Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My Ohio cabin
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
dfosson
# Posted: 13 Nov 2011 20:56

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Hey, I recognize the "Emeril Ware", I got the wife the same stuff. :D

One of those cabin acquisitions she didn't know about until it was paid for! I bought the cookware from Elder-Beerman on sale one day when I was trying to figure out what to hang from my kitchen rack. She didn't know it existed until she saw it on my blog: http://dave-mancamp.blogspot.com

trollbridge
# Posted: 13 Nov 2011 21:01

Menards hasn't started the Trollbridge discount yet...though they really should! We have Menard's headquarters 20 minutes from our home and between that store and the other 4 that are options between home and around the cabin they sure have got a lot of our money, but I love Menards! They always have what we need and are very knowledgeable and helpful and price wise hard to go anywhere else!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Nov 2011 07:48

amazing place.u did a wonderful job here.and with no experience or skills???wow.this is wonderful.u are both very talented.thank u for sharing your great place.

dfosson
# Posted: 14 Nov 2011 20:47

My cabin art work.
living room pictures
living room pictures
dining area picture
dining area picture
living room pictures
living room pictures
living room pictures
living room pictures

old buddy
# Posted: 20 Nov 2011 16:32

I was wondering where you found your glass hurricane lamps? My mom and dad had several in the past (all glass) and I swear they would hold half a gallon of kerosine. I haven't found any like them but I like yours real well. Old Old Buddy

dfosson
# Posted: 20 Nov 2011 17:41

Quoting: old buddy
I was wondering where you found your glass hurricane lamps?

I do alot of my shopping at a place called the Old Shoe Factory Antique Mall in Lancaster Ohio. I have a link to it on my blog site:
http://dave-mancamp.blogspot.com/
They have a table full of them for between $12 and $25. I'm sure if you contacted them, they could send you a picture of their table full of lamps and send you one. I love the place; it is truly an old shoe factory with floors of antiques at reasonable prices. Check out their photo gallery at their website. I paid $15 each for mine. I also buy kerosene lamps at the South Bound Flea Market below Piketon, OH.
Olde Shoe Factory Anitique Mall
Olde Shoe Factory Anitique Mall
$6 lamp South Bound Flea Market
$6 lamp South Bound Flea Market

old buddy
# Posted: 20 Nov 2011 19:23

Thanks for the info. I like Lancaster. Both of my daughter's children were born there at Fairfield Medical Center. They have a really nice oak store somewhere on the opposite side of the road from the mall, and a little bit northwest of it. I'll give them a call. Thanks again! Old Old Buddy

dfosson
# Posted: 20 Nov 2011 20:38

I can't emphasis enough how important it is to take pictures when building a cabin. I ran across this 'corny' video I made the first year of construction of our cabin. Hard to believe it was only 2 years ago but when I watched it, I realized just how far we've come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0nFRHWltQI

brokeneck
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 23:50

great job love the pics

dfosson
# Posted: 18 Dec 2011 16:14

Santa Claus visited my cabin!
Santa's cabin visit
Santa's cabin visit

dfosson
# Posted: 18 Dec 2011 17:03

After almost 3 months, I've finally finished my cabin ceiling. I wanted it to contrast with the dark walls so I used an antique oak stain on pine. The ridge beam is finished in hickory with the same early american stain as the walls.
ceiling paneled and beam finished
ceiling paneled and beam finished
looking south
looking south
recessed lighting to illuminate the fireplace
recessed lighting to illuminate the fireplace
mantel for Christmas
mantel for Christmas

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Dec 2011 23:35

You must have been a good boy if Santa Claus came!!!

Congratulations on getting your whole ceiling done! It looks gorgeous! I like the different stain to offset the walls. Your red paint looks great too!

I so like your fireplace...I never even considered a fireplace cause I was thinking gas or the massively heavy, needing a concrete foundation type of base. What kind of firebox did you use? Is it vented like a wood stove?

At home we installed a gas fireplace. I'll have to try and get pictures, but we had a lot of fun finishing it all off together and were happy with the end result.

dfosson
# Posted: 19 Dec 2011 04:30

Quoting: trollbridge
What kind of firebox did you use? Is it vented like a wood stove?

It is a Marco pre-fab firebox. I bought it on Craigs List for $200. It has an 8" outlet that uses double lined pipe 12" outside, 8" inside stainless. Very little weight. Requires 2" from combustibles in rear. I installed it myself. It has a 2" vent line that takes air from outside when the glass doors are installed/closed. It also is wired with a blower to circulate air from below and route it out the top. I haven't put the doors yet so I haven't used this feature.

dfosson
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 07:26

Finished installing the flooring on the 8'x12' sleeping loft above the kitchen and bathroom. Moving on to posts and railing.
Sleeping loft.
Sleeping loft.

hattie
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 12:33

dfosson: I love everything about your place. It is gorgeous!!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 16:05

beautiful cabin---like the different color stains====kinda breaks it up some---fine build!!!!

MJW
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 16:52

Awesome looking cabin!

I want to break ground on one very much like this except just a tad bigger in about a year.

Any recommendations on resources for a first timer with very limited experience?

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 17:16

I still have trouble believing this beautiful place is16 x 24. It seems much bigger. I love that Santa came early to see you.

neb
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 17:30

Very very nice.

dfosson
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 22:55

Today I built my loft ladder. Nothing fancy, just stringers and rungs with lag bolts counter sunk and capped with wooden plugs. It'll be stained Early American, too. I also picked up the posts, hand rails and toe boards for the loft railing. Have to special order the wrought iron artwork of the black bears running through the woods. It will be 68"x29" and will be positioned in the middle of the 12' loft.

dfosson
# Posted: 26 Dec 2011 23:03

Quoting: Erins#1Mom
I love that Santa came early to see you.

It was a self portrait. I used a tripod and timer on my camera.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 14:54

dfosson,
tell me it isn't so!

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 15:04

dfossom,
Your railing is going to look nice.We are doing the same thing only our panel is a scene of trout swimming. Good ol' Menards...35 bucks in their outdoor clearance area. I'm excited to see yours all done.

dfosson
# Posted: 27 Dec 2011 17:32

Quoting: Erins#1Mom
tell me it isn't so!

I'm a 'free Santa' during the holidays instead of a "professional" Santa. If I got paid, I wouldn't do it. The picture was for our Christmas cards this year. Sorry to disappoint you #1Mom, confession is good for the soul.

dfosson
# Posted: 1 Jan 2012 07:09

Quoting: MJW
Any recommendations on resources for a first timer with very limited experience?

I referred to the Internet for alot of my 'training'. If I couldn't find it by Googling, "How to..." I often found it on a You Tube video. Some basic self help books at Lowes were helpful, too. I purchased one for wiring, one for framing, one for flooring. Good Luck!

dfosson
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 10:36

I've been working on the sleeping loft and just got the railing with cast iron artwork installed.
View from living room area
View from living room area
Sleeping loft view from access ladder
Sleeping loft view from access ladder
cast iron artwork
cast iron artwork
view from kitchen table
view from kitchen table

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 10:40

Good work!!! It looks very solid and beautiful! Your cast iron turned out really nice!! Did you pay more than at Menards? Can't wait to get to ours. You have a wonderful place to spend the night!

customrunner
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 10:43

Awesome just Awesome......

dfosson
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 10:48

Quoting: trollbridge
Your cast iron turned out really nice!! Did you pay more than at Menards?

trollbridge, it is another Menard's item. It was special order due to size and was $169. I'm pleased with it. I'm going to put another one with deer in the rails of the front porch this Spring.

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 14:22

O
Quoting: dfosson
it is another Menard's item.

I thought I recognized it! I also recognize those railing post(we have the same ones on a fence at our home)

What did you use to attach your post to your side of the loft floor? Is it really sturdy? When we do ours I don't want any wiggle at all.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.