Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Northern wisconsin cabin
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 33 . 34 . >>
trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Aug 2011 23:45 - Edited by: trollbridge

Well,we had no idea what we would feel like working on this weekend. What we need to do is finish the outside but it rained all day Saturday so that was not an option. Instead we put up vapor barrier which isn't too thrilling but it did mean we could put up some of our finished wall treatment and see if we like it. We both liked what we saw so we kept going till pretty much we ran out of all the wood we had left. We will have to haul more up soon cause having the walls somewhat finished makes me feel like we are finally getting somewhere! Sunday was a beautiful day and we were able to mow and do some more clearing of brush. Why is it always so nice outside when we have to head back home?!?
100_7010.JPG
100_7010.JPG

trollbridge
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 00:06

Just got home from the hospital where I visited our grandson. Tonight he is doing fantastic! He has breastfed a couple times and done great after aspirating during a swallow test yesterday. We are all guarded but we are hoping by the end of the week he will be able to come home. BTW...if anybody is looking for a great charity- may I suggest donating to the Ronald McDonald House. This has been a life saver for our son and daughter in law and I am so impressed with how much they provide to families that are away from home.

Montanan
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 00:56

So glad that your grandson is doing well and eating. That's great news! And yes- Ronald McDonald House is fabulous.

Your interior walls look great!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 05:48

Quoting: Montanan
So glad that your grandson is doing well and eating. That's great news! And yes- Ronald McDonald House is fabulous.

x 2....
Glad the little fellow is doing better. That is great news. I will keep your family in my prayers.

trollbridge
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 22:41

Great news...If everything continues to go well during the night tonight then our grandson gets to come home tomorrow!!!! We are somewhat guarded but mostly extremely excited!!!!! It has been quite a roller-coaster ride. Thank you for the prayers:)

hattie
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 23:03

WOO HOO trollbridge! What fabulous news. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I can feel your excitement in your post. Ronald McDonald House is great!! So many families benefit from them!!

Those interior walls look very inviting!! Great work!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Aug 2011 12:38

Drs. are getting the discharge papers ready as I post...YIPEEEEEE!
Thank you again for keeping our family in your prayers.

hattie
# Posted: 11 Aug 2011 12:43

Fabulous News trollbridge.....Give the little guy extra hugs from all your friends here.

trollbridge
# Posted: 12 Aug 2011 11:18

Thanks Hattie. I just realized you had surgery yourself just a couple weeks ago. How is your recovery going? Our daughter had the same size tumor removed from her ovary in 2006 at age 20. Thankfully hers was benign also. What were your symptoms before they removed it? So weird how something so large can be inside you isn't it? It just grows so gradually though.

hattie
# Posted: 12 Aug 2011 12:17

Hi trollbridge....Wow, 20 is pretty young to have something like that. It's not so bad when you're old like me and don't need any of those parts anymore. *LOL*

I'm doing great. Hubby and I have started going for walks again with our new puppy, Molly and yesterday I even managed to pick some raspberries and strawberries from our patch out back. *S*

My symptoms were heartburn, weight gain, back pain, pain near my gallbladder and trouble breathing when I laid down at night; but all that's gone now (including 20 lbs). I should have seen the doctor much earlier, but I don't take kindly to doctors. I figured it was my gallbladder and was trying to fix it myself with diet. *S*

trollbridge
# Posted: 12 Aug 2011 12:32

Glad you are getting around. My daughter had weight gain and a feeling of fullness and when she walked-especially downhill-she had pain on that side.Of course it was a huge relief to find out it was not cancer. We were told the younger the patient the more likely to be cancerous. She is a music teacher now and a young girl(13)from her school just died a few months ago from the same thing. Sad. Drs. had to take 1 ovary and Fallopian tube but she can manage without them since she still has the other. Hope your recovery continues to go well...enjoy your down time best you can:)

trollbridge
# Posted: 12 Aug 2011 21:41

After one night home our 2 week old grandson is back in the hospital. My heart breaks for his parents. He has an infection which can hopefully be treated with a switch of antibiotics. Poor little guy. Please keep him in your prayers.

hattie
# Posted: 12 Aug 2011 21:45

:-( We're praying for him.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 Aug 2011 22:08

Quoting: hattie
:-( We're praying for him.

x 2...........prayer's sent

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Aug 2011 20:33

After growing cultures and seeing what kind of antibiotics work best it has been determined that our grandson will have to stay in the hospital until the end of the week so that the drs. can continue to give antibiotics intravenously. He is too young to be able to take any orally. I feel like they are being robbed of that precious time at home with their newborn to bond and be a family and yet so thankful that he has excellent doctors looking over him at the hospital. Just sucks, but on the other hand so blessed.

Whenever we are not up north for a weekend we usually try to do something at home that will help us or speed up something at the cabin. Today we cut the "groove" in our interior wall boards and played around with stain colors. We want a warm stain but not too dark of a stain. The groove will be chinked to look like logs. Hopefully it all comes together in reality the way it does in our heads:) We loaded it all into the trailer so it is ready to go when we are. Should install way faster than last time did since we only have to cut to length now.

Montanan
# Posted: 16 Aug 2011 23:41

So sorry that your grandson is back in the hospital. Our son was very sick when he was born and spent 3 weeks in the NICU before he came home. It was horrible and extremely stressful but I can assure you that the bonding and family time will come and the early trauma will quickly become a distant memory. Our son is a happy and healthy 7 year old now. =)

What a great idea to do chinking on the interior walls! We're doing T&G on the interior and the pieces come grooved already...might have to steal your idea with the chinking.

hattie
# Posted: 17 Aug 2011 00:39

Please keep us posted on your precious grandson.

Can't wait to see the interior wall boards when you get them done.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 17 Aug 2011 20:38

trollbridge,
just catching up on everyone, sorry the wee one has had a step backward. but sounds like the docs are on top of things as is the family. prayers will go out tonight!

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Aug 2011 12:01

It looks (keep your fingers crossed) like tomorrow will be the day that our litttle grandson will get to come home again. We are going to visit him tonight and I can't wait! Thank you for all of your prayers...Yall are wonderful.

I am dying to get to the cabin and we are going this weekend. Yeah! Hope the weather is nice...kinda gettin tired of rain.

hattie
# Posted: 18 Aug 2011 12:24

trollbridge - fingers crossed and lots of prayers going your way.

hmmmm....you've got rain? Send some our way. It's dry as a bone out here and now all the fire bans are on.

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Aug 2011 12:35

On the rain...believe me, if I could... We just had another LOOOONNNGGG rain the other night, now I have to go mow the jungle again!

On the prayers...You are so sweet. Thank you. Hope you are doing well...not pushing too hard.

Stuart Feaver
# Posted: 18 Aug 2011 20:32

Tollbridge, the porch you have on your entryway to your big cabin is what Im thinking of doing, thats a nice big place you have there. Looks good.

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Aug 2011 23:40

It is sooo nice to have a dry place to leave stuff. If it is raining we sometimes put our portable generator on the porch and our coolers-especially when it is chilly out, then we can even leave the lid ajar with little ice. Then of course there is the muddy shoes and mostly tools-so many tools needed for building.
I think our cabin looks larger than it really is because of the porches but we do like the size of our cabin. By code we needed to build 800sq.ft. but went with 924 cause it worked better for us. We have a large family(9 kids) and now grandchildren being added so the space functions well.

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Aug 2011 12:22

Here is what we did all weekend- hung more wood, stained and chinked.
I feel a little guilty cause the weather was mostly beautiful and we should have been working outside but we really wanted to see how this would end up looking. Lots of trial and error...mostly error...but we are happy with the end result.
100_7043.JPG
100_7043.JPG

Montanan
# Posted: 22 Aug 2011 14:57

That looks GREAT!!! Nice work.

hattie
# Posted: 22 Aug 2011 18:26

That looks GREAT!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Aug 2011 23:39

I get to babysit my grandson tomorrow...yipee...i am so excited!!!!!
He is doing really well since being back at home!

naturelover66
# Posted: 25 Aug 2011 08:27

SO happy for you and your family !!!

hattie
# Posted: 25 Aug 2011 13:23

Quoting: trollbridge
I get to babysit my grandson tomorrow...yipee...i am so excited!!!!! He is doing really well since being back at home!

WOO HOO!!!! Congratulations trollbridge. FABULOUS NEWS!!! *S*

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Aug 2011 10:12

Well another weekend has come and gone and progress was made by my husband who went up alone to work. He was putting up battens and trim and priming and painting and during the evening hours worked inside in the loft hanging drywall on the kneewall and putting up more vapor barrier. All needs to get done, but not too thrilling of work and pictures would be a bore.

***FLASHBACK***With labor day weekend coming I thought I would post pictures of where we were 4 years ago on that very weekend.

We built our little cabin in 2 stages of 8x12 each so that we would have quick shelter to stay in. At the time we had our 4 youngest kids with us most weekends we worked so plenty of beds were needed. The 1st half went up in June and Labor day weekend we started adding the 2nd half.
000_0175.JPG
000_0175.JPG
100_0766.JPG
100_0766.JPG
100_2084.JPG
100_2084.JPG

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 33 . 34 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.