Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Step one, two and three!
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 .
Just
# Posted: 8 Apr 2011 21:36

may the spirit that helped you build the cabin help you now !!

naturelover66
# Posted: 8 Apr 2011 21:43

so sad.

Gary O
# Posted: 8 Apr 2011 22:22

Whoa.....been close to that.....'bout an hour from burn down if the wind was going south instead of north.......a neighbor was not so lucky.

I just traveled your thread in memoriam.
So sorry man.

My neighbor is rebuilding, sure hope you do he same.

Happier trails soon, is my hope for you, Mike and family.

Gary O'

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 8 Apr 2011 22:30

very sad, hope you can rebuild before deer season..........

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 9 Apr 2011 18:05

I reread the story of your dream last night. I told your story to my husband (non-cabin person) this morning. His comment was "shouldn't he be able to rebuild with the insurance money?" I explained how hard it is for some to get insurance on cabins. Did you have it?
If it were within my power, I would ask all the members to get together for a week and rebuild for you....

canadian girl
# Posted: 9 Apr 2011 19:49

absolutely heartbreaking :( Good luck in the future .

unixfmike
# Posted: 9 Apr 2011 22:45

Nope, no insurance. I just have clean property and hope.

--MikeW
10x12_pheonix_cabin..jpg
10x12_pheonix_cabin..jpg

Damence
# Posted: 10 Apr 2011 00:01

Really sorry to hear this news. Best wishes to you and your family.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 10 Apr 2011 08:32

Quoting: Erins#1Mom
If it were within my power, I would ask all the members to get together for a week and rebuild for you....

kinda like a cabin rasing..............i would go help.

i always worry about having insurance. i went to my insurance agent last thursday and got insurance on the new cabin i am building, i figured it would be a problem , with already having a existing cabin on the farm and he said no problem, email me a pic of the structure ( floor system and walls stood up and sheathed) and how far it is from the other cabin...(300ft north).............he sent me back a email that afterboon, for a $25000 coverage for around 125 bucks a year....this is a blanket policy from my homeowners ,,,,,,,,,,,,,my home is 30 miles from the camp. Got to love small towns where your agent is a neighbor down the road.

nicalisa
# Posted: 10 Apr 2011 09:40

unifxmike,

I am so sorry for your experience!!! It is the very thing we worry about all of the time. I hope that you rebuild, take all of your experience; throw away the bad, capitalize on the good, and find a new Phoenix of a small cabin.
My heart is with you.

Just
# Posted: 10 Apr 2011 10:01

unixfmike
Pheonix
what about one of those parshily under ground things with a earthen roof ? warm in winter cool in summer . if you have a high and dry spot..??

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 10 Apr 2011 13:35

unifxmike,
I have no words...
Pheonix - good name for the new cabin.

unixfmike
# Posted: 10 Apr 2011 14:37

I am going to build again. This time will be significantly smaller. I'm also going to take a vacation from work to build it. I figure if I can about 9 consecutive days off, I can build it. I might go up next weekend just to start cuting down burned trees. I'm going to start working on the plans here in a few minutes.

The partially underground idea is good too, but I don't have the water resources for cement or the manpower/equipment to dig.

--MikeW

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 10 Apr 2011 19:02 - Edited by: MikeOnBike

Mike,

Sorry about your loss. We are in range fire country and I fear this very thing. We have used fibercement siding as we are trying to encapsulate the shed in fibercement and metal in hopes that it doesn't ignite if/when a fire comes through.

Was your siding painted plywood? The fibercement is a bit more expensive. Will you have the budget to use something like it for your rebuild? Do you think it would make a difference? I'm afraid if the fire is unattended then it only takes one chink in the armour for it to burn. I still need to enclose under the shed so burning material doesn't blow under and start a fire.

unixfmike
# Posted: 10 Apr 2011 19:53

Yep, painted plywood. I haven't even checked the fibercement, It might be in the budget. I'm not sure if it would make a differene or not. The heat was so intence it liquified my glass windows, and the blocks in the foundation all cracked.

I think I'm going to set my goals for the next build small. I think my goal on the rebuild will include larger a firebreak too.

--MikeW

bobrok
# Posted: 10 Apr 2011 21:50

unixfmike,

I hadn't known at all about your thread before this disaster befell you, and tonight I just read it from the beginning. This is such a sad end to your build and I feel so bad for you and your family. You put so much work into this place and accomplished so much in so little time, and all of a sudden it's been taken from you.
It takes a determined person to persevere in the face of catastrophe, but I sense that you are that kind of person, and I don't doubt for a minute that you will do this.
Good luck to you.

bob

KRM45
# Posted: 10 Apr 2011 22:31

Mike,

I'm new to this site, but I enjoyed reading your thread and following your progress through the pictures. I'm very sorry for your loss.

I'm building a place in Seminole County, just the other side of Holdenville from you. I worry about fires too, so I have purchased insurance through Farmers Insurance in Holdenville. The guy's name is Kevin Pinion.

unixfmike
# Posted: 11 Apr 2011 18:36

Bob, it's a breakdown of cost to me. For around $4,000 I got about 80 weekends of fun up there with my family. That breaks down to about $50 per weekend of fun. I can't afford to get into a carnival that cheap. The family got to know each other as people and do some real bonding. So even if I don't build as big, the experiences will be similar. We have new ATV's to bring up now so there will be less walking around. We all have new toys to use there. How could I not rebuild, we lost the cabin not the land! Woo Hooo, the land is still paid off!!!

So this spring, I will build a glorified tool shed with some windows and plant the biggest garden I can in all the ash. I'll take some vacation time this summer to finish the inside, and prep my deer plots and pond. This winter, I'll hunt the land and hopefully kill some of the deer that didn't die in the fire. (That part sounds horrible).

KRM45, Thank you for the heads up on Kevin. I'll get ahold of him when I figure out the floorplan and know how big I am building.

--Mikew

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Apr 2011 19:29

Quoting: unixfmike
Bob, it's a breakdown of cost to me. For around $4,000 I got about 80 weekends of fun up there with my family. That breaks down to about $50 per weekend of fun. I can't afford to get into a carnival that cheap. The family got to know each other as people and do some real bonding. So even if I don't build as big, the experiences will be similar. We have new ATV's to bring up now so there will be less walking around. We all have new toys to use there. How could I not rebuild, we lost the cabin not the land! Woo Hooo, the land is still paid off!!!

Geez, Mike, that is some unsinkable attitude, and a wonderful example of a positive outlook.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the next build as much or more than the first.

Keep on keepin' on.

Gary O'

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Apr 2011 20:10

I really like the simplicity of your 'Phoenix'
For a quick/easy/inexpensive build, I've often considered an 8 x 8 leanto and deck, with the front wall being a tilt up, having screen or netting, and removable half walls.

Just a suggestion for a quick build for your summer, and a bit more room.
8_x_8_leanto_3.jpg
8_x_8_leanto_3.jpg

bobrok
# Posted: 11 Apr 2011 22:27

Mikew,

All I can say is "wow"! You've lost something that you put so much hard work into and yet you can overcome your loss with a smile and a $50 a week price tag.

You are indeed a special person. The world could use more like you, my friend.

bob

bushbunkie
# Posted: 12 Apr 2011 17:54

So sad to hear, mike....but awesome attitude!
You still have the land and that's where all your great opportunities spring from. Heck...the cabin is simply what keeps you dry!
Best of luck to a great cabin dwelling spirit...I think phoenix would be a very fitting name....rise from the ashes!!!!

unixfmike
# Posted: 13 Apr 2011 18:10

Thank you all for the kind words.

--MikeW

unixfmike
# Posted: 16 Apr 2011 12:08

Here we go again, but over there. --> http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_1006_0.html

--MikeW

neb
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 09:49

That is very sad and keep your dreams alive. I also have some concern for the place I will be building it is in an area that could go up in smoke very fast. It is one of the things living of grid that can happen and will happen to some. It is like living in the 1800 hundred's all over again. That is why we choose to build where se do. Sorry to hear of your hardship.

Bobjr59
# Posted: 29 Jan 2016 00:30

unixfmike
I bought a 1/2 acre parcel in lake Eufaula just east of you I'm thinking of building a 8x16 cabin since it's just me . I'd like to get more information on the water table in my area to see if a well is a viable option.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.