Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Northern wisconsin cabin
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 33 . 34 . >>
Montanan
# Posted: 26 Sep 2012 16:59

Long time, no "see"...

Sounds like things are good with you. Your shed is coming together and congrats on the flooring. AWESOME score!

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 26 Sep 2012 18:23

OMG...you have the same woodstove as we do!! Menards!! The place looks nice...I love the way it is nestled into the woods...I really like that you have a mix of tree varities as well, the fall color must be fantastic!?
Cabin_9712_002.jpg
Cabin_9712_002.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Sep 2012 22:57

Actually ours is not from Menards...we can't give them all our $$$$ after all!! We bought ours on clearance at Fleet farm. What brand is yours? I like your legs better than ours...

BUT...we must both have awesome taste in shingles!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ours are the weatherwood architectural from Menards also!!! High five Dave! woohoo! Thanks for the tip about laying them in the sun to ease cutting. Did you have a wood trim at each corner to just butt them up against? Did you have to caulk the seam then or no?

Dillio, the wood floor we got looks very similar in stain to yours. I really like that!

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Sep 2012 21:40

I snapped a couple pictures of the wood floor-it is currently laying in the garage.
sept_292012_001.jpg
sept_292012_001.jpg
sept_292012_002.jpg
sept_292012_002.jpg

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 7 Oct 2012 16:51

We can't let your post get away. How else are we going to know what goes on '' up north''. I saw you responce to the snow post. I was snowing over in Aitkin Co. yesterday. Not acumulating, but the NW corner of Mn got 3''. Claudia and I had a quiet weekend there compared to the family reunion last weekend.
How's baby?

Owen

old buddy
# Posted: 7 Oct 2012 21:30

We haven't heard from the Trolls lately. Are you all done and just sitting around on your duffs?

Your flooring is beautiful! Any plans to get it put in any time soon?

P.S. Old Buddy starts his 1st day tomorrow as a Registered Nurse.....working for a paycheck. Thanks for all your Positive and very inspirational comments on his progression over the past 15-16 months. Thank God it's over. We are really proud of him to start back to school at 34 for a full three years!

Have a great fall and "Keep your powder dry."

Old Old Buddy

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Oct 2012 22:31 - Edited by: trollbridge

Hi Owen and OOB,
Glad you had a quiet weekend Owen and maybe we aren't quite ready for the white stuff to stick around yet but it sure looked pretty in pictures from northern Minnesota!

Thank you for asking about the baby...he or she is moving around as I type...been very active and can give a pretty good punch! I can't believe how quickly the weeks are passing...only 8 weeks left until my due date! Scary!

Love the picture on the potty chair...my youngest always would say "Don't see me!" when she was sitting there-she always wanted her privacy. lol.

Well OOB, I have done more sitting around on my duff than I care to admit but Mr. Troll sure has been busy!!! Look at all he managed to get done this weekend up north all by himself:
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Oct 2012 22:36

and...
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg
Oct._57_2012_wood_.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Oct 2012 22:48 - Edited by: trollbridge

He not only got the wood floor done but he also put the beadboard on the wall at the base of the steps and into the mudroom. It also goes behind the cabinet. I get to paint it. Then we will put some sort of trim piece to cap it off. Also need to get those walls painted soon. Luckily it was sunny out today so he was able to get the tin roof on his shed too. Always seems like he gets so much done when he goes up by himself...I guess he isn't distracted. I can't wait to go up next weekend and see it all in person. I am going to bring a bunch of cleaning supplies because the place really needs a dusting and vacuuming and the windows need cleaning bad! And I am looking forward to getting an actual table in the dining room so the spool can be rolled out the door for good!! We decided it would be best to stop the wood floor at the kitchen and put a vinyl sheet floor in the kitchen and on into the mudroom. That way we will not have to worry about snowy, wet boots or leaking coolers. I don't want to be a slave to the floors. Mr. Troll also was able to get the floor patch down into the doorway of the mudroom so once we buy a piece of vinyl we can get it installed.

Hope Old Buddy settles into his new job nicely...it will be nice to collect a paycheck I'm sure! I also hope the new grandbaby is healthy and growing each day like a little weed and it has been fun to watch the progression on your bunkroom addition...it looks great and sounds like you could use a rest!

Montanan
# Posted: 8 Oct 2012 12:03

Wow- those floors look stunning!! And yes- the Mr. always seems to get more work done at our place when he's there alone, too. But there aren't too many times that I don't tag along.

Bevis
# Posted: 8 Oct 2012 16:13

Troll...I have 8 weeks before I come to deliver the baby at your cabin...Right

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 Oct 2012 16:36

The cabin??????!!!! Oh wow Bevis

I was gonna say something tells me I won't be there that close to my due date...at my last appointment I did talk to my doctor and asked him if he had any vacations planned for around that time. He said he would be around.... which is very good-he delivered all 9 of our children and 2 of our grandchildren. He is awesome. Anyways I told him that with all the stress of the holidays, I may just have to be the one to leave town, to hideaway, but that he would have to come with me. He laughed and agreed to the plan if it comes to that!

So maybe, just maybe, going away to the cabin isn't such a bad idea???? Bring your EMT bag and you can assist as needed. Don't forget your smelling salts for Mr. Troll...he may need those

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 10 Oct 2012 23:01

TB...Jason and I will be in Moquah Oct. 19th-22nd....maybe we should meet at the plywood palace for a drink (you can have a ginger ale)??? OR??? Just sayin'

Bevis
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 12:46

Quoting: trollbridge
you can assist as needed. Don't forget your smelling salts for Mr. Troll...he may need those

Sweet... I'm in.

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 15:40

Quoting: Sustainusfarm
TB...Jason and I will be in Moquah Oct. 19th-22nd....maybe we should meet at the plywood palace for a drink (you can have a ginger ale)???

OHHHH....Too bad you aren't going this weekend-we will be at our place! Next weekend I am not sure about yet.....if my niece(the one with Leukemia) has a birthday party then we will not be able to go north. If she doesn't and nothing else is going on then there is a good chance we could meet you! I'll run it past "George". LOL!
Quoting: Bevis
Sweet... I'm in.

Bevis............................about what Lisa and I were talking about the other night....................I AM ON CLOUD 9 FOR YOU!!!!!!!!

Bevis
# Posted: 11 Oct 2012 22:09

I AM ON CLOUD 9 FOR YOU!!!!!!!!

Thanks...

KSalzwedel
# Posted: 18 Oct 2012 20:31

trollbridge
How did you do your walls and chinking? I LOVE that look and we want to do something with our walls beside sheetrock. Is it expensive? The outside of the cabin isn't log, but the inside can look like it is! That would be FABULOUS.

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Oct 2012 16:28 - Edited by: trollbridge

Thanks for the compliment-we really are happy with the way the walls turned out too. Like you, our outside is not log but we wanted that cozy, northern cabin look on the inside. It was worth the additional work.

What we did was bought roughsawn lumber from a guy who had his own sawmill. It was 35 cents a foot and the boards were either 6" wide or 8" wide. All total we spent 500.00 dollars but we used it for flooring on our porches as well as the walls and the bunk-bed.

Then we either ran it through the table saw to cut the recessed groove on one side lengthwise or we used a separate strip of wood between the boards. Those strips were just the same boards cut down so they are rough too. We nailed them to the studs after we put up a vapor barrier starting at the floor and worked our way up staggering random 8" and 6" boards.

When they were up we then mixed up stain and mineral spirits in a squirt bottle and sprayed it on the walls until we got the color saturation we wanted. After that I painted the skinny strips with paint. At first we tried adding a little "sanded" paint with the regular paint so that it would look textured-more like chinking but then we discovered it was unnecessary because the boards we cut or added in between were rough enough-so as the paint dried it looked textured like grout or chinking would.

In the beginning it was kinda slow and tedious work trying to paint so carefully but then I realized that it actually looks better the faster I went. If it were really chinked it would kinda be wavy too. By the end I could fly through a room in no time!

I hope this explanation makes sense. If you have more questions feel free to ask! Have you started to build your cabin yet? I would love to see pictures- I see you are in beautiful Alaska! Oh...and welcome to the forum

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Oct 2012 16:57

Here are some pictures from the weekend. We got some more stuff on the walls and bedroom curtains I made hung. Mr. Troll made new chair bases for the barrel chairs-the others were pretty wobbly but that's okay because that is how we scored the chairs for free!!! They swivel and are so cushy comfortable!!
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Oct 2012 17:01

and a few more...as you can see we still need our kitchen counter top installed and the new bases for those chairs painted.
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg
Oct._13142012up_n.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Oct 2012 21:35

We took advantage of the opportunity to head to the cabin and get mainly flooring and painting and a few random other things done. Here are a few more pics to add...
fabric in cabinet
fabric in cabinet
flooring done in kitchen/landing and mudroom
flooring done in kitchen/landing and mudroom
Oct._2021_2012up_.jpg
Oct._2021_2012up_.jpg
Oct._2021_2012up_.jpg
Oct._2021_2012up_.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Oct 2012 21:39 - Edited by: trollbridge

and Mr. Bear finally was brought to his new home! We bought him almost 4 years ago and he has been hanging out in our home until the time was right to bring him up north. I still say he needs a name...

It is amazing how getting to put some floors down really makes the place feel like FINALLY we are getting closer to the finish line
Oct._2021_2012up_.jpg
Oct._2021_2012up_.jpg

naturelover66
# Posted: 24 Oct 2012 21:41

LOVE it........ its all very creative and very well done!!

Montanan
# Posted: 25 Oct 2012 01:24

So cozy! I love the canisters- and we had that EXACT cookie tin in my house when I was growing up! I like how you have the microwave tucked into the base cabinetry. And those beadboard ceilings are spectacular.

trollbridge
# Posted: 25 Oct 2012 10:47

Thanks so much ladies!!!

It is fun to finally get to "dig" out some of this stuff! Getting the floors in is making a huge difference in how "done" we feel. We know there is still a ton of work left to do but at least we can enjoy the place while we keep working. I must say though...it is really annoying how much mess needs to get made to get stuff done. It's like the place gets destroyed and then needs to be cleaned back up again after each completed project-grrrr...

I would really like to get started on the counter tops and also it would be nice to get the oven/range hooked up (and find a new handle for it-that became a fatality one day while trying to move it out for the cabinets. OOPSY)

old buddy
# Posted: 26 Oct 2012 09:29

Mr. and mrs Troll:
I was looking over your thread and forgot to ask you about your grandson lately. How is he doing? I swear....we worry about them when they're infants, worry about them in school, worry about them at driving age....it just never ends! I guess that's what love is all about.

Your cabin looks DONE. I really like your screened in porch. Is it about 12X24? Looks fabulous. Is your plan to move there at some point in your lives?

Hope your pregnancy is going well ....or did you already give birth? Did I read your last comments about the doctor's visit to say that he delivered your last 9 children? Wow I think we always dream about a large family but the expense is major. Congratulations to all of you.
Currently we have Old Buddy, his sister, his two children and our daughter's two grand-children. That makes for a nice crowd at the cabin, although we have never all stayed there. Realistically...I don't see the boys staying there until there at least ten years old. Presently they're almost six and almost four. The dark of the woods really frightens them at this age. I can undrestand that. So for now it has been Old Buddy and I or Old Buddy and his wife. She loves the out-door thing.

We got the bunk-room all buttoned up and the insulation complete. The next job (I don't know when ) will be to finish the inside. I'm embarassed to say I'm not in any hurry but again....our cabin will never be a cabin like yours and so many more on this forum. Once we put interior wall covering on it .....then it will look like a cabin instead of a "line-shack."

Old Buddy and I have about four cherry trees laying on the ground out in front of the cabin that we need to cut up in the next week or so.
I wouldn't have cut them down except they were all bent and knarly looking! I took my cousin up yesterday and he hadn't seen it for awhile. He really liked the bunk-room and said it "opened it up" quite a bit.

Hope you haven't had too much snow. It was 80 here yesterday but suppose to start dropping today and possibly snow flurries this week-end.

Have a great holiday season!

Old Old Buddy

Bevis
# Posted: 26 Oct 2012 18:18

Always seems like he gets so much done when he goes up by himself...I guess he isn't distracted

Or nagged to death...

Mr. Bear...I still say he needs a name...

BEVIS

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Oct 2012 19:46 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: Bevis
BEVIS

LOL! Just so you are aware before you suggest that...this poor bear has endured a lot at our house...all the time he's been there. He has been dressed up in many different hats, purses, beaded necklaces and scarfs and basically anything anybody here saw fit to make him wear or hold...and there are some STRANGE people here!!! I think at the cabin though he will be wearing his red buffalo plaid hat and scarf...getting ready for winter...It's cold here 'don't ya know'!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 26 Oct 2012 20:24 - Edited by: trollbridge

OOB...Mrs. Troll here...thanks for asking about our grandson Preston. He is doing fine-no lasting physical issues from either surgery. We thank God for that! He has a million dollar smile and he speaks a lot of gibberish right now but I'm sure he will have great things to tell us in the future! He is 15 months old already and going to be a big brother in Feb! That will be our 4th grandchild and our 5th is due in June with the birth of our daughter and son in laws first baby!

Yes...I am still pregnant-5 1/2 weeks from my due date! Still have a lot to do to get ready but it is hitting me that time is winding down. And yes, our doctor has delivered all 9 of our other children. He is a wonderful doctor and we feel so blessed to have him taking care of our family...it will be a very sad day when he retires! He says 5 more years. Having a large family is a major expense and we have made huge sacrifices over the years. Our cabin was finally something we were doing for "ourselves". Hope the new baby enjoys being there as much as we do!

I think you will find that the grand kids will stay at the cabin well before they turn 10 years old. It seems the bigger it gets the more secure it feels to kids. Some day they are going to want to have all their friends come along too...then the fun really begins!! Your bunk room is really coming along. As tempting as it is to get it all done don't worry about a time line. We have been at it over 5 years already with over 3 years into the big cabin already! I would rather take our time and have it done the way we pictured in our heads all along then to rush and slap something up just to be done. Just depends on what your cabin uses are though. What are you planning on doing on the interior walls of your cabin? There are so many neat finishes-it is fun to get creative!

About those cherry trees-what are you planning on doing with them? They aren't about to become firewood are they? Cherry is a beautiful wood and gnarly wood has a lot of value. You should post pictures and dream up some projects that would put it to good use!

Are you expecting much for weather from Hurricane Sandy where you are? Weather experts are predicting quite a huge storm. Hope it doesn't mess up any plans you have to work at the cabin.

BTW...how is Old Buddy liking his job? Is he settling in? I'm sure he isn't getting much sleep-eye with a newborn in the house either. I hope everyone is adjusting well to all the changes!

Take care and don't work too hard! Oh...and enjoy hunting season!

old buddy
# Posted: 26 Oct 2012 21:25

The cheery is ....sorry to say.....about to become firewood. It's rather small trees that had to come down for a road. They only average about 8-10 inches in diameter. Cherry is very common place down here and it smells so good when it burns! Sorry about that!

We are still not sure what we want on the walls. We still need to complete the outside battens, paint and put the final window in the front of the cabin in the loft.

The new room is absolutely fantastic. It has those five windows (32"X54") and it looks more like a sunroom (with an excellent view of the feeder about 60 yards away). It is all sealed up tighter than a drum! Old Buddy and I hauled up a couch today for one end of the room and we had all the windows open in the room while we were there. I guess the storm that's coming started pushing cold air our way and we closed the windows after about an hour. I'm telling you....
it was as quiet as I could have ever imagined in there. The wind was blowing leaves everywhere but we couldn't hear anything inside

As far as the storm goes...my wife says we could get as much as 5 inches of rain over the next few days. I hear that southern West Virginia could get a foot of snow (in their mountains). Tina (my wife) says the news people are calling it "the perfect storm." We'll see....I sure hope not. If it isn't raining in the morning we're going up! If it starts once we get there we'll just have to eat and watch the bad weather outside

It will probably be just Old Buddy and I going. Yes...he's settling in just fine. He finished his orientation today and will begin 16 weeks of OJT in I.C.U. on Monday morning. The baby is fine and Big Red is in the 98 percentile in heighth. He's growing so fast. The baby was six-weeks old yesterday.

Well....it's been good talking at ya but I'm going to watch a little TV. Again...have a great Holiday Season and I hope your delivery goes smooth. I've already said a prayer for you and your family

Old Old Buddy

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 33 . 34 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.