Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12 x 16 on a hilltop in Ohio
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 27 . 28 . >>
Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 27 Aug 2011 04:50

You have made great progress... THe grandkids will love it and remember it always.

old buddy
# Posted: 27 Aug 2011 08:56

Thanks for the comments Erin's #1 Mom. Working with my son (Old Buddy) and my friends and relatives on the cabin have really been good therapy in this depressive mood of the country. It has taken my mind off of lots of things going on in our country. I truly feel blessed!

Anyway...we still have a long way to go. After the roof is on and the four windows and door are in, I won't be is such a great hurry...since I won't have to be. My son is in Registered Nursing School and he was on as five-week break between his last year and this year and that's when we got most of the work done. He has been a great help to me. God Bless...Old Old Buddy

hattie
# Posted: 27 Aug 2011 12:24

Your place is coming along great! I just love that rock face on your property.

old buddy
# Posted: 27 Aug 2011 17:24

Got three out of four windows put in this afternoon.

This is looking through the door.

Lookin out the front door.

Gotta have your peacemaker close by in our woods.

Done for the day...again.

old buddy
# Posted: 5 Sep 2011 15:38 - Edited by: old buddy

Working on the overhang.

We went ahead and installed the rear window, and while we were at it we sealed up the windows w/ foam.

The foam swelled out a little more than I thought it would, a razor blade will quickly remedy the excess. lol

Hopefully in the next week we'll get to putting on the roof and front door. Here's a picture of the evergreen steel roof we're using.

Done for the day again, we're getting there.

Bevis
# Posted: 11 Sep 2011 11:15

Coming along nicely.

old buddy
# Posted: 11 Sep 2011 20:08

Thank you....it's coming along. Within the next week I hope to get the door in and the sheet metal roof on. Once the roof is on, the pressure's off a little. At least we don't have to worry about it getting wet inside. We still have to button-up the front and rear of the loft area as well as putting a window in the rear loft. It seems like we've had a tarp on it forever. The cooler weather will help a great deal. Old old Buddy

n
# Posted: 11 Sep 2011 22:12

Awesome job and keep us posted.

Anonymous
# Posted: 12 Sep 2011 13:53

did you put anything between the underside of the floor, and the insulation? Wouldn't that be inviting to rodents?

old buddy
# Posted: 12 Sep 2011 14:51

Not yet, we have been waiting on a littler cooler weather before we crawl under it. We already bought 1/4" plywood to put on the underside to keep out uninvited guests.

Montanan
# Posted: 13 Sep 2011 12:09

Looking good! It's a huge sense of accomplishment to get that roof on. I know we breathed a sigh of relief when we were finally dried in. We have to deal with the underside of the floor, too (we're on piers also.) We have to finish the electrical but then we'll be insulating and sealing...and putting chicken wire and rock around the perimeter, as we have larger critters to contend with (like bears!)

Good luck getting buttoned up!

old buddy
# Posted: 17 Sep 2011 20:02 - Edited by: old buddy

Making some headway on the roof.

We sure are greatful for the help.

A view from where our hunting blind usually is.

Our temporary steps and Boone and Crockett rack to the right of the door if you can see it. lol My brother in law donated it, it was his first kill about 30 years ago.

Got the back framed in getting ready for another window.

old buddy
# Posted: 17 Sep 2011 21:26

Montanan
Montanan.....thanks for your comments. We got a good bit done yesterday. My two best assistants (my son Old Buddy and my cousin) are both afraid of heights so that puts me on the ladder to do the "high paying work" lol. Anyway...we got thwe entire roof on yesterday except for the ridge cap because I need two long laddewrs for that and another assistant that likes heights! Ha!

We didn't get all the screws on but we got plenty to hold it down until another cousin of mine brings his 32 foot ladder, along with my 28 footer to complete everything. We got the framework completed for the rear loft area today and completed cutting and screwing down the loft plywood. It really stiffened it up a bit. I couldn't believe how stout the back wall got once we had the framework for the loft window completed. It's coming..........

We'll keep you updated and we really appreciate the comments. I like the photo my son took looking down on the cabin from our high-wall. Hunting season is coming. Old Old Buddy.

neb
# Posted: 17 Sep 2011 22:10

Nice place for a cabin and looks like you got a very good start.

brokeneck
# Posted: 19 Sep 2011 21:32

Work parties are the best -- when we building our original cottage my father in law - me and my 3 sons 10 7 and 5 would go up almost every weekend -- spent a lot of time fishing but also spent a lot building -- now that they are in their twenties they are self-sufficent can do youg men -- keep up the good work both on the cabin and on the grand-kids --

old buddy
# Posted: 19 Sep 2011 22:24

brokeneck
Yea .....I hear you. I was hoping the tarp would no longer be needed after this week-end, but we still need it to cover the small area where the ridge-cap goes.

Like I said before, my son has been instrumental in us getting as far as we have, but two of my best friends and my 1st cousin, have sure helped out with their assistance as well. We're real close to being buttoned-up for the winter. I won't know what to do when I won't have to worry about the insides getting soaked. In any event, it sure has been good therapy.

I just got two "garage-sale" Coleman lanterns going tonight after putting new mantles on them and adding fresh fuel. I just love that "shhhhhhhhhhh" sound when you crack the valve open.
We'll talk at you later. Old Old Buddy

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Sep 2011 22:35

Congratulations Old Old Buddy. Your place is coming along very nicely...exciting isn't it? Your roof looks great and hunting should be a lot of fun with a wonderful place like this to "escape" to!

old buddy
# Posted: 20 Sep 2011 00:02 - Edited by: old buddy

trollbridge
Thanks for your comments! I had looked at the photos of your place a couple months ago and it is beautiful! Believe me.....ours won't have nearly the creature comforts that yours will. You can only get to ours about from May through November or early December. It is 4/10 mile off the asphalt road and climbs over 600 feet in elevation in that distance. And I'm talking a dirt road made by a dozer!

The photo of your leg... looks (is the right word.....bad?). I hope that it is healed up 100%. It's nice to see that there are others out there who photograph their injuries. My son (Old Buddy) always made fun of me for photographing a muskie lure hanging out of my finger and my right ring finger after having 11 sutures from having it cut when a hood slammed shut on it. After retiring from the Ohio State Highway Patrol with 25 years.....I've seen worse.

Again...thanks for your comments. Old Old Buddy

trollbridge
# Posted: 20 Sep 2011 10:19

Yikes! We should all post pics in a "injuries thread". I would bet there has been quite a few injuries or mishaps out there.I also needed stitches to reattach part of my thumb which I sliced through with a utility knife.

I don't know about those creature comforts. We are off grid so we use battery/generator power, water from the creek(except for drinking), and our outhouse. The TV is the one comfort I will not do without(my wife hates it). I have found that at the end of working all day on the cabin there is something about watching a movie. It takes all the other cabin details out of my head before going to bed. We don't have tv reception so the kids play video games on it too occasionally.

Will you put heat in your cabin? Can still be chilly in May and Nov/Dec in Ohio right?

old buddy
# Posted: 20 Sep 2011 11:04

trollbridge
Yes...it definitely gets cold during that time. The main reason we wanted a cabin was for staying in overnight during hunting season so we wouldn't have to get up at 0430 at our home and then drive 4/10 miles through the woods alerting all the game that "we're here!" As we spent time on the property, it became apparent that my 7 year old grand-daughter and two grand-sons (4 & 2) would really enjoy staying there. I already purchased a small wood-stove for heat. I hope to get it in this year but there first comes the insulation, etc. I would at least like to get the ceiling done. I've been getting a lot of contradictory info about what piping is needed (Black, stainless double-wall,etc) to make the cabin safe but I also don't want to have to spend a fortune on it. Safety is paramount, however.

I don't expect our cabin to house many females for overnight excursions so there won't be a need for too many "fancy things."
We also will be powering with the generator, as seen in many photos. We'll be carrying our drinking water and collecting "other" water. Coleman Lanterns and hurricane lamps will provide the lighting. As far as the lavoratory is concerned.....my wife and daughter get real upset when I mention the word "slop jar."lol
We're still discussing it but this year will be a five gallon bucket with a toilet seat snapped on (of course with a vinyl throw-away liner) and a bucket of lime! I told you it's for men and boys primarily.

Old Old Buddy

trollbridge
# Posted: 20 Sep 2011 11:20

We installed our wood stove last sept. and did not have insulation started at all and the place still heated up-just took longer. The pipes were way more expensive than I thought it would be. We ended up with single wall inside, then right before the roof, double wall stainless cause we didn't want to cut a roof rafter. After that the cathedral ceiling box and on to more stainless the whole way up. The benefit of doing the stainless inside the way we did was cleaning will be super easy. the downside of all the stainless is we were in the corner with a steep roof so lots of $$$$ out there on top the roof to get above the peak. Single wall inside makes it tricky to meet code clearances also. Good luck with yours.

old buddy
# Posted: 20 Sep 2011 19:18

We got a little more done today.

Looking out the back loft window.

Looking through the front top window.

A big runoff ravine that runs the length of one side of the property.

old buddy
# Posted: 21 Sep 2011 17:39

Got the front buttoned up as well as the back, but I only got one pic.

mgc
# Posted: 21 Sep 2011 17:59

Fantastic.

old buddy
# Posted: 23 Sep 2011 08:46

With any luck at all...we'll get the ridge cap screwed into place this week-end...rain permitting. The next outside job will be setting the posts (logs) for the corners of the front porch. We already have the tin so it should go fairly quick. Old Old Buddy

old buddy
# Posted: 24 Sep 2011 12:46

Finally................! the roof cap is on! Still got a log ways to go but my cousin and I got it on and screwed down. Done with the tarp!
Old Old Buddy

old buddy
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 20:11

Well.........now that the roof is on and it's buttoned up, the rains have begun. It may be quite some time before we get back up the hill. I had a hard enough time getting up the hill last Saturday when we put the ridge cap on, since it had rained two days before that. Oh well..... at least she's staying dry. I'm hoping for this week-end but the forecast doesn't look too good.

I'm hoping my daughter, her husband and two children come in from Columbus, because the kids (7and 4) want to see grandpa's cabin! If nothing else I'd like to have a big fire in the evening and roast weiners and marshmallows. My other grandson is only two but he's been up to the cabin 2-3 times now since he lives local. I just want all three of them to have great memories of the cabin. We'll see..........Old Old Buddy

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 21:40

Oh,I'm sure they will have very fond memories of going to Grandpa's cabin!!!! Our 2 year old granddaughter loves our cabin! When she sees pictures she says "cabin!!!!!" and gets very excited! So cute :)

old buddy
# Posted: 12 Oct 2011 19:14 - Edited by: old buddy

The rain is keeping us out, but we're getting done what we can while we can. We got the overhang started in these photos and ended up getting about half of it done.

You got make time to relax with a fire.

And you gotta eat. lol Nothing like hotdogs over a fire.

old buddy
# Posted: 13 Oct 2011 13:30 - Edited by: old buddy

We did have our weinee roast last Saturday as well as marshmallows. The kids had a great time wearing out the hinge on grandpa's cabin door! They had a really good time until it got dark!
With all the trees overhead...dark is.....dark. Even with two coleman lanterns and a nice fire....they all were getting a little afraid. I didn't want to traumatize them for the future so we loaded up and left the hill at about 8:45 PM. The good news is they all want to go back to the cabin when they come home next. I'll have to schedule more daylight hours for the next trip! We really had a good time staring into that campfire. Old Old Buddy

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 27 . 28 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.