Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My Ohio cabin
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
dfosson
# Posted: 14 Oct 2011 16:22

Thank you Erins #1 Mom! I can't imagine not having a porch. So very relaxing. I have plucked many bottles of wine off the wine bush at the cabin just for those evenings on the porch.
Nic crashed out in the evening
Nic crashed out in the evening
Kuma d.o.g. watching chipmunks
Kuma d.o.g. watching chipmunks
Come inside where its warm
Come inside where its warm
'wine bush' at the cabin
'wine bush' at the cabin

Tim
# Posted: 16 Oct 2011 18:31

Just a beautiful cabin! I am new here. I am just starting our 20X20 with a loft. We plan to move into it next summer, and have it payed off within a year. Then work 2 more years to build a nest egg and retire in our little get-a-way. I hope to be off grid for the most part!

Thanks for the inspirations!

Tim

Tim
# Posted: 16 Oct 2011 18:41

P.S.....we are in Ohio too! Building north of Dover, Ohio if you have heard of it. Where are you in southern Ohio?
Tim

dfosson
# Posted: 16 Oct 2011 19:40

About 10 miles south of Chillicothe, Tim. I do know where Dover is.
Your plan sounds rewarding. Building your own cabin is so much fun and doing it yourself saves a tremendous amount of money. I've done many cabin projects for the first time after researching every 'how to' site on the internet I could find. I purchased basic framing, wiring and plumbing books from Lowes and stayed true to most building standards provided. I've said previously that you pay an ignorance tax occasionally when doing the work yourself but fortunately its been without any penalty other than financial. Thank goodness Menard's has a liberal return policy. In hindsight, the fireplace, front porch, metal roof and sky lights were all really good choices that really made a difference. Don't short yourself on windows in your plans. The ranch windows I installed are double pane with screens from Menard's for $65 each; well worth it to open the place up. Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress. I highly recommend taking pictures all through the process, you won't regret it. Don't get discouraged by slow progress or bad weather. It really was hard waiting for winter to pass that first season.
Cabin work impacted by winter
Cabin work impacted by winter

Bevis
# Posted: 17 Oct 2011 21:07

Quoting: dfosson
Lots of overkill in construction.

That's the only way I build... Cabin looks nice.

Several years ago, I built a 48x32 Pole barn, the inspector came out to look it over and said it was way over built. He signied off on it and said he would not be back, if I was building it like I was doing.

dfosson
# Posted: 22 Oct 2011 12:43

Sitting on the cabin porch with a camera provides great Kodak moments in the woods.
SUNP0028.JPG
SUNP0028.JPG

dfosson
# Posted: 24 Oct 2011 20:58

With Fall in Ohio comes insects, mice, spiders, etc trying to get inside where its warm. If there is one thing I highly recommend not skimping on when building a cabin in the woods is silicone. We used it liberally on cracks and holes both inside and out; especially around cabinets, baseboards, windows and doors. Most people apply it to stop drafts but when building a cabin it is a great barrier that keeps the eight legged creatures out. It is so comforting to go to the cabin after days away and open it up while not finding any spiders, crickets, cock roaches or mice. Thought I'd share...

Tim
# Posted: 26 Oct 2011 05:58

The "V" groove T&G siding you used is exactly what I had planned to use on the inside of our walls. Did you find a deal on it? It is extremely expensive around here....It works out to almost $2 a square foot.

Tim

dfosson
# Posted: 26 Oct 2011 13:18

When I first started buying it at Menard's it was about $3 per 10' board for the 8". It doubled in price to about $5.90 each. I could still find it quarterly on sale for about a dollar off. Same way with what I put up on the ceiling. The 4"x10' boards are now over $3.50 each but Menard's has them on sale for $2.90 each about once a quarter. It's taking about 190 to do the ceiling but its well worth it even at under $600. Unfortunately, its taking about 5 gallons of stain w/poly to complete (a quart every 10 boards).

dfosson
# Posted: 30 Oct 2011 14:35

Another 300 board feet of T&G ceiling panels installed. It's rewarding to know over half is now completed. This part of the cabin project is painfully slow. I know the time and effort that has gone into doing it right will be long forgotten but right now, it's still wearing me out. Sure hope the wife and kids enjoy this when done.

Tim
# Posted: 31 Oct 2011 06:13

dfosson,
About 9 years ago, I did a ceiling with "V" groove in my "man cave". An old painter tought me a really great trick. Use a long nap paint roller cover, held in your hand like a wand. Dip one end in the stain, and use the other end for a handle. Just run it the length of your board quickly and it is done. Do about 6 boards or so, then go back and quickly wipe them down with an old towel. You can stain about 80 boards an hour like this.
Tim

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Nov 2011 18:33

dfosson, how did you get that aged color on your wood, example, the kitchen walls. Its exactly the look I'm after and dont have time to wait for it to darken up naturally. You did a fantastic job I might add.

dfosson
# Posted: 2 Nov 2011 18:51

All of the walls are stained using MinWax Wood Finish Early American 230. I applied 2 coats by brush and 2 coats of satin polyurethane. The wood is pine. The ceiling is coated with MinWax combination gloss polyurethane and antique oak finish. It has 3 to 4 coats depending on how much the first 2 coats soaked in.

larryh
# Posted: 3 Nov 2011 12:07

Its obvious that you all have excellent taste and an eye for scale and detail. I envy your marvelous location and ability to pull off such a wonderful looking place! I have long considered doing something along those lines but the cost of materials and the work have about eliminated the project from my mind. But seeing yours is a true inspiration.

I am curious about the type of clay soil you mention. I am in southern Illinois and we have heavy clay. I had thought as well about pier type footings but have a lot of concern for the post sinking and having all that work end up sagging. Did you do something special to insure they would stay level?

Also the exterior boarding is something I have used on several buildings previously built here. I am doing some painting now and I am distressed to find that after about 20 years some of them are literally falling in to shreds on the surface and not long for this world. Is yours some special kind of grooved exterior panel?

Larry

dfosson
# Posted: 3 Nov 2011 13:43

Larry, much of the soil on the farm, especially the hillside has clay and sandstone instead of the typical loose top soil. The 16 6x6 treated posts I used have concrete under and around them and they were all leveled and cured before building the deck. I put some gravel and rock in each 3' hole before pouring the concrete. So far, I'm not experiencing any settling that I can detect. I'm hoping the clay will help defend against too much water intrusion. I still need to get my gutters up so once the upper side roof run off is controlled, the foundation should last at least as long as I do. The exterior sheeting is just standard T1-11 with 8" center. I sprayed a high quality stain from Lowes on the exterior and will restain again in about another year just to give it a good protection coat. So far so good.

We only get one chance at life so I say, go build your cabin!! My cabin project is not on any schedule for final completion. We just do what I can afford both with time and money. Many supplies are available from house remodling projects such as kitchen cabinets, windows, doors, etc. Flea markets are also such a great place for furnishings and tools. Its been a fun effort. Thanks for your comments!

dfosson
# Posted: 3 Nov 2011 19:20

First fire of the season. An off the grid evening at the cabin. Nothing but the sound of rain on the metal roof, the crackle of the fire and my over weight chocolate labrador snoring at my feet.
Off the grid evening
Off the grid evening

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Nov 2011 22:56

Looks and sounds wonderful!

hattie
# Posted: 3 Nov 2011 23:31

Oh that is absolutely beautiful....Heaven on earth!!!

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 4 Nov 2011 19:49

dfosson,
now you are just rubbing it in! LOL.

dfosson
# Posted: 4 Nov 2011 20:50

Erins #1 Mom: If I can inspire one person and convince them that building a cheap dream cabin is achievable then its worth it. It sickens me to see how expensive pre-made buildings that are way too small are being sold for. Building the foundation, exterior walls and roof are pretty basic. I've never built anything before, not even a dog house. Doing the inside stuff to make a cabin warm and inviting is a little more challenging. My cabin matches the vision I had before starting and is getting close to achieving the atmosphere originally in mind. If successful when completed, it will be a place you don't want to leave. Happiness is doing the project and then sharing it with family and friends.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 5 Nov 2011 14:21

I showed a friend your post yesterday. He built a small cabin last year; there's so many things he would change if he could. No heat, no indoor plumbing, etc. I tried to get him on to this site prior to his starting but NO. Now he realizes that he should have at least looked at what the site had to offer.

dfosson
# Posted: 6 Nov 2011 20:19

Happy Hour at the cabin!!
Dave's ManCamp Happy Hour
Dave's ManCamp Happy Hour

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Nov 2011 22:04

Happy Hour at the cabin!!

OK, link to mug mfg so I can get a set like that. :D

gerard
# Posted: 6 Nov 2011 22:49

i love your cabin and want to build one myself. what do you expect the total building cost to be?

dfosson
# Posted: 7 Nov 2011 04:58 - Edited by: dfosson

gerard: I believe its coming in around $12,000 for all materials.

toyota_mdt_tech: I have a link on my blog website:
http://dave-mancamp.blogspot.com/
Personalized glassware from Wildwings.

dfosson
# Posted: 13 Nov 2011 16:44 - Edited by: dfosson

Nothing like a wood stove in the cabin on a cold November morning to percolate a rich, full body pot of coffee.
Cabin kitchen stove
Cabin kitchen stove
Percolating coffee
Percolating coffee
View out skylight above loft bed
View out skylight above loft bed

buckybuck
# Posted: 13 Nov 2011 17:50

dfosson,

I've been following your posts for a while, and admiring your progress. I live near Dayton and have 14 wooded acres in Vinton County, about 10 miles due south of Ash Cave. At some point, we plan to build a cabin there. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that your pictures give me lots of great ideas for that cabin I want to build some day.

When I travel to my property, I usually stop at "your" Menards in Chillicothe on my way to or from it. I know that's where I'll be getting most of my materials when I start my cabin. Maybe by then they'll have a "dfosson discount" for cabin builders!

dfosson
# Posted: 13 Nov 2011 18:55

Quoting: buckybuck
When I travel to my property, I usually stop at "your" Menards in Chillicothe on my way to or from it. I know that's where I'll be getting most of my materials when I start my cabin. Maybe by then they'll have a "dfosson discount" for cabin builders!

Now that is funny! I know that store better than most of their Associates. The layout is the same at the Lancaster Menard's, too. If I can't find it in Chillicothe, I go to Lancaster's. Keep in touch, I'm always interested in helping out. I have a coworker that bought 100 acres in Vinton County. He too is building a Mancave cabin on his back 40. Vinton Co has some of the most beautiful and remote land in Ohio. Wild boar hunting?! He bought his place with a modern post and beam house and an unlimited supply of natural gas for heating for $100k. Of course, there is not much there for convenience, neighbors or resources.

dfosson
# Posted: 13 Nov 2011 19:42

I was humored by a comment that a man needed to have a few conveniences at the cabin to satisfy his wife. My cabin is built with those same conveniences for just that reason. Personally, I like lighting off the oil lamps, building a fire and reclining back with a book or stepping out on the porch when nature calls. My wife wants running water, lights, cooking shows on tv and an indoor potty. I installed a antenna tower and was surprised how clear digital, HD signals come in through the air even in a remote location in southern Ohio. She can watch her cooking shows, enjoy the conveniences of modern living and still be 'off the grid' in the middle of the woods.
Free HD broadcast in digital over air
Free HD broadcast in digital over air
Skylight trimmed out in finished pine
Skylight trimmed out in finished pine
Cabinet handles
Cabinet handles

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Nov 2011 20:44 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Cabin Kitchen Stove...

Hey, I recognize the "Emeril Ware", I got the wife the same stuff. :D

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.