Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Step one, two and three!
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Vince P
# Posted: 16 Mar 2009 11:12 - Edited by: Vince P

Quoting: unixfmike
One, a picture of my Thetford Aquamagic V toilet. Who said a low water flush system for an RV wouldn't work in a wilderness cabin?

Yup, I put in a Sealand RV toilet to a composting chamber below the cabin, with a tube for excess liquid to run to an evaporation bed. I'll report on the setup after it gets used some.
Your cabin's lookin good Mike. Keep those pics coming.
Vince
Toilet in new bathroom
Toilet in new bathroom
Composting Chamber below toilet
Composting Chamber below toilet

cabinbasics
# Posted: 16 Mar 2009 16:48

Good stuff Mike, progress looks good based on your goal list and what was actually possible. Hey where's all the snow? You're pretty far up north aren't you?

Vince on your comode set-up I'm curious how that composting chamber vents, and does enough water remain in the bowl to keep odiferous nasties from perfuming the cabin?

unixfmike
# Posted: 16 Mar 2009 17:30 - Edited by: unixfmike

I don't have any snow. We've had lots of rain in that area, and I must brag a big because the roof was tight enough that no water came in over 3 days of rain. Here's a map of where I am. I'm between Dustin, OK and Weleetka, OK.

--MikeW
mikes_location.jpg
mikes_location.jpg

Vince P
# Posted: 16 Mar 2009 21:26

Quoting: cabinbasics
Vince on your comode set-up I'm curious how that composting chamber vents, and does enough water remain in the bowl to keep odiferous nasties from perfuming the cabin?

If you look closely at my composting chamber, you will notice it is a 30 gallon barrel. A 4" pipe (seen leaning against the cabin in the background) installs on one end and vents vertically. The flanges that mount to the barrel actually swivel, so to barrel can "tumble" the contents to accelerate composting.
As for the toilet. This type of toilet has a self cleaning sealing valve that closes off the barrel contents from the bathroom, so in essense it's nearly identical from a convenience point of view to a toilet in your house. You can learn more about the toilet here: http://www.sealandtechnology.com/prodsmtoilet.asp
Vince

cabinbasics
# Posted: 17 Mar 2009 10:27

Not sure why Mike but I thought you were in Montana. I kept thinking you must be freezing doing all that work. The ground looks unbelievably rocky there.

Thanks for the details Vince. I'm assuming the vent pipe will rise above the roof line...I also read somewhere that adding sawdust to the composting counteracts the odor. Good food for future thought.

unixfmike
# Posted: 17 Mar 2009 13:03

Just that little piece of my land is very rocky. On the other side of draw, the land is sand with roots. It is two extremely dislike bases for building. As far as being in Montana, if the Army had a base there I could go to I would go.

--MikeW

islandguy
# Posted: 17 Mar 2009 14:35

Nice set-up Vince. I also have a sealand rv toilet to install in my cabin this spring. I like the porcelin, since its seems more like a "real" toilet. I did'nt like the spray wand though, since it seems to be one more place to potentially drip. have you had any trouble with it? Are you going to be using chemical compost accelerants in your tank?
Does the black water freeze in the tank?

Vince P
# Posted: 17 Mar 2009 15:15

Quoting: islandguy
have you had any trouble with it? Are you going to be using chemical compost accelerants in your tank?
Does the black water freeze in the tank?

I'll be using a 50/50 mix of peatmoss and wood shavings and the excess liquid will go out to an evaporation bed.
We haven't used it yet, so I can't answer any question about performance.
Vince

unixfmike
# Posted: 20 Mar 2009 16:39 - Edited by: unixfmike

I was able to get very little done. My generator is hosed, and the company does not answer incoming calls. So I have to figure out how to fix that, or possibly use just the 12 volt side of it? I did add in a few electrical outlets and cut my stairs by hand. Here are the limited pictures of minimal progres.

Me and the kids stayed up there, and through the rainstorm, no leaks! It wasn't warm, but the low 60's is a tolerable temp.

--MikeW
week_10_1.JPG
week_10_1.JPG
week_10_2.JPG
week_10_2.JPG
week_10_3.JPG
week_10_3.JPG
week_10_4.JPG
week_10_4.JPG

unixfmike
# Posted: 5 Apr 2009 15:17

I finally got back to working on the cabin. The recent surprise thunderstorms are getting to be irratating. They are grounding me to the point I can't work. On another note, while I was making the drive up, I made it to Oklahoma city before my truck blew two of the fittings in the water cooling system. So that added an hour delay to the travel time and cut out any possibility of Friday night work. So after I got there, I was able to get some rest and work on Saturday morning.

Picture 1 : The back of the stairs as seen from the front door.
Picture 2 : The stairs as seen from the loft looking down.
Picture 3 : The "no-fall" wall on the loft as seen from the stairs.
Picture 4 : The same as #3 but from the south end of the loft.

--MikeW

P.S. There are more pictures...
week_11_01.jpg
week_11_01.jpg
week_11_02.jpg
week_11_02.jpg
week_11_03.jpg
week_11_03.jpg
week_11_04.jpg
week_11_04.jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 5 Apr 2009 15:21

Here are the next ones.

Picture 5 : I closed in the soffits due to the infamous wasps that I see becoming a problem for me.
Picture 6 : Me up on a ladder finally getting my roofing shingles on!
Picture 7 : All the paint and facia complete on the north side.
Picture 8 : All the paint and facia complete on the south side.

--MikeW

P.S. There are still a few more pictures.
week_11_05.jpg
week_11_05.jpg
week_11_06.jpg
week_11_06.jpg
week_11_07.jpg
week_11_07.jpg
week_11_08.jpg
week_11_08.jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 5 Apr 2009 15:27

I think these are the last 4 from this weekend. At least the last 4 that aren't blurry or showing a close up of my son's thumb.

Picture 9 : Using 15 gallong barrels to fill the 55 gallon barrel.
Picture 10 : The last of the painting. (2 gallons tan, 1 gallon brown)
Picture 11 : My son shooting soda cans on a string with a BB gun.
Picture 12 : My son shooting soda cans on a string with a BB gun.

--MikeW

P.S. I'm not going crazy spending an abundance of time building like I had started out. I'm starting to use it like I had planned. It's becoming the weekend get away with a little food supply, fire wood, and a bathroom. The shower will be built soon and so will my kitchenette.
week_11_09.jpg
week_11_09.jpg
week_11_10.jpg
week_11_10.jpg
week_11_11.jpg
week_11_11.jpg
week_11_12.jpg
week_11_12.jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 5 Apr 2009 15:33 - Edited by: unixfmike

I came up with a list of stuff to get done this weekend. Unfortunately I forgot my drill at home so I could not do any drilling (need holes to pull electrical wires/Romex).

<pre>

To-Do

1. X build last 2 steps/stairs
2. X finish cutting stair landing
3. X finish loft handrails
4. add circuit breaker for upstairs
5. wire loft
6. wire living room
7. wire bathroom
8. X finish painting gables
9. X paint touchup spots
10. X paint and hang facia
11. X build in soffits
12. X start laying the shingles!!!
</pre>

I was able to get ahold of the importer for my generator that broke a couple weeks ago. The company is doing a full exchange as long as I ship them mine. I took my generator in Friday and shipped it. The company I am shipping it with spilled something on the box. Since it was my packaging, I need to go back up to the store and repackage it again with their materials. I should have a brand new generator in time to drill the last few holes for wiring the lights and hang the insulation.

--MikeW

jo_yo
# Posted: 11 Apr 2009 21:08

man its looking awesum i went up to eufuala and worked on mine today got a lil bit donw on my "lounge" wich is like a soft sided hard roofed cabin ill have some pics of it soon hope when i start on my real cabin it can be half as nice as urs

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 12 Apr 2009 13:47 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Looks nice, unixfmike. Thanks for sharing your cabin pictures and experiences.
This is a great thread on this forum and is quite inspiring.

unixfmike
# Posted: 15 Apr 2009 22:33 - Edited by: unixfmike

Thank you guys for the compliments. I get a lot of enjoyment out of actually performing the work. I hope first time builders will be able to see some different steps of the progress to help encourage them to build. Besides the fun work, I want this to be a nice little weekend getaway place. You have to see the antlers that I'll be mounting up there on the loft wall.

Here is my weekend to do list. If I manage my time I'll be able to get this stuff all done, and still have time to shoot cans. Some of this will go faster than what I'm planning for. God, please give me good weather this weekend.

--MikeW

To-Do
------------------------------------------------
1. build shower wall (20 min)
2. panel in bathroom (seperate from main room and stairs) (30 min)
3. install bathroom door and hardware (15 min)
4. panel stair wall (30 min)
5. panel loft wall (get ready for hanging taxidermy stuffs) (45 min)
6. insulate the loft gables (1 hr)
7. add circuit breaker for upstairs (5 min)
8. wire loft (1 hr)
9. wire living room (1 hr)
10. wire bathroom (1 hr)
11. frame in / build pedestal for woodstove (1 hr)
12. continue laying the shingles!!! (abuse the day light and good weather)

Bring from home
1. Cordless Drill
2. Drill bit (1/2")
3. File (to sharpen bit)
4. protractor
5. queen bed set and linens

Qty. Description
6 | 1/4"x4'x8' Laun (stairwell/bathroom/loft wall) ($66)
4 | 2"x4"x8' ($8)
1 | bathroom door ($60)
1 | locking door knob (no cut key) ($7)
1 | 1 1/4" finish nails ($3)
3 | R-13 insulation (batts) ($81)
2 | AA Batteries ($2)
elk_sheds.jpg
elk_sheds.jpg

cabinbasics
# Posted: 16 Apr 2009 14:00

Very cool elk sheds Mike! I see your home is well protected by the lazer-eyed monster in the background.

"I get a lot of enjoyment out of actually performing the work" - What are you gonna do after this cabin is built? C'mon I can see your mind already at work.

unixfmike
# Posted: 16 Apr 2009 17:19 - Edited by: unixfmike

That's our family cat, Ranger. He whooped the dog's butt on day one of living with us, now the two of them have mutaul respect for each other and co-exist without tearing up the house.

Here is a list of the general property plans that take up about 1 1/2 of the 5 acres.

1. My kids want a castle with tower or a tree house or a fort of some kind that is their place to play. I'll build that soon that way they can enjoy their time up there too.

2. We all want a place for a campfire, it's our place to just hang out and relax together and be able to talk and still know each other without the use of sending a text message or leaving post it notes on the fridge/microwave/coffee pot, etc.

3. Me and the kids are archers, we haven't talked my wife into the bow yet. Not to say that I haven't tried for 2 years.

4. I want to build a dam for a pond, to hold pan fish and to hold water for the garden. It's a good place for kids to learn to flip lures.

5. 50 meter Firearm range. We all love shooting, and I reload to keep that an affordable hobby.

6. A decent sized garden. No one can complain about the fresh tastes of a garden. Not to mention the wildlife that is attracted to it.

Those are my goals to complete before July. In all reality, those aren't big projects, they just cover big spaces but are simple tasks. I'm sure most of them will get document as individual "Member's Projects".

--MikeW
land_plans.jpg
land_plans.jpg

cabinbasics
# Posted: 16 Apr 2009 21:00

Now we're talkin! Pretty cool plan. A garden? You mean a food plot!
So on the pond how deep do you think it would be once dammed? It sounds like you have a little creek or stream running through there now.

unixfmike
# Posted: 16 Apr 2009 21:41

Well, I guess a human food plot. I know there are turkeys, racoons, deer, and a few massive elk, and I know they will eat what they want to eat. I'm guessing the deapest part of the damn to be about 14 feet. I will dig the edges vertical so that I don't end up with stagnant mud. From what I randomly guess it will need to be about 40 feet from the water side to back of the damn. I haven't got into the structural math and engineering of it yet. I'll share that info and specifics and sources when I'm closer into starting that project.

Here's a quick plot of the land so you can kind of see how water flows through my property. There is an active 2 foot deep by 6 feet wide creek that runs dry about 4 months out of the year, and not 4 consecutive months. We get enough rain up in that area to keep a small pond filled all year. Speaking of which, we just got into another Oklahoma thunderstorm and more rain...

--MikeW
pond_plot.jpg
pond_plot.jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 18 Apr 2009 21:40 - Edited by: unixfmike

I couldn't accomplish my to-do list. It's nice to have one, but unfortunately one heck of a storm rolled in on me and my daughter this afternoon and scared me off the mountain. I questioned my driving skills on the muddy trail. Half of the time I was driving sideways, but fortunately I never got stuck. I did a lot of itchsulation. Here are the pictures (nothing impressive).

Pictures 1, 2, and 3 are all of insulation. The 4th is of the one batt I forgot to put in. Doh!

--MikeW
week_11_01.jpg
week_11_01.jpg
week_11_02.jpg
week_11_02.jpg
week_11_03.jpg
week_11_03.jpg
week_11_04.jpg
week_11_04.jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 18 Apr 2009 21:45

Some more pics...

5. The last of the insulation shots.
6. I have the paneling on the loft wall.
7. I have most of the paneling on the stair well done.
8. The south wall (by stairwell) insulated and paneled.

--MikeW
week_11_05.jpg
week_11_05.jpg
week_11_06.jpg
week_11_06.jpg
week_11_07.jpg
week_11_07.jpg
week_11_08.jpg
week_11_08.jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 18 Apr 2009 21:50

The last of the pictures from this weekend.

9. The paneling is on the bathroom wall. The white pipe is freshwater.
10. The livingroom area cleaned up.

I brought home the extra wood to build a few small projects so that I can take them up and nail them in.

--MikeW
week_11_09.jpg
week_11_09.jpg
week_11_10.jpg
week_11_10.jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 18 Apr 2009 21:56

Of my list I was not able to do the following.

1. build shower wall (20 min)
3. install bathroom door and hardware (15 min)
8. wire loft (1 hr)
9. wire living room (1 hr)
10. wire bathroom (1 hr)
11. frame in / build pedestal for woodstove (1 hr)

I couldn't drill holes to do the wiring. My cordless drill only lasted for 5 holes (piece of $#!^). I didn't buy the bathroom door because I forgot the measurements. I didn't get any of the framing projects done because I put the priority on insulation. I can build the wall for the shower and the pedestal for the fireplace faster here at home with power tools and a nail gun anyway. I think another 5 batts of insulation will finish the job.

--MikeW

swanugly
# Posted: 19 Apr 2009 12:34

holy , nice going ! what a great place

unixfmike
# Posted: 19 Apr 2009 18:13

Thank you.

--MikeW

Pyro
# Posted: 21 Apr 2009 21:30

Awesome work!!! You're a force to be reckoned with for sure. I enjoyed the pictures quite a bit too.

Keep it up!

Joe

Anonymous
# Posted: 29 Apr 2009 21:29

Hey cousin of mine....I have to give you big Props..that pad is looking very nice. You have done great job with it. I was just hanging out with your mom the other day and I was asking about you and how the cabin was coming, she had said you were almost done, so i thought i would return to your website to check it out. Hope all is well. When am I gonna see ya? Any plans on coming home here to Calif anytime soon? Well take care cousin. Love ya..ERIKA

unixfmike
# Posted: 30 Apr 2009 08:35

Thanks for the compliments. I'll be home for Thanksgiving. I'll email you later.

--MikeW

unixfmike
# Posted: 2 May 2009 17:33

My wife, daughter, and myself went up last night. Just by adding the insulation kept the inside temperature about 64-66 degrees F. It was comfortable. I didn't get much work done, but did get materials delivered. Man, I was washed out again. The storm went from a slight drizzle, to a downpoor, and my road in became a stream. In about half an hour we went from barely hearing the rain, to rush loading the suburban and haulin' butt out of there.

I was able to stuff 3 rolls of insulation in to the east and west walls before we had to get going. At least more insulation is complete, more paneling complete, the big elk rack is hung, and the other taxidermy stuffs are delivered. Next trip up I still have 7 panels there to hang and 1 roll of insulation to stuff, plus the kitchenette I'm drawing up now, and the stove. For now, here's a few new pictures to get by on.

1. The bathroom door with hardware installed!
2. The east wall paneling (unfinished because we had to go right now).
3. Insulation in the west wall (the two pieces below the window just stuffed in a temporary spot).
4. My oddball elk antlers (sheds found on Fort Sill).

--MikeW
week_13_01.jpg
week_13_01.jpg
week_13_02.jpg
week_13_02.jpg
week_13_03.jpg
week_13_03.jpg
week_13_04.jpg
week_13_04.jpg

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.