Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Northern wisconsin cabin
<< 1 ... 27 . 28 . 29 . 30 . 31 . 32 . 33 . 34 . >>
Martian
# Posted: 27 Aug 2013 09:01

TB, I hope you are feeling better this morning.

As the mother of an infant, who is also sick, you don't really have the option of taking the day off. Of all the jobs in the world, yours is one in which YOU are truly indispensable! All the rest of us, can say 'to heck with it', and roll over, but for you, that just isn't an option! I am in awe of mothers in general, but especially you!

I hope you feel better soon, if you don't already.

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Aug 2013 09:49

Thank you!

I feel better than I did....this "gunk" just needs to clear out.......every day the sinus headache takes the whole morning to finally go away.
Noelle was tough to get to sleep last night......no sleep for her equals no sleep for me, but I know she would have rather been sleeping too.

I was able to lessen my work load yesterday by only having 2 of the grandkids instead of the 4 to watch. That helped a lot! Also, my son Scott's football game was cancelled so I didn't have to go to that.

I did get out for a walk last night, but that isn't considered work....that is my down time.....something I really need, work hard for and look forward to...my way to unwind and refuel so that I do have the energy to be there for everyone else. I catch a lot of grief for taking that time for myself. The way I see it, I have an infant that needs to be raised and she needs healthy parents. This is how I take care of myself physically and emotionally. Little Ellie inspires me to be the best I can be....I do it for her...she needs me to be as healthy as possible for the short term, as well as the long haul. She deserves that!

Martian
# Posted: 27 Aug 2013 09:59

Quoting: trollbridge
I did get out for a walk last night, but that isn't considered work....that is my down time.....something I really need, work hard for and look forward to...my way to unwind and refuel so that I do have the energy to be there for everyone else. I catch a lot of grief for taking that time for myself. The way I see it, I have an infant that needs to be raised and she needs healthy parents. This is how I take care of myself physically and emotionally. Little Ellie inspires me to be the best I can be....I do it for her...she needs me to be as healthy as possible for the short term, as well as the long haul. She deserves that!

You are absolutely right! As the cabin attendants say before a flight, "Put on your oxygen mask before helping someone else." It is important for the caregiver to be healthy and happy in order for them to perform their job. Keep taking care of yourself. Your lovely daughter, and the rest of your family, require you being healthy.

Tom

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 Aug 2013 21:51

Does, Mr Troll take over when he can? Some guys can do it and some can't. I assume he does someone is giving you that little bit of time. It's to bad it's so late in the evening. Well it is a good time for it if you can stay awake.

O

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Aug 2013 19:26

He is more than capable.....

I take her with me in the stroller when I can but sometimes she doesn't want to sit that long. She is a busy baby afterall, with places to explore and things to put in her mouth! When I have to carry her AND push the stroller it isn't much fun....she's heavy!

I walk mainly late in the evening. I don't mind going then because it is cooler and I don't want to take away from family time, but it is scarier being on the shoulder of the road and seeing headlights veering toward me at 55MPH. I've had to jump in the ditch a few times. Drivers really need to pay better attention! Obviously, I don't want to push the stroller down the busy road in the dark so then I end up very limited in where I can go.

I enjoy that time out. It allows me to unwind and release the stresses of the day and focus on what I need to do the next day. My mind goes all over the place and sometimes nowhere at all....which is just what I need

Martian
# Posted: 28 Aug 2013 23:33

I enjoy that time out. It allows me to unwind and release the stresses of the day and focus on what I need to do the next day. My mind goes all over the place and sometimes nowhere at all....which is just what I need

Its not ALL about exercise. Granted the endorphins produced help relax you, but just being away from the constant responsibility is so important to your health. Being constantly on the alert, and having to keep an eye on everyone, is stressful.

I know as captain of a crew sailing across an ocean, being responsible when, at any minute, something could go wrong, takes its toll. I only had to worry for the length of the passage, but for you, its a lifetime voyage.

Taking an hour or two to regain some sense of peace, is a really good thing. I'm sure once Mr. Troll understands how important it is to you, he will gladly give it to you.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 29 Aug 2013 06:35

You need the cabin. I've been hearing tree frogs lately. It's supposed to cool down this weekend. We need just a fall chill and I'll be thinking about it.

O

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Aug 2013 14:29

I'm hoping for a relaxing weekend at the cabin...weather sounds like it will be cool. I am really looking forward to fall....

Martian
# Posted: 30 Aug 2013 09:06

Remember its a vacation only when you get to take off work! I hope you get a relaxing weekend, too, and its not simply an "away" job. The cooler weather will help.

Tom

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 5 Sep 2013 07:34

Did you get to your cabin last weekend?

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Sep 2013 09:08 - Edited by: trollbridge

Hi Owen,

Yes, we made it to the cabin last Friday night and thankfully everything was the way we left it. That was a relief. We had 3 of our older kids and their families spend the weekend-so all 5 grandkids plus our 3 youngest kids. It was a full house!

Saturday we spent time at the beach....it was so beautiful. Sunday we all went to the zoo and then to the Railroad Museum. I can see why the zoo flooded last summer...I had never been there. I thought the polar bear was back from it's stay at Como Park Zoo.....turns out now it is at the Kansas City Zoo for hopeful breeding. That bear has been getting around! I remember the polar bear exhibit was my favorite as a kid at the KC zoo. I loved watching them.

What a treasure the railroad museum is! I really enjoyed that. Those snowplowing engines completely fascinated me They were HUGE!

We really didn't have that much time at the cabin for just hanging out...I never did get any hammock time, nor did we get a bonfire and s'mores...but tomorrow night we are going back up with my mom and brother and his 3 kids so hopefully if the weather is nice we will get to.

I didn't take many pictures, but I will put them up soon.

Best part of my week? SCHOOL STARTED yesterday!!!! I couldn't wait! My daughter moved into the dorms and now my stuff is mine again. Lol. And the silence yesterday was golden with the other two in class for the day! It was great! I could actually hear my own thoughts!! Now my whole schedule changes up again-I hope I like my new routine for the school year.

Martian
# Posted: 5 Sep 2013 09:20

Sorry you didn't get the down time you wanted. Maybe this weekend will be better.

Enjoy the peace and quiet.

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Sep 2013 09:28

Not a lot of down time but I still enjoyed myself. It is great having everyone share in the meal responsibilities-I really appreciate that and other than trying to move that big of a group along at the zoo it was fine That was a bit painful...lol.

Yeaaah, ya betcha, I'm enjoying the peace and quiet at home! Yipee!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Sep 2013 10:16 - Edited by: trollbridge

The one project that got done was a picnic table for the screen porch. It's a big 'ol 8 foot long heavy duty, going no where, feeds a crowd, Paul Bunyan style picnic table!!! Even Babe, the blue ox, could sit at this table and be comfortable!!! LOL.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 5 Sep 2013 18:56

I'm glad you got to go. You're going to go again this weekend? Wow.
I'm not so lucky, I have to build another cabin in Willow River this weekend. I'm also working back at the small engine shop. Maybe the following weekend for me.

Martian
# Posted: 5 Sep 2013 21:38

Only 5 extras? This weekend should be a piece of cake for you!

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Sep 2013 10:58

Yes, get to go again and yes, only 5 extra

I'm hoping for a relaxing weekend. My brother does like to come to our house and pretend he is on vacation, but at least at the cabin he will stay pretty busy outdoors with the kids....start a bonfire and for the most part he will be out of my hair.

My mom loves going to the cabin and she enjoys seeing our progress. She will ask what we have left to do and then will want to know 'how much longer that will take'....I'm sure many here can relate to the question being asked. It is so difficult to give an answer to that....I tell her every time that it all depends on how often we are able to get there and then I remind her that we have been working our butts off!

The kids will stay busy playing...the woods, the creek....what's not to enjoy?

Find time to relax a bit also!

Martian
# Posted: 6 Sep 2013 13:29

With the new side-by-side, they can go for drives, too. I'm sure they will enjoy that!

I hope you do get some time to relax. You're a busy person!

Tom

Martian
# Posted: 6 Sep 2013 20:51

My mom loves going to the cabin and she enjoys seeing our progress. She will ask what we have left to do and then will want to know 'how much longer that will take'....I'm sure many here can relate to the question being asked. It is so difficult to give an answer to that....I tell her every time that it all depends on how often we are able to get there and then I remind her that we have been working our butts off!

TB, when my mom got into her eighties, which I assume your mother is close to, I answered the same kind of question many times. While you may remember her asking it, there's no guarantee that she does. Just look at her, smile, and give her the standard answer, "God! I wish I knew!"

A cabin is never "finished"!

Tom.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 6 Sep 2013 21:42

Please tell me how much fun you had on Mon.

Martian
# Posted: 8 Sep 2013 00:16

Hey, Owen, if she post can we all read it? I mean, I wouldn't want to be reading anything sent just to you.

How about it, TB? Can we all hear if you were you able to have a good weekend?

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Sep 2013 20:13 - Edited by: trollbridge

Hey, anybodfy actually interested in what I have to say is welcome to read and post comments or questions, all I ask is that we all stay pleasant

I did have a relaxed weekend and most importantly the kids all had a great time. My niece (the one undergoing treatment for Leukemia) and our daughter have so much fun together and my 9 year old nephew fits in nicely too. They spent a lot of time fishing at the river and caught oodles of fish. We had hammock time and a nice bonfire with s'mores last night. My mother got the full tour of the land via side by side which she thoroughly enjoyed. Mr. Troll took the 3 kids for a ride thru the woods in the pitch dark of night and the screaming and laughing coming from back in the woods was so funny. I can't tell you how many times they yelled out "We're gonna die!!!" It was a 'danger Ranger' ride for certain! They slept very well last night

Martian
# Posted: 8 Sep 2013 20:33

Glad to hear it was a fun weekend, TB.

Tom

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 9 Sep 2013 07:26

Nice. I actually like it getting dark early. I see a lot of bugs have died off too. It's all good. It sounds like a danger range ride is scary.

O

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 Sep 2013 10:21

You are right, there were no mosquitoes or horse/deer flies and that was GREAT! I don't mind the earlier darkness either and I loved the cooler temps on Saturday evening and Sunday. Fall will be here and after 92 today for a high, I will welcome it with open arms!

Martian
# Posted: 9 Sep 2013 18:07 - Edited by: Martian

No lie! Cooler temps would be nice! I'm building a 16X32 mother-in-law cabin about 6 miles from home. Its in the sun until about 3:30. Man, has it been warm! We are supposed to get cooler weather on Wednesday...I hope so!! It was 100 on Saturday, and I was working!

I, too, will welcome it with open arms; although they are somewhat sunburned, already!

Tom

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Sep 2013 18:32 - Edited by: trollbridge

okay....finally some pics from the last couple trips up. Been a busy time with school, football, and Mom visiting from Florida.
Noelle at beach
Noelle at beach
would be a cool pedestal base for a table
would be a cool pedestal base for a table
granddaughter Morgan
granddaughter Morgan
zoo
zoo

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Sep 2013 18:42

and...
nature trail at zoo
nature trail at zoo
all the kiddos
all the kiddos
Noelle in the hammock
Noelle in the hammock
tractor
tractor

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Sep 2013 18:48

more.
snowplow engine was massive!
snowplow engine was massive!
conductor panel....um duh, yeah, I could do that.
conductor panel....um duh, yeah, I could do that.
mail car
mail car
Laura with her cousin Shannon
Laura with her cousin Shannon

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Sep 2013 18:56

and a couple more
picnic table
picnic table
mom and Noelle
mom and Noelle
cabin with stained porches
cabin with stained porches
little windshield the plow engine gets!
little windshield the plow engine gets!

<< 1 ... 27 . 28 . 29 . 30 . 31 . 32 . 33 . 34 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.