Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Northern wisconsin cabin
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 33 . 34 . >>
Montanan
# Posted: 29 Aug 2011 11:48

What a creative idea! Can you believe how far you have come since then??

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Sep 2011 23:17

I know...pretty amazing we have been able to get anything done. Since we started we have had 3 weddings, 2 grandbabies, 4 college graduations, 1 high school graduation, 1 appendectomy and countless other things that have kept us busy...not to mention the poor state of the economy and a self employed flooring installer just trying to earn a buck.

trollbridge
# Posted: 10 Sep 2011 22:40

We are home this weekend. We decided to take our youngest two kids and our two grand kids and their parents to the zoo. Our two year old granddaughter has been very interested in being a tiger lately so we thought she should get to see a real tiger. I think she was more fascinated by the monkeys though. They were quite active and very amusing to watch. It was a lovely day for the zoo and a picnic in the park.

Last weekend we had a blast up north and got a reminder of what we were building our cabin for in the first place.Besides our youngest two kids our oldest son,his wife and our granddaughter came up with us and our daughter and her husband came up also. Her husband had never been up before.We did no work other than cut a few dead trees down for winter firewood and stripped the bark and put up one post in the cabin. We 4 wheeled on all our trails which had been neglected all summer, went to the beach, did bonfires, played games...all good stuff! We had been so busy working all winter, spring and summer that we literally forgot how good it feels to enjoy the land. It truely was a wonderful time!
On the way home we detoured to see the cabin getting started of some friends who helped us on ours. They were just getting the walls up and were experiencing that joy of finally getting to see their plans come together. We were so excited for them cause for years they have been wanting a cabin to call their own-so fun to see their dreams come true too!

Montanan
# Posted: 13 Sep 2011 12:15

What a great weekend! It's so nice to be able to take some time to just enjoy the place, isn't it?

trollbridge
# Posted: 13 Sep 2011 21:11

Yes, very much so. This weekend however we are going up and plan on working the whole time. We want to finish the barn boards on the screened porch and the soffit on it and finish priming and painting. We also will hopefully be able to dig down and get our post in the ground for the corner overhang on the porch. The ground has dried out a lot lately so hopefully our hole will not fill with water when we get down deep. Then maybe after dark we will get some more chinking done inside or wood up on the walls. I would like to get the tin behind the woodstove up also. We shall see- at any rate, I am super excited to go :)

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Sep 2011 10:44

We got a lot of what we wanted to accomplish done. It is always hard to predict how long something takes but I guess as long as we are steadily working and not wasting time we should feel a sense of accomplishment, right? We got the galvanized tin up behind the woodstove. That took longer than we thought it would but we are happy with it. We still need to clean it.

We also worked on the barn board siding but ran out before we could get the upper part of the backside done. I think we will remove what we have down low on the front porch and use that to finish and then use stone there. We have all this used or "found for cheap" materials but it is always hard to estimate exactly how many square feet of something we have. Most everything has been stacked at home for so long.

We also worked on soffits and wrapping the beam on the screen porch.

We were able to dig down the 4 feet we needed to set the footing for the corner post which will support the roof overhang. Had a small fight over that post and what the finish result was going to look like :) We agreed we would wing that at the time we finish those stairs and railing that are going to tie into it somehow. Ugh! Details, details, details!!!!

For dinner BBQ porkchops on the grill fixed all sour attitudes!! We also finished getting all the chinking done on the wood walls that are up. We brought up every last board we had a home so that we can finish the remaining walls sometime after the outside stuff is done-it is the mad race to finish up before old man winter arrives!

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Sep 2011 10:47

Here are pics
bottom half done!
bottom half done!
top half done!
top half done!
All done
All done

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Sep 2011 10:49 - Edited by: trollbridge

Here are more pics. Excuse our big mess!
soffits,beam and post
soffits,beam and post
close up of end of beam
close up of end of beam
barnboard siding
barnboard siding

hattie
# Posted: 19 Sep 2011 12:46

The place is looking great trollbridge. I love the wood stove! *S*

Montanan
# Posted: 19 Sep 2011 15:26

It's looking fabulous! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the galvanized tin behind the wood stove, as well as the hearth. The strip of mosaic tile in the middle of the tin looks spectacular. We've been toying with doing tin behind our stove and had kind of decided we didn't want to cover the logs, but now that I see yours, I'm reconsidering. =)

Great job!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 19 Sep 2011 21:03

Hattie-How is the reopening of your hotel going? Hope you aren't working too hard:)

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Sep 2011 12:57

Oh Hattie... I just saw a picture of your place-WOW!!!! Not your average hotel!!! You should post pics of the insides of each room - that would be so fun to see!! What an awesome way to make a living - you are very lucky :)

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Sep 2011 13:18

Thanks Montanan-
I like the tile back also. We are still searching for just the right thing to make a metal mantel(say that 3 times). I can picture what I want in my head but pretty sure it will have to be all custom done so may be a long time away. If we decide to just leave it this way then all I need to do is put the tile top on the strip which sticks out about 3 inches or so. The weekend we went up to put the tile on the platform my husband grabbed the tile saw from the store he works out of and didn't realize someone had used it last with a different type of blade on it so it broke the tile every time he tried to make a cut. Frustrating, but as you know...when you set out to get a job done you don't want any setbacks. I said "let's just break all the tiles then and piece them in randomly." I like it better actually so I am glad the blade was wrong!

When do you get to get back up to your place?

Montanan
# Posted: 21 Sep 2011 15:48

I wondered how you decided to go with the tile pieces instead of full tiles- great story.

My husband is going back up to our place this weekend (power company was out last week and said they won't run the power until we provide the wires through the mast...would have been nice if they told us that before!) We'll all be headed up next weekend to try to get the place in order for the winter. It SNOWED at the ski hill 8 miles from us yesterday. Winter is on its way! Thanks for asking. =)

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Sep 2011 11:24

Oh geez...you must be really anxious to just get your electric service up and running. Maybe your husband will be able to take advantage of having to make the trip up again and have time to get some other stuff done :)

Do you count the weekends down until you get to go again like I do? I can hardly stand it some times!

SNOW Already? What elevation? I love the stuff and enjoy winter but we really need to get more done outside before I want to see any arrive here! Our building inspector is very laid back but still-we were suppose to be all done with the outside by July 1st. so there is a need to finish as quickly as we can. I think we will be going up Saturday just for the day to work. I want to hit a large flee market that is about half the way there. Hope I can do that quickly!

Montanan
# Posted: 23 Sep 2011 13:12

Yes- definitely hoping he gets some other stuff done too (like flooring!) And yes, I count the weekends...it feels like it's been forever since I've been there (Labor Day!) The whole family will be up there next weekend and the following one though, so I am happy about that.

Our elevation is about 5,600 ft, but the ski area is at the top of the pass so it's about 6,800. Hopefully we'll have a few more weeks before we get any real snow at the cabin. We have to pass inspection before our construction loan expires at the end of November. Yikes!

Enjoy your time up at your place this weekend. What will you be working on?

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Sep 2011 13:37

What do you have to have done to pass inspection? Everything inside and out? We only need to have the outside done and smoke alarms on the inside(even if we don't have electricity). The outside got delayed because we had such a wet spring and early summer-in fact for a while we had "lakeside" property. We couldn't get scaffolding out.

On Saturday we will be finishing the soffit on the screen porch(boring) and depending on how long that takes we will hopefully get our landing built for the steps. Then we will be able to get railings started and figure out that post that we fought over last weekend. Darn that post! We rarely disagree over this stuff, but what we each pictured was different. I have a hunch that railings are going to take quite a while to do so the closer we get to starting the better.

Have a great weekend!

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Sep 2011 13:40 - Edited by: trollbridge

Oh and we did have to have the electrical wiring inspected. We wired like we would if we had electricity. Maybe someday.

Construction loans are different though...you have to please the bank :|

Montanan
# Posted: 23 Sep 2011 16:29

Good luck with your projects this weekend- maybe not as fun as some of the other work, but important nonetheless. Hope you get the post issue sorted out. We've had a few things happen where we realized our vision differed from each other- finding a workable solution can take some time (and compromise!) ;)

So, why do you have to have a building inspection? Is it just law around there? I don't think we'd have to have anything but the electrical and insurance inspection if we didn't have a loan. I'm nervous about the bank appraiser's inspection because I DON'T KNOW what all has to be done. ACK! I know it has be considered *done* before we can convert to a conventional loan. We're having the appraiser visit on Oct. 10, so hopefully we will find out what else will have to be completed before we can pass.

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Sep 2011 21:22

It is good you are having the appraiser come out before you need to be done. I'm sure he will have a few pointers to make. Hopefully he will be pretty easy going. Is your land also part of your loan?

When we applied for our building permit the inspector came out and looked at our plans (Our drawings we did up ourselves and then we made some changes to after the fact-oops!) He also briefly looked at the site and gave us our permit to hang on a tree. He was really good about answering our questions and we have called him numerous times since then to ask how he prefer we do something. After you pay(ouch) and receive the permit you have two years to complete the outside of the building. On the inside we only have to have the electrical inspected cause we have no plumbing or HVAC. So basically he looks at the construction overall and checks the electrical then writes up our completion papers and goes on his way-we can take however long we need to get the inside done. I'm glad, but it is kinda strange that they don't check railings in the loft or stairs since they have to meet code. Oh well!

Yeah our corner post issue will get worked out once we get the landing on. Then we will actually be able to SEE what needs to get done. Right now it is so hard to visualize cause we have the stairs temporarily attached so it is difficult to picture the landing and then the stairs. I don't know, but i'm not worried about it. We both have been good about compromising so far.

Montanan
# Posted: 25 Sep 2011 00:01

Ah yes...one of the bonuses of being in "lawless Montana" is that we didn't have to have a building permit! It's a long story, but the gist is that we are between 2 jurisdictions and neither the county nor the township has authority to issue one. No inspection is required for plumbing at all and we have no HVAC either, so it's just electrical, bank, and insurance.

We have a separate loan for the land (bought it before we started to build) but it will all be rolled together in the conventional loan.

Did you make it to the flea market??

trollbridge
# Posted: 25 Sep 2011 00:47 - Edited by: trollbridge

Made it to the flea market...it was a huge disappointment,but at least it was half way to our cabin and it did not cost anything to get in. We also stopped at a very small antique shop along the way-nothing much there but the owner was interesting...in a bizarre way!

We just got home a bit ago and I am tired and ready for sleep! We got our soffits on the screened porch up and primed and painted. While my husband did that I stripped the bark from our pine railing posts with a draw knife. My back is sore from bending over them. I did the 4 post we need for the front porch and we got the bottoms notched out so they are ready to go when we are.

While working on the landing for the wide stairway off the screened porch the drill decided to crap out on us. I had just been using it, so of course, now my husband thinks I fried yet another drill (last year I apparently fried his favorite one). I think maybe I should avoid this tool in the future cause they must not like me =(
So that particular project came to a screeching halt! Just as well, it was getting dark out anyways- not much sunlight into the evenings these days but the stars were beautiful as we drove home. The leaves had changed since last weekend and were very pretty as well.

Now the countdown til the next trip up begins..the anticipation will drive me crazy!!

hattie
# Posted: 25 Sep 2011 12:40

Quoting: trollbridge
You should post pics of the insides of each room - that would be so fun to see!!

Thanks for the compliments. The reopening has been great. September has been quite busy. Here are some photos of inside the rooms.
Bank
Bank
Bank (the safe is a refrigerator)
Bank (the safe is a refrigerator)
Saloon
Saloon
Saloon
Saloon

hattie
# Posted: 25 Sep 2011 12:43 - Edited by: hattie

Here is the larger unit (Barbershop).
The clock in the bedroom runs backwards. It is a "Barbershop" clock. To read it you have to look in the mirror (not shown in photos) which is on the wall opposite the clock.
front room of Barbershop
front room of Barbershop
kitchen of Barbershop
kitchen of Barbershop
bedroom of Barbershop
bedroom of Barbershop
bedroom of Barbershop
bedroom of Barbershop

hattie
# Posted: 25 Sep 2011 12:53

I loved the story about your tiles. *S* I think they look nicer the way you have done them. Just goes to show sometimes things happen for a reason. *S*

neb
# Posted: 25 Sep 2011 12:57

Very very nice you have a great place and something to be very proud of.

trollbridge
# Posted: 25 Sep 2011 14:12

The hotel looks wonderful Hattie. So clean like a good hotel should be =)
Your "safe" is very clever and I love the bedside lamps. I bet you meet the nicest people from all over. Are you in a small town? It just looks so quaint! I'm glad business has been steady too :)

Are the leaves beautiful colors right now? Ours will be at their peak probably next weekend!

trollbridge
# Posted: 25 Sep 2011 14:31

Thanks neb...we'll keep plugging away :)

How is everything at your place? Any special projects your working on? Will you use your place during the winter too?

hattie
# Posted: 25 Sep 2011 21:32

trollbridge: Thank you for your kind words. *S* Yes we live in a REALLY small town of about 85 people. The Hotel pub beside us (only open on weekends) and our motel are the only businesses in town. It doesn't get much smaller than that. *S*

Because of that, we are the unofficial Tourist Information Centre in town. Our motto is, "come visit us and we'll tell you where to go for free". *S* We get lots of lost people wandering in. We give out free tourist brochures that we have printed up (over 1,500 to date) and we also have free colour maps that Hubby made for people who want to go exploring up the mountain behind us. We also give directions to the ambulance drivers when they come to town and get lost and we also get calls from Search and Rescue when they need advice on things. Oh, and since we look after the local cemetery, we get calls from funeral homes asking if they can bury people there. *LOL* It's never a dull moment around here. My Dad was afraid I'd turn into a hermit if we moved here, but I don't think we've ever met as many people as since we moved here. They are always wandering into our house thinking it is a museum or wanting to use the phone or washroom. *LOL*

The leaves here are turning but we don't get really nice colour like I am used to in Ontario. We get lots of yellow here but not so much red. My favourite in Ontario were the almost fluorescent sumac in the fall.

trollbridge
# Posted: 25 Sep 2011 22:18 - Edited by: trollbridge

Wow!!!!! That is a small town isn't it? It doesn't sound at all boring though-it sounds like heaven in a way! And it is probably easier to become a hermit in a large city than your burg-everybody would wonder where you've been if you didn't show your face within a few days huh?!?

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 33 . 34 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.