Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My Ohio cabin
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
dfosson
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 17:15

Quoting: trollbridge
What did you use to attach your post to your side of the loft floor? Is it really sturdy? When we do ours I don't want any wiggle at all.

When I was framing the loft, I used 4"x4"x12' posts that sit on top of the framed walls. They are on 24" centers so they provide a solid foundation for the sleeping area. The one that runs on the outside edge was perfect for affixing the posts. I counter sunk and used 7"x1/2" lag bolts screwed into each one on the front side and wood screws on the back side. There is no wiggle.

dfosson
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 13:46 - Edited by: dfosson

Finally! A little bit of winter is slowly moving into southern Ohio. I envy those northerners that get feet of snow. Thought I'd post some pictures from this morning's visit.
A little winter mix coming down
A little winter mix coming down
View out kitchen window
View out kitchen window

dfosson
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 13:58 - Edited by: dfosson

Lane to cabin
Lane to cabin
Lane to cabin

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 14:11

Saw that you were getting some snow. It's always fun to see your cabin during different seasons isn't it? Enjoy the white stuff while it last!

dfosson
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 18:18 - Edited by: dfosson

Don't you just love doing something that changes your cabin for the better? Satuday I received an order from Cabela's that was window valances. They were on sale for $16/set. Every little touch makes a difference.
new window dressing
new window dressing
window valences
window valences

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 18:23

Looks great!

dfosson
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 13:56

Southern Ohio doesn't get much snow in the winter but we sure get our share of ice storms. A little one moved through last night and made the morning at the cabin enjoyable.
Ice crystals everywhere looking off porch
Ice crystals everywhere looking off porch
Pines are weighted with the ice
Pines are weighted with the ice
View out the cabin window
View out the cabin window
winter ice at cabin
winter ice at cabin

stubby72
# Posted: 1 Feb 2012 10:22

Wow, when I do my cabin I can only hope it turns out half as nice as yours!!! Such and eye for detail. Exactly what I want in one!!

dfosson
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 17:14

For someone that just loves snow storms and being snowed in at a cabin, southern Ohio is not the best place to be. We've hardly had a day below freezing this winter, let alone any snow. However, I was pleased to awaken and find at least some snow on the ground this morning. Hopefully before Spring, we'll get at least one snow of a foot or more.
morning's view
morning's view
not snowed in
not snowed in
porch friends
porch friends

neb
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 18:53

That is an awesome setting. Very nice looking cabin.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Feb 2012 19:15 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

fine looking cabin-----
just the right amount of snow--a good dustng

Anonymous
# Posted: 15 Feb 2012 01:41

wow

dfosson
# Posted: 18 Mar 2012 23:37

Off the grid doesn't mean you have to suffer in darkness. With LED solar lighting, a cabin in the woods can have plenty of mood lighting for those porch sitting evenings.
cabin porch with solar lighting
cabin porch with solar lighting
solar spot lights on forest pines
solar spot lights on forest pines
Nic home for Spring break enjoying night
Nic home for Spring break enjoying night
Lights in trees
Lights in trees

hattie
# Posted: 19 Mar 2012 01:27

Beautiful!!!!

dfosson
# Posted: 1 Apr 2012 23:17 - Edited by: dfosson

Installing hickory 3"x 3/4" finished flooring in the cabin main room. Still staining walls, doors and trim. Enjoying the new life Spring brings to southern Ohio.
Hickory flooring going down
Hickory flooring going down
Bathroom door stained
Bathroom door stained
view from porch
view from porch
Spring cabin
Spring cabin

hattie
# Posted: 1 Apr 2012 23:32

Oh I LOVE the stained bathroom door and the hickory flooring!! Simply beautiful!!!

ErinsMom
# Posted: 2 Apr 2012 21:23

I have to say, your cabin is one of my favorite.

Tim
# Posted: 4 Apr 2012 06:26

Simply beautiful! Nice work!!

dfosson
# Posted: 8 Apr 2012 19:02 - Edited by: dfosson

One of the objectives of designing our cabin was to make something as small as a 16'x24' structure to have a feel of a much bigger place. Another goal was to give it plenty of windows to let natural light in but more importantly, that can be opened in the Spring, Summer and Fall to allow gentle breezes to softly flow through. The scent of the forest air and sounds of nature under natural lighting is the perfect environment to kick back with a good book and relax. Finally, when the sun goes down in the evening or in the dark of a winter's night, the objective was to create an atmosphere where you feel like you never want to leave. After 3 years working part time on a limited budget and at the price of a used automobile; we have achieved our objective. More pictures on my blog:
http://dave-mancamp.blogspot.com
Making small feel big
Making small feel big
Plenty of light and fresh air
Plenty of light and fresh air
Spring views
Spring views
fireplace
fireplace

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Apr 2012 19:20

Yes....I would say you have achieved your objectives! Your place is beautiful....I love your floors-they turned out great! Congratulations Dave....I bet you really do have trouble leaving!

dfosson
# Posted: 8 Apr 2012 19:36

Quoting: trollbridge
....I love your floors-they turned out great!

I've put down wood flooring before but this was the best quality I've ever worked with. It is Great Lakes Appalachian Hickory from Menard's. Every board fit perfectly and none were scrapped. I highly recommend this wood; very solid with a beautiful finish. It has a 50 year warranty on the finish.

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Apr 2012 19:44

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Menard's rocks!

We also have hickory floors that we are putting in our loft. My husband installs flooring and went to work for a guy who didn't like the variations in the wood-he thought they were all flawed-he was told by the store that he could just burn what he didn't want to use-WHAAAAT? My husband said he would take it and promptly loaded it up and brought it home! I love it and can't wait to get to install it! Can't believe the guy was going to burn it all!!!!!

Tim
# Posted: 9 Apr 2012 06:08

Boy! That turned out just beautiful!! Nice job....it looks so big without being TOO big. Can't wait to get the inside of mine finished.

hattie
# Posted: 9 Apr 2012 13:10

Your place is beautiful! I just love all the warm little touches you have. It is so inviting!!!

ErinsMom
# Posted: 9 Apr 2012 18:03

I am GREEN with envy.

dfosson
# Posted: 10 Apr 2012 21:28

Finished my bar with some metal art pines on the wall.

A Facebook friend thought I needed a hearth rug; I listen.
bar wall art
bar wall art
bar accents
bar accents
hearth rug
hearth rug

dfosson
# Posted: 13 Apr 2012 20:43

Quoting: hattie
Your place is beautiful! I just love all the warm little touches you have. It is so inviting!!!

Hattie, the greatest pleasure I've got from building my cabin has been from the searching, planning and purchase of things that will make it unique and inviting. I try to find bargains but more importantly I try to find things that project how I feel. At 56 years of age, I can't think of any other material things in life that have given me more pleasure than building this cabin. I truly appreciate the compliment.

BlaineHill
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 08:08

Great looking cabin. Thanks for posting all the pictures. I will soon be installing hardwood floors at my own cabin. Like you, a section of my floor will work its way around an existing stone hearth. I have been a little concerned about creating an attractive transition between wood floor and stone hearth. Can you give me any tips on what you did or plan to do for this transition? I see you started the project by running the boards from kitchen-to-hearth. Did you transition to hearth-to-kitchen runs in front of the hearth in order keep the wood-to-stone gap as small as possible? Your installation looks tight. Will/did you fill any small gaps? Do you anticipate adding a small quarter-round or any other transition material? Thanks for any advice.

dfosson
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 12:43

Quoting: BlaineHill
Will/did you fill any small gaps? Do you anticipate adding a small quarter-round or any other transition material?

BlaineHill: I did try to keep the gaps small both on the sides where long boards were ripped to fit and those that had to be end cut. I was going to stain trim but chose instead to use colored silicone. I found brown silicone in tubes at both Lowe's and Menard's so it was used to fill the gap and then smoothed with a wet index finger.

ErinsMom
# Posted: 14 Apr 2012 20:32

I see on the hearth the wine bush brought in for the winter. Good idea. Wouldn't want to kill that bush.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.