Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Vermont Cabin Project
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 .
sabiggs
# Posted: 16 Jul 2016 20:47

We went up late Friday night and spent a quick 24 hours at the house before coming home. The main goal of this trip was to pick flooring, but of course, we also wanted to check on all the progress.

It seems a few days go by and everything changes up there. The roof has been just about completed, siding is progressing, the chimney has begun, insulation is ongoing as is electrical, the septic is just about done, and we got some pretty great samples (shingle color, floor color, and potential walnut counters).

We did check out carpet and tile, but we were quickly overwhelmed and rendered pretty much useless. It didn't stop us from spending two hours there being indecisive though. We walked out having narrowed down the carpet and picked out a dark gray tile for the mudroom and bathrooms. We still have to pick out shower tile and finalize our carpet choice, but we'll get to that, I guess.

Next up is drywall and it starts Monday! I don't think we have many more nights in the 10x12 cabin. A lot of good times there, but many more to come in the house!
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG
septic
septic
beginning of chimney
beginning of chimney
backside with roof
backside with roof

sabiggs
# Posted: 16 Jul 2016 20:50

...more pictures from previous post (sorry about upside down ones, can't figure that one out, but I dare you to turn your computer sideways to see, haha).
gorgeous piece of walnut (for someone else)
gorgeous piece of walnut (for someone else)
fireplace, in progress
fireplace, in progress
damper and second flue (wood stove in basement)
damper and second flue (wood stove in basement)
hardcore insulation
hardcore insulation

sabiggs
# Posted: 28 Jul 2016 08:43 - Edited by: sabiggs

Drywall is up and the shingles have been finished on the crow's nest. The chimney is coming along nicely too. The septic has been done and we are just a week or two away from floors, doors, and painting. Progress every day.

More pictures at:
http://halifaxcabin.blogspot.com/
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

sabiggs
# Posted: 31 Jul 2016 11:47 - Edited by: sabiggs

Few more from this weekend.

The cabinets have arrived but we need another week or so to finish the drywall taping, sanding, and painting before they can be installed. Flooring is stored in basement but also is waiting for things to be finished prior to install. We've chosen wide-plank pine flooring of varying sizes up to 15" with cherry pegs.

We will be selecting lighting and appliances next week and finalizing our tile choices (think we're going with gray slate for mudroom/entry and the bathrooms).

We have also decided to do the deck now, rather than wait. We've been good about sticking to budget so we think now's the time to do it. The deck will be "L" shaped, starting at the from door and wrapping around the front side with a staircase off the right side (leading down toward the chimney). The deck will be 8' all around and built strong to handle the snow load.

Thanks for looking everyone.

1st floor shower
1st floor shower
crow's nest shingles and chimney progress
crow's nest shingles and chimney progress
from the side
from the side
finished septic
finished septic

sabiggs
# Posted: 6 Aug 2016 20:30 - Edited by: sabiggs

Just got back from the cabin. We picked appliances this weekend, settled on counters, finalized the deck plan, and even bought furniture! It looks like by Labor Day things will be close to done.

Walls inside are being taped, mudded, sanded, and primed this week, then flooring will go down, and the kitchen will be installed.

I may not be back up for two weeks so I'll have to engrain these pictures into my mind. Next time up will be close to done!

I still can't believe it all. I spend about half my time there just staring at the house. Dreams really do come true.
IMG_0958.JPG
IMG_0958.JPG
finished chimney
finished chimney
Siding done, doors in
Siding done, doors in
IMG_0947.JPG
IMG_0947.JPG

Gary O
# Posted: 6 Aug 2016 23:56

Quoting: sabiggs
I still can't believe it all. I spend about half my time there just staring at the house. Dreams really do come true.

Wow

Just Wow

Spectacular thread

sabiggs
# Posted: 14 Aug 2016 08:41 - Edited by: sabiggs

More progress. All the timbers have been stained, the exterior is now 100% complete. Painting inside has begun and the color looks good (I think). Flooring goes down tomorrow and soon window trim will go up.
Kitchen
Kitchen
Unfinished basement
Unfinished basement
Paint going on the walls
Paint going on the walls

Steve_S
# Posted: 14 Aug 2016 09:36

You now... everytime I look at this pics and see that gorgeous post work.... Gosh Dang It ! Could'a, should'a and now how can I borrow some of that feel...... Ya got my gears grindin...

Looks great and thanks for the ongoing updates.

sabiggs
# Posted: 19 Aug 2016 22:00 - Edited by: sabiggs

Progress has slowed a bit as we wait for the painter to catch up and do his thing. Painting an entire house by yourself takes a long time! The mason has begun work on the inside fireplace and the wood floors are ready to go this week. These are wide planks, my friends. Most are roughly 24" and they're really beautiful pieces of local pine. I'm hoping they'll look fantastic-you don't see 24' planks very often anymore. Kitchen still sits and waits for the floors and the deck begins next week. I'll hopefully update soon with some real progress to report.
24" wide plank flooring
24" wide plank flooring
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
snow guards
snow guards

sabiggs
# Posted: 28 Aug 2016 08:43 - Edited by: sabiggs

Progress has really slowed as we were waiting for a bunch of work to finish. Looks like now we're poised for another burst of activity. The interior fireplace is done, with the exception of the reclaimed barn wood which will go on top and serve as the mantle.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

sabiggs
# Posted: 5 Sep 2016 21:26 - Edited by: sabiggs

Lots of progress. Floors are in on first floor, cabinets have been installed, the deck has been built (no hand rails yet); and the propane tank was dropped and trenched to the house. We have a flushable toilet too. Wow! My brother was up this weekend for a big 30th birthday party and was there for 4 days without leaving, so I had to wait anxiously for pictures until he got home. Worth the wait. I've got to go up next weekend-Saturday can't come soon enough!

Counters are set for fabrication on Wednesday. We're going with an antique black granite on counters and local made butcher block for the island. Bathrooms are being tiled this week too. We had a hell of a time picking tile and vanities. We're not very savvy in that way and the tile ladies at the shop definitely had some laughs at our expense. I can't blame them-we were so indecisive and clueless. Hopefully it comes out ok-we definitely went bold!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

sabiggs
# Posted: 5 Sep 2016 21:29

More pictures. I keep looking at them on my phone over and over again. Some stuff just doesn't get old. Life is good.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

sabiggs
# Posted: 6 Sep 2016 21:02

A couple drone pictures from the party this past weekend. Definitely two of my favorites so far.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

abby
# Posted: 8 Sep 2016 11:51

wow and WOW. I love this so much, I am speechless! what a wonderful house and I've enjoyed your thread to the max. can't wait for more!

sabiggs
# Posted: 8 Sep 2016 20:21 - Edited by: sabiggs

Thanks so much. Outside of building my family, this build has been the most satisfying thing I've ever done in my whole life. To have done it all with my brother has made it that much sweeter.

When he and I were young, we used to go to VT around Christmas to visit our uncle. Even then, when we were in our teens, we shared the dream of one day owning our own place in VT. When we bought the 10 acres of raw land, our dreams began to come true. Since then, it has been an adventure that has brought us closer as we have made every decision related to the land and build together.

I'm trying hard to appreciate this phase on a daily basis as I know it won't last forever and soon our dream house will be built. But once it is built, new dreams will emerge, and we purposely are leaving the basement unfinished so we can finish it together. And when that's done, I'm sure a new project will emerge and the cycle will continue. Thanks for the support and encouraging words.

Emerson was right when saying, "Life is a journey, not a destination."
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

abby
# Posted: 9 Sep 2016 14:24

I love your story. I love you did this with your brother. I am feeling happy we got to witness this with you. so I thank you so much for this thread. for allowing us a peek in to your journey. what happiness and fun!! I know when you are finished your dreams truly just begin in treasured memories. I have loved every post.

sabiggs
# Posted: 10 Sep 2016 18:59

So, my brother and I went up and back today. We brought up a set of bunk beds and checked up on progress. I hadn't been up in two weeks and was dying to see the updates in person. It was amazing. Couldn't be happier with things. For me, the highlights were the deck and the bathroom tile. I've already mentioned how indecisive we were about our choices for tile and I think it came out amazing. We have plans to all (my family and kids and my brother) be up for Columbus Day weekend to hopefully kick off the finished product. If we really get our act together, we can have cable ready to watch the Patriots game and see Brady's first game back post bullcrap suspension.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

sabiggs
# Posted: 18 Sep 2016 17:19 - Edited by: sabiggs

Just returned from a day trip up with my family (my wife and two daughters-7 and 4). They had not been up in about 3 weeks and were blown away by the progress. We all agreed it was tough driving away, but the good news is that our next trip up as a family will be Columbus Day and we'll be sleeping in a finished house (hopefully). Things are close now.

Updates for this trip included, finished tile, carpet in bedrooms, wire on the deck and balcony railings, flooring in the first floor bedroom, and more painting. Appliances are also being delivered Wednesday.

This week, interior doors go in, trimwork, granite counters, interior stairs, and floors get finished I believe. My brother is going up Tuesday-Wednesday and installing internet and meeting with the dish people for TV. We'll be bringing the TV up next weekend and installing it.

Crazy how this is coming together. The calendar is marked for Columbus Day. We'll all be up for 3 nights. I cannot wait.
steel cables on the deck/balcony
steel cables on the deck/balcony
upstairs bathroom tilework
upstairs bathroom tilework
carpet
carpet
finished platform on staircase
finished platform on staircase

sabiggs
# Posted: 22 Sep 2016 21:16

Kitchen is in. Stairs are done. Floors are done.

Still pinching myself...can't believe it's real.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

abby
# Posted: 23 Sep 2016 06:34

so gorgeous!!!!!!

sabiggs
# Posted: 25 Sep 2016 12:07

Went up early this morning to drop off all the lights to be installed this week. Radiators have been installed and the railings have been completed. Doors go on this week and trim gets finished. Two weeks and counting until the first big family trip up for three nights.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

sabiggs
# Posted: 25 Sep 2016 12:28 - Edited by: sabiggs

More pics from the last post and my trip today.

More at
www.halifaxcabin.blogspot.com
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Sep 2016 14:28

Very nice, and fast progress! Congrats.

sabiggs
# Posted: 6 Oct 2016 11:44

Well, it's just about done. I can't believe it.

We're heading up tomorrow around 3:00 for a looong weekend. Three nights in the new house. My wife and I threw the guest room mattress downstairs today since we're bringing it up in my truck tomorrow. Just cannot wait to see things and spend some time there with my family. Lots of little things have been happening. The butcher block counter (all locally sourced wood) was made and installed, propane has been turned on so we have heat, lights have gone in, the reclaimed barn mantle has been installed and furniture is being delivered today. 6 years of dreams have quickly become a reality.
Mantle
Mantle
Butcher block counter
Butcher block counter
Upstairs bathroom
Upstairs bathroom

sabiggs
# Posted: 10 Oct 2016 09:16 - Edited by: sabiggs

I'm actually sitting in the living room of our nearly completed house, writing this post. It has been one of the best weekends of my life. Three nights in the new house with my family and my brother.

Our journey began 6 years ago (almost to the day), and this marks the end of a major stage in my life. I've spent lots of time this weekend walking through the house and marveling at the fact that it is all real. Words cannot describe the process and the emotions that come along with it.

In a way I'm sad that the house is done. It's kind of like the day after Christmas when everything you have been looking toward is finally over. But I have to remind myself that this is not the end. Quite the opposite. From here, we pivot and begin to make new memories, always with an eye to the future.

Thank you to all on the site for the years of inspiration with your ideas, projects, and own personal anecdotes. There are very few people who truly "get it" in life, though I'm convinced that anyone who has gone through a process like this has a little bit of life figured out.

“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.”
― Mother Teresa

As always, more stories and pictures at:
IMG_1464.JPG
IMG_1464.JPG
IMG_1463.JPG
IMG_1463.JPG
IMG_1457.JPG
IMG_1457.JPG
IMG_1458.JPG
IMG_1458.JPG

sabiggs
# Posted: 10 Oct 2016 09:19 - Edited by: sabiggs

...more pictures from the previous post.
IMG_1467.JPG
IMG_1467.JPG
IMG_1473.JPG
IMG_1473.JPG
IMG_1494.JPG
IMG_1494.JPG
IMG_1500.JPG
IMG_1500.JPG

abby
# Posted: 10 Oct 2016 14:46

FABULOUS! what a gorgeous place to enjoy! love it all. (just had to add that you might want to get doors or a fireplace screen. amazing how those embers fly around.) thank you for allowing us to follow.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.