember viewing it before we every built anything at all. Nice work.

I very much appreciate your ideas. Thank you. It actually sounds fairly similar to our plan. We were given 2 solar panels from a friend and come spring/ summer, we plan to get that set up...probably a loft outlet and light and then we were thinking maybe 2 outlets on different walls. Nice idea for setting the outlets and switches. Very convenient. Thanks for the advice. Enjoy.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.