Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Step one, two and three!
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
unixfmike
# Posted: 9 Jun 2010 21:34

tomorrow night I am going up to the cabin to install a clear water pump that I built. I am also going to finish off some interior work and relax after a month away from the family at work.

--MikeW

P.S. I included a how-to of the pump goign from fountain to in-line. Feel fre to use it as you must. The file is in MS Works format (WPS). Sorry about the format, I am on a computer that is new to me.

unixfmike
# Posted: 12 Jun 2010 15:21

I'm not sure why, but that how-to for the inline pump didn't post. I will continue to try to convert that so everyone can see it.

I went up to the cabin a 3 days ago. I was quite impressed to see it made it through a fairly harsh winter in Oklahoma. Here is the missing items that needed to be finished.

--MikeW
bathroom_ceiling_mis.jpg
bathroom_ceiling_mis.jpg
last_two_half_panels.jpg
last_two_half_panels.jpg
last_sheet_in_bathro.jpg
last_sheet_in_bathro.jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 12 Jun 2010 15:26

Here are the things I completed. I hung the ceiling in the loft. I was able to put the window trim on both windows. For the record, I will be adding two more windows upstairs hopefully next weekend. I would have posted pictures of both windows, but they look identical just facing different directions. Use your imagination. The water pump is a top view. It works good enough for me. The shower curtain was a US$3.00 must have item.

--MikeW
loft_ceiling_complet.jpg
loft_ceiling_complet.jpg
shower_curtain_hung..jpg
shower_curtain_hung..jpg
water_pump_installed.jpg
water_pump_installed.jpg
window_trimmed_in.JP.jpg
window_trimmed_in.JP.jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 13 Jun 2010 19:18 - Edited by: unixfmike

Here's the how-to for that pump.

--MikeW
cabin_clear_water_pu.pdfAttached file: cabin_clear_water_pu.pdf

ruckfly
# Posted: 18 Jun 2010 02:08

Nice work! Had a question for you about vapor barriers/visqueen Like you, I tar-papered the exterior, ran r13 and I'm about to throw my interior panels up. A buddy of mine mentioned the fact that I might need a vapor barrier between paneling and r-13 to protect against condensation. Like you, my cabin is a glorified shed, not something I'm living in for extended amounts of time. To me it seems like a vapor barrier and the tar paper is overkill. Our cabin is in central Washington, dry side some snow but not very harsh weather. I do plan to put in a small wood stove (sheep herder style), had to promise my wife. I have the ozark stove too, they rock! Take care. AJ

unixfmike
# Posted: 21 Jun 2010 08:54

Like my cabin, I doubt you'll have a need for a 3rd vapor barrier? The asphalt paper on the outside is the 1st and the backing on the insulation is the 2nd. I don't really see a need for a 3rd layer unless you experience never ending rain. Not to mention the fact that insulation will act like a sponge.

--MikeW

Kudzu
# Posted: 27 Jun 2010 17:43

looking good.

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 7 Jul 2010 22:26

Hi, new here, Nice work, thanks for the detailed reports, your project is very inspiring

unixfmike
# Posted: 8 Aug 2010 15:20

I spent some time at the cabin again this weekend. Unfortunately it wasn't much more than an overnight trip. I was finally able to finishe the one last nightmare wood panel with 2 power outlets, two light switches, and a circuit breaker box to cut out in it, not to mention the door. I also wired in two more outlets. I was able to finish trimming out my last window down stairs. Speaking of stairs, I finally have two steps going up to the front door! It is a heck of a lot better than two levels of loose and wobbly bricks. I think it might be safer too. Me and the boy walked around the land for a while looking for "thin" sapplings to use for a hand rail. Those are not easy to find, nor are they easy to cut to the correct fit. I was lucky enough to manage with a sharp chain saw blade and a lot of familiarity with the chain saw.

Other than that, I had to clean up the undergrowth on the road in, and fix a couple of broken things. I did notice that my shower might be leaking from the drain, what a total buzz kill. A quick rain storm poured down and kind of forced us out. If I had the Jeep I wouldn't have minded. I wasn't going to risk a bad storm in a heavy 2 wheel drive with a lot of "soupy mud". Countdown, 5 days before I go back!

--MikeW
DSCN1003.JPG
DSCN1003.JPG
DSCN1005.JPG
DSCN1005.JPG

beagle1374
# Posted: 8 Aug 2010 16:57

Thanks for all the ideas and a great cabin you have.

unixfmike
# Posted: 8 Aug 2010 17:59

Thanks for the compliment. I like your land you got there too. I see lots of similarities. Best of luck with your build.

--MikeW

unixfmike
# Posted: 27 Aug 2010 23:28

This is awesome. I was able to get more work done this weekend. I also was able to get an internet connection through my cell phone. this is awesome stuff. I will have pictures to post once I get home tomorrow.

--MikeW

unixfmike
# Posted: 28 Aug 2010 17:37

Here are the pictures from the work I did thrusday night, and friday.

--MikeW

01. I started cutting trees for a clover patch (deer food).
02. Stairs with handrail. The closet is also trimmed in.
03. I made a carroms board similar to "Dungeon Maze" for the kids.
04. The loft wall is finished.
01_clover_patch.JPG
01_clover_patch.JPG
02_stairs.JPG
02_stairs.JPG
03_carroms.JPG
03_carroms.JPG
04_loft_wall.JPG
04_loft_wall.JPG

unixfmike
# Posted: 28 Aug 2010 17:39 - Edited by: unixfmike

More work pictures..

--MikeW

05. Bathroom ceiling finsihed.
06. Bathroom walls finished.
07. Rise on the stairs is boxed in.
08. Fancy cutting on the handrail.
05_bthroom_ceiling.J.jpg
05_bthroom_ceiling.J.jpg
06_bathroom_wall.JPG
06_bathroom_wall.JPG
07_stair_rise.JPG
07_stair_rise.JPG
09_stairs_rise_top.J.jpg
09_stairs_rise_top.J.jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 28 Aug 2010 17:45

More progress. The last picture from Thursday and Friday night. The bathroom needs to get painted and floored. The living room needs to get floored. The ceiling needs 3 last panels hung. The loft needs 2 panels hung, but I m going to install some windows before that happens. I got some ideas, and I'm going out to see what material are avilable here at the house so I can start playing!

--MikeW

09. Stairs complete.
09_stairs_rise_top.J.jpg
09_stairs_rise_top.J.jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 12 Sep 2010 17:57

More recent projects to take up.

1. the new table top
2. the whole little table (2x3 feet)
3. the shutters with my first painting
4. the deer target. it's time to start practicing from the deer stand

--MikeW
01_table_top.JPG
01_table_top.JPG
02_table.JPG
02_table.JPG
03_shutters.JPG
03_shutters.JPG
04_deer_target.JPG
04_deer_target.JPG

Kramer
# Posted: 13 Sep 2010 00:31

That's one heck of a steep set of stairs. What's the rise/run on it?

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Sep 2010 11:56

really good Post Mike.thanks for all the well info.
we are sure gonna need this.

unixfmike
# Posted: 19 Sep 2010 14:34

Kramer, if I remember right its a 10" rise and a 6" run. It's almost ship ladder. Quite a pain in the butt to travel up and down after a few drinks.

--MikeW

unixfmike
# Posted: 19 Sep 2010 20:53

I finally found my camera. Here are a few good pictures from the weekend.

01. This is a huge tarantula. I noticed something move inside a 8x8x16 cinder block. I saw it and I jumped. It's approximately 6" overall size.
02. My son playing big buck hunter. It's a game we love to have.
03. My first food plot (patch) is now 2 weeks old. Not doing so bad.
04. The weird tree. I'm not sure what is growing on it, but it sure looks cool.

--MikeW

P.S. more to come...
01_tarantula.JPG
01_tarantula.JPG
02_zack_playing_buck.jpg
02_zack_playing_buck.jpg
03_two_week_food_plo.jpg
03_two_week_food_plo.jpg
04_weird_growth_on_f.jpg
04_weird_growth_on_f.jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 19 Sep 2010 21:00

More pictures.

05. My desired location for a second food plot (patch).
06. The clearing for the second plot from the north. It's about 8 feet wide and 40 - 45 feet long.
07. The clearing for the second plot from the south.
08. The racoon skin is out of the house and into the cabin. It's up there with other misc taxidermy works.

--MikeW

P.S. just 2 more...
05_new_food_plot.JPG
05_new_food_plot.JPG
06_new_plot_from_nor.jpg
06_new_plot_from_nor.jpg
07_new_food_plot_fro.jpg
07_new_food_plot_fro.jpg
08_racoon_hung.JPG
08_racoon_hung.JPG

unixfmike
# Posted: 19 Sep 2010 21:03

Last two pictures.

09. Shutters open.
10. Shutters closed.

I still have one more set of shutters to make. I need to get on that soon too. I also have a few other misc projects to add to the cabin, such as gun racks and flooring and paint. More to add to this week's work for around the house action.

--MikeW
09_shutters_open.JPG
09_shutters_open.JPG
10_shutters_closed.J.jpg
10_shutters_closed.J.jpg

Marcosmyros
# Posted: 21 Sep 2010 15:02 - Edited by: Marcosmyros

Glad to see I am not the only crazy person in oklahoma wanting to live smaller.

unixfmike
# Posted: 21 Sep 2010 21:26

I can't necessarily say that I am looking to live smaller (even though I wouldnt complain). I am actually building my deer camp, and that has turned into a weekend getaway, and that is turning into an archery and gun range, and a large personal garden, etc. etc. etc.

Thank you for reading along.

--MikeW

unixfmike
# Posted: 8 Oct 2010 02:34

I fixed my shower! I had a problem with a narrow faucet (poor design). I replaced it with a decent valve and not I have great water output. Too bad the valve looks ugly :( I'll take clean and ugly over stinky any day.

--MikeW

P.S. I'll try to post pictures once i get back home, or after I try taking them with the cell phone.

unixfmike
# Posted: 10 Oct 2010 20:14 - Edited by: unixfmike

Well I was able to get a little stuff done again. 11 hours after arriving back at the cabin I got called into work. So here is what little I was able to accomplish in the short period before bed.

1. My gunrack my daughter painted.
2. I replaced the pretty shower knobs for the better functioning ball valve. It doesn't look too good but it works.
3. My 3/4 window shutters wth a bear painted on them.
4. The overhead shelf that will run the full length of the front wall.

I got some hunting tomorrow and deer feeders to build. Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to spend more time doing some work.

--MikeW
01_gunrack.JPG
01_gunrack.JPG
02_shower_valve.JPG
02_shower_valve.JPG
03_bear_shutters.JPG
03_bear_shutters.JPG
04_overhead_shelf.JP.jpg
04_overhead_shelf.JP.jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 17 Oct 2010 16:33 - Edited by: unixfmike

So more updates. I spent this weekend hanging out.I also built 3 new deer feeders and filled them, but I did not take pictures. They are on 3 natural trails.

1. The bathroom is painted!
2. The bathroom is painted! (now to put in all the trim).
3. I put up another cieling panel and built the other 1/2 of my shelf that goes the full length of the front (west) wall.
4. This is the original land plans, and where I stand now.

Hopefully I will be able to finish up some more next weekend. I am not sure if I will have time, or if I will be out in Lexington deer hunting!

--MikeW
01_bathroom_painted..jpg
01_bathroom_painted..jpg
02_bathroom_painted..jpg
02_bathroom_painted..jpg
03_ceiling_panel_hun.jpg
03_ceiling_panel_hun.jpg
04_cabin_land_plans..jpg
04_cabin_land_plans..jpg

unixfmike
# Posted: 8 Apr 2011 18:11

I woke up this morning, went and bought my flooring, hooked up the trailer with the ATV, and went for a 3 hour drive for a weekend of finishing the cabin and some much needed ATV joyriding. Apparently in the recent weeks there was a wildfire that swept through the area. My cabin is now ashes. Along with my generator, tools, kitchen utilities, those huge Elk antlers, a few bbguns.

Sigh, what a bummer. Looks like a horrible end to this great project.

--MikeW
00_burned_trees_not_.jpg
00_burned_trees_not_.jpg
01_burned_deer.jpg
01_burned_deer.jpg
02_cabin_foundation_.jpg
02_cabin_foundation_.jpg
03_burned_remains.jp.jpg
03_burned_remains.jp.jpg

bugs
# Posted: 8 Apr 2011 19:20

Unixfmike

Am speechless. So very sorry for your loss. Hope you can rebuild.

All the best

bugs

hattie
# Posted: 8 Apr 2011 21:08

My heart truly breaks for you and this terrible loss. It is the one thing that we all fear and it is heartbreaking when it happens to someone who has put so much hard work into their dream. I am so sorry....

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.