- Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 12 x 16 on a hilltop in Ohio
<< 1 ... 27 . 28 .
old old buddy
# Posted: 1 Dec 2015 21:08

Yes TURKEYHUNTER...we can use x-bow....and will. OOB

original old buddy
# Posted: 2 Dec 2015 12:25

Yeah Turkeyhunter, we'll use crossbows if OOB doesnt drop mine on its scope again like he did several years back. I still wonder if it was intentional...

old old buddy
# Posted: 11 Dec 2015 07:28

Going on the hill this morning to check on the feeder and camera to see if we have had any assortment of animals to the feeder...maybe put some insulation up while we're there. We can only stay a couple hours because Tristin (Little Buddy) has a Christmas Program at school at 1:00pm and don't want to miss that. I bought 200 pound of "apple flavored" whole kernel corn at Walmart and anxious to give it a try. Maybe we'll ring the dinner bell while we're there and see what turns up!

Old Old Buddy

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Dec 2015 18:55

Quoting: old old buddy
I bought 200 pound of "apple flavored" whole kernel corn at Walmart and anxious to give it a try. Maybe we'll ring the dinner bell while we're there and see what turns up!

I bet those critters will enjoy the apple flavored corn...hope you guys have a good visit up on the hill!!!!

and Enjoy little buddy's Christmas program they grow up so fast!!!

old old buddy
# Posted: 12 Dec 2015 09:10

TURKEYHUNTER...we got a little surprise when we arrived at the feeder. We had it sitting on a shelf that was only about six feet wide and Danged if them rascals didn't decide to get rambunctious and somehow, knocked that thing over the embankment about fifty feet further down the hill with one of the metal legs laying about thirty feet away from the feeder in an opposite direction. It took me five minutes to find it! The feeder still had about 50 pound of corn left in it. I wrestled that two legged thing up the hill and we made repairs on the shelf. It's operational once again and has 200 pounds of corn in it. We secured the legs "better" this time.

Old Buddy was upset because his camera apparently had the wrong chip in it and we got "0" pictures. He bought a HI-DEF chip and thinks that why it didn't work. I told him to just put a regular Sandisk in it with high capacity. We'll see! Anyway, the deer had that whole hillside around the feeder tore up from their hoof-prints running up and down that steep hill. Hopefully that's a good sign.

By the time we made the repairs, filled the feeder and sat in the blind for about thirty minutes, it was time to get going to Little Buddy's Christmas Program. More later...

Old Old Buddy

old old buddy
# Posted: 17 Dec 2015 23:20

We made it up to the cabin but spent the next hour hauling materials up to blind to put in our "sliding plexi-glass " 1/4" thick windows. We used a table saw and made grooves in the edges of two 2X4's about 3/4" deep. We put the first horizontal 2X4 below the opening, put the two spieces of plexi-glass in the groove approximately 5/8" wide and overlapped the panes about two inches. Then we slid the top 2X4 down over the two panes and screwed both 2X4's into the wall. It worked slicker than snot on a doorknob!

Old Buddy will post a few pictures of the progress. After we were complete, we fired up the propane heater and Little Buddy, Old Buddy and I were "right snug!" We plan to have it insulated before the weekend is over....

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 19 Dec 2015 02:23

old old buddy
It sounds rather like an ideal clubhouse for boys of all ages! How nice that you, your son and grandson have these wonderful times together!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Dec 2015 08:22

Quoting: old old buddy
Then we slid the top 2X4 down over the two panes and screwed both 2X4's into the wall. It worked slicker than snot on a doorknob!

lol....glad the windows worked out good in the deer stand!!

Looking forward to pic's of the finished product and some deer pic's...

original old buddy
# Posted: 21 Dec 2015 02:09

Got the windows in.
bigredwindow
bigredwindow

original old buddy
# Posted: 21 Dec 2015 06:13

Always likes to help his Pap. One thing we did find out. Cant get the Cuddeback deer camera to work. It was used one season and now it wont snap pics. So, back to the drawing board
bigredhelper
bigredhelper

old old buddy
# Posted: 2 Jan 2016 21:56

Old Buddy and I took my friend up to the cabin and the three of us replaced the entire six sections of 6" single wall chimney pipe. It was over four years old and rotted out where the 90 degree elbow runs horizontally into the cabin. Basically...the entire pipe was pretty bad, thus, we changed everything.

After completing the new installation, we Christened it by fire. It felt good sitting in the warm cabin...chewing the fat!

I put four bags of corn in the feeder and should be good to go for about 3-4 weeks. We also got a little bit of shooting in. God....I miss being up there...

Old Old Buddy

neb
# Posted: 2 Jan 2016 22:53

Looks like fun!

original old buddy
# Posted: 6 Jun 2017 23:08

Wow, I can't believe it has been a year and a half since I posted on here. Where does the time go? Makes me sad a little. My boy who was months old when we started our cabin adventure is now 8 years old. Sadly, the cabin lost some of it's allure when my parents moved out to the country. Although old old buddy and I have vowed to start going up more often, it has almost become an imposition to go. The road has really bad ruts and is almost impossible for our four wheel drive trucks in anything but dry weather. We can still make it by four wheeler, but the roads need cleaned up by a dozer again.
Old Old Buddy, Big Red, and I did go out for deer season last year. I took my 1874 Sharps...we hunted out of the blind...I do have to say it sure was nice hunting out of a heated, dry, out of the wind area. We didn't see much due to the unseasonably warm Temps. We still had a great time.
We are talking about building a covered porch on the left side with a shooting bench. Might have some new pics coming soon, who knows? I hope you are all doing well

Gary O
# Posted: 7 Jun 2017 06:30

Quoting: original old buddy
Wow, I can't believe it has been a year and a half since I posted on here

You, me and Turkeyhunter too.....

This retirement life gits busy

Cabingirl
# Posted: 22 Jul 2017 13:23

It doesn't seem right not seeing your pictures on this site, but I completely understand. Life does get in the way.

old old buddy
# Posted: 26 Dec 2017 09:42

This is Old Old Buddy using my daughter's phone. I was on the hill two weeks ago just to check things out. It was cold and Igor a fire going quickly. It sure felt good sitting in there watching the fire...reminiscing....about the way it use to be. I sure do miss the times up there with the kids....really miss them.....I could only stay a short time. I hope you are all well. Have a Happy New Year in 2018!

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 1 Jan 2018 04:25

Hi! Glad to see you again!
How are you?
Happy New Year!!!
Good luck

RandZsocial
# Posted: 3 Jul 2019 15:55

Everything in your post is very beautiful, but how much more beautiful it would be if the hunt was removed in the scene you described.

manny
# Posted: 4 Jul 2019 14:16

The hunt was the most beautiful part of the post.

old buddy
# Posted: 15 Nov 2019 17:50

Boy the time sure does go by fast...I miss being on here posting. Lots of new builds on here. We finally got our cabin and hunting blind where we wanted it and then all of that heavy rain last July ended up washing out our entrance road...we had several big slips on our property.

The only way we'll be able to fix it is by getting a pretty decent sized bulldozer and get to work moving dirt. Makes me sad because im finally on steady daylights so that Old Old Buddy and my son could go up more frequently to stay.

I hope you all have been well

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 19 Nov 2019 07:41

I'm sure everything will be okay

Ol Slim
# Posted: 17 Sep 2020 12:38

Super cool thread ! Thanks for documenting so well ! I gathered lots of inspiration from this thread.

old buddy
# Posted: 7 Oct 2021 19:01

Original Old Buddy here...been along time since we've been on here. A lot of new cabins with great pics. We lost out road going to our cabin over two years ago. We have some plans in the works that may allow us to get back up there. Ill try to post something in the next month. I really, really miss the place. I hope you all have been well

a_pyrkin
# Posted: 8 Oct 2021 03:13

Quoting: old buddy
We lost out road going to our cabin over two years ago.

What happened?

old buddy
# Posted: 25 Dec 2022 15:25

We lost the road due to heavy rainfall in July of 2019, it just washed out I believe. Sadly we havent been up there to stay overnight in three years. As luck would have it we may have found a way to get back up there again. Ill give a follow uo pretty soon. I have missed the cabin as well as visiting here. Old Buddy

idnative1948
# Posted: 22 Feb 2023 22:43

Nice to see some other SMALL cabin folk. Ours will be 14X16 once we pull our little travel trailer from under the snow roof and wall it in.

<< 1 ... 27 . 28 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.